• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: De vieux murs (some old walls).

Jerome Marot

In the part of France where my family comes from, limestone is abundant and makes perfect building material. The amount of skill that went into building walls always amazes me.

More to come, if you are interested.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Jerome
Yes drop more!
walls are part of the culture and are all different worldwide, showing how people live, are rich or poor, what feeling they put into drawing and building their own nest.

A wonderful subject ! (and a nice image BTW though I'd like the plant to pop out a bit more, but that's just me!)

Jerome Marot

Thank you. Maybe this plant will pop out a bit more?

(The plant is obviously part of the local culture as well.)

Sam Hames

More! :)

I love the view into this little slice of the world - there's. a character and a history to each of them. Would you know roughly when they would have been constructed?

Mark Hampton

In the part of France where my family comes from, limestone is abundant and makes perfect building material. The amount of skill that went into building walls always amazes me.

More to come, if you are interested.

interested - yes - others have said keep them rolling in

Mark Hampton

strange I have become more interested in the walls - the function of them does not matter to me - l could look at the unbroken/broken spaces for a long time - when it comes to a door - or other giver of context i just go meh -

there is for me something about the way that the repetition in the wall is a mirror of how each stone was shaped. by hand.

Jerome Marot

strange I have become more interested in the walls - the function of them does not matter to me - l could look at the unbroken/broken spaces for a long time - when it comes to a door - or other giver of context i just go meh -

This picture should tell you a bit more about the context.

there is for me something about the way that the repetition in the wall is a mirror of how each stone was shaped. by hand.

The walls look like some kind of gigantic jigsaw puzzle, but there is a reason for the individual layers not to have the same thickness: the stones themselves come in layers in the quarries. The stone layers did not have to select or shape them individually... Still: it takes lots of skill to mount a good stone wall.

nicolas claris

De vieux murs Espagnols (some old Spanish walls).

In a recent thread, Jerome did post some interesting walls.
As I don't want to hijack this thread, I have created this one to show some other walls, built in Spain and shot a few year ago (in 2008 iirc). Would Jerome accept it I'll be glad to merge the 2 threads…

in the meantime…

_G8A1619.jpg

© Nicolas Claris

_G8A1643.jpg

© Nicolas Claris

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hello Nicolas,

These images bring back memories even if one has never seen them before.

_G8A1619.jpg

Nicolas Claris: De vieux murs Espagnols #1

The shadow, at first is a paradox as one would think that somehow a light from below, threw up a shadow from the humble plant we can see at the base of the wall. Then we realize that instead, the shadow before us comes from something above us, almost a metaphor for God.

_G8A1643.jpg

Nicolas Claris: De vieux murs Espagnols #2

Here the shadow, itself takes us back in type to the earlier days of photography with pictures like this made from all sorts of experiments with so many substances like salt, albumin iron salts and more.

Asher

nicolas claris

Isn't it the purpose of a forum to post more about a given subject in the same thread? ;)

Of course Jerome
I just didn't want to hijack yours : )

@ Asher
I'm on location shooting till end of ne t week, writing with an iPhone...
Can you merge the 2 threads?
Thank you!!!

Mark Hampton

This picture should tell you a bit more about the context.

The walls look like some kind of gigantic jigsaw puzzle, but there is a reason for the individual layers not to have the same thickness: the stones themselves come in layers in the quarries. The stone layers did not have to select or shape them individually... Still: it takes lots of skill to mount a good stone wall.

ahh - ok - i was interested in the walls - hand made - almost obsessional in their construction - for me leaving out the context of the building allows more scope for reading - this is where the 1st images worked and the later ones become images of a place...

its not a direct criticism more an observation.

Jerome Marot

ahh - ok - i was interested in the walls - hand made - almost obsessional in their construction - for me leaving out the context of the building allows more scope for reading

This was indeed what I was trying to do: taking details of the buildings construction in insulation to bring more attention to the construction. On the house above, I got this:

Sam Hames

This was indeed what I was trying to do: taking details of the buildings construction in insulation to bring more attention to the construction. On the house above, I got this:

It's funny you mention bringing attention to the construction - without the earlier photo I read this as a window --- I'm not sure it changes anything important but my sense of scale, but...

I am really enjoying this view of your local world - the details in these not extraordinary buildings is fascinating compared to modern construction.

Jerome Marot

I am really enjoying this view of your local world - the details in these not extraordinary buildings is fascinating compared to modern construction.

Thank you. Most of the walls are from old houses and just reflect the way old buildings were constructed in that part of the world. But we also have churches and castles, of course.

Sam Hames

Just reiterating that I'm enjoying this series very much! Absolutely fascinating set of details in each and every one.