• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Depth of field and sensor size

fahim mohammed

Doug, Jerome, Cem, Bart.

My thanks to all for that informative discussion.

Best regards to all.

p.s I want to post some pictures now.

Doug Kerr

For those wishing to look into what happens in various cases of interest, there are numerous "depth of field calculators" available.

Some caution is needed in applying them. Some use a fixed COCDL, which may or not be appropriate for all cases (especially when differing sensor sizes are involved).

Some allow us to choose a sensor size from a list and/or enter the sensor dimensions. Then they calculate a COCDL based on that (using a certain "premise") and use that in the calculations.

Some allow us to choose a sensor size but separately change the premise of COCDL choice.

These will all work, but we just need to pay attention to what is going on.

I do most of my DoF work with this Excel spreadsheet:

http://Dougkerr.net/Pumpkin/articles/DOF_calculator.xls

It allows us to use several schemes of systems of units (via different sheets).

It makes no presumptions for us. We must enter all the basic parameters of each case.

It allows a number of cases to be established (on different lines) so we can make comparisons.

An illustrative example is in place on the first line. It can of course be replaced by a specific example.

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

Hi, Fahim,

Yes, that was a lovely facility on the lenses of teh time.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi Doug,

I could go and buy a brand new latest production batch Leica lens today and it would be have the same facility. The optical design might and indeed could be different; but the ' facility' we talk about is there in all of them. The same as it always was.

One of the ' charms ' of Leica for me.

As a matter of fact, I am more and more ' progressing ' towards the older Leica M-mount designs
as opposed to the modern clinical ones.

Leica does not make any lenses for M-mount designed specifically for the cropped sensor M8 digital camera. Like Canon or Nikon or Pentax ( and others ? ) do fo their system/s of cropped sensor dslr.

Regards.