• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Devi

Prateek Dubey

r172846-fullsize.jpg

Prateek Dubey : Devi

Devi is the hindi word for Goddess. The photograph shows immersion ceremony of the idol of Goddess Durga. Durga is revered in India in many forms and has many stories associated with her. Here she is perhaps the most important icon of Bengali culture ( the culture of the state of West Bengal). Every year for four days Durga Puja ( puja stands for prayer) is celebrated sometime in sept /Oct all over the country. The most elaborate rituals being performed in West Bengal, it marks the end of the nine day war that the Goddess fought with the demon Mahishasur. The goddess was invoked by the rest of the Gods for all their efforts to contain the demon were to no avail. So Durga fought Mahishasur for nine days and nights before felling him. Durga has eight hands and besides weapons she carries instruments of music as well!
This picture was taken at Delhi, on the banks of the river Yamuna which flows through the city. Yamuna is highly polluted in Delhi. It is infact a dead river here, incapable of sustaining life. Each year thousands of idols are immersed in the river. Though the idols are made of mud, papier mache , there is an issue of colors. To the best of my knowledge, environment friendly colors are used to decorate her...

Umesh Bhatt

Wow! fantastic capture. While it appears that the people in the foreground are bowing down....It more likely is that they are prepping up to carry her over their shoulders...no? Also the newspaper is clearly visible on the left side....100% recycled!

Prateek Dubey

Wow! fantastic capture. While it appears that the people in the foreground are bowing down....It more likely is that they are prepping up to carry her over their shoulders...no? Also the newspaper is clearly visible on the left side....100% recycled!

Thanks Umesh, yes they're preparing to immerse her in the Yamuna river..

Another in a long line of fascinating images. I look everyday in hopes of seeing a new one posted up for our enjoyment. In this one, is that Mahishasur that we see to her lower right? I love the expression on that face. I hope you have a book in the works.
James Newman

Prateek Dubey

Another in a long line of fascinating images. I look everyday in hopes of seeing a new one posted up for our enjoyment. In this one, is that Mahishasur that we see to her lower right? I love the expression on that face. I hope you have a book in the works.
James Newman

Thank you James. Yes that is Mahishasur on the right and he's about to die...