• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Expression in Photography Series by Charlotte Thompson

Charlotte Thompson

a new Claudia

Peanut-1-1.jpg

Claudia, i am on shaky ground here but I like the look of the shot with the contrast of the sharp right eye versus the softness of the overall picture. I am a bit uncertain about the light patch on the right side, are you aiming for a certain style?

Martin

Charlotte Thompson

Martin

yes definetly developing a certain style I am
mostly with coloring
this was original black and white I enhanced
I do electric stuff-this is more subded
thank you appreciate your comments

Charlotte

I like the effect too Charlotte and even the big patch of light on the right I can live with. It is definitely different and in a style that I enjoy looking at. The small patch of light however, that is coming out of her left cheek is a little distracting to my eye.
James

Charlotte Thompson

James

I really didn't see that small patch of light-damn-thanks for drawing my attention to that!
you have a good eye sir*
I work in what I call electrix- my voice/style- I am going to post something tonight of it
I see you are from Houston so am I but a bit west-Katy
appreciate your feedback so very much next time my eye will try to train itself better*

Charlotte

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
RE: Claudia interviews the Machine

Hi Charlotte, I restrained myself from commenting on the previous two pictures you posted. Here however I decided, not commenting would be plain wrong.

I'm a cynic when it comes to "making art" using photoshop filters. I remember someone here say that he dislikes failed color photographs "drained of color" and being resurrected s B&W, "Art". So we all have our prejudices.

So I watched your work and now I can say I do like what you are doing. It would be worthwhile for you to write an introduction to what's on your mind.

Still, I'm impressed with the form of this photograph of "Claudia interviews the time machine". I do have a particular view that that when Art is compelling, it also "interviews" us.

This photograph has a powerful triangular composition. The improper ignoring if the "rules of thirds" placement of the head, adds some tension and awkwardness to the picture, but that's positive.

The angle of her head and here pensive attitude is engaging. The blue shapes covers all the 3 axes of a cube and give balance and stability to the composition.

This should be printed 6 foot wide!

Asher

BTW, are you embedding your © Charlotte Thompson in the IPTC code in the image? You should. also place that under the image!

Charlotte Thompson

RE: Claudia interviews the Machine

Asher

I do so appreciate your crit- I have just started working with this kind of style-my own electrix if you will and I love how it screams *out of the box* but that is me
I am a writer/poet of contempt/modern poetry and have been published etc. and I paint on canvas as well*
a friend of mine bought me a Nikon d40 and this is what I am showing with it
although I do traditional as well but really like this new thing I am developing for myself-
I always most always in art ignore rules- instead I go for freedom of self expression as such
as me-personal thing
I have no idea where I am going with this but it feels right-
again your insight is so valuable to me-my many thanks and I am sure I will be posting more work
thank you so very much

Charlotte

Charlotte Thompson

a new Claudia

I shot these in color and changed the mood and tone in dark sepia- what I call my electrix colors. I think she says much more in these graduated hues- I always use a Nikon D40 35 mm with a flash-

DSC_0481.jpg

DSC_0527.jpg

janet Smith

pro member
Hello Charlotte

I found myself covering up the RHS of the first one with a piece of paper to crop out the bubble bucket, I find it very distracting..... but maybe it's one of Claudia's favourite things, is this why you've included it?

Then I found myself doing the same with the second image, covering up the empty seat to the rhs, and preferred the look, IMHO they would both be improved by cropping the area to the right, but maybe you like them just the way they are......

Charlotte Thompson

Janet
thanks for the look see and your ideas
what I am doing is a photo shoot of this stunning child for the parents-a client
they want all sepia tones and hues the way I use color
also they want parts of what the child is doing-her toys etc-
I am going to to present what I have soon but I am not finished
all of the shots will be mounted on this huge wall in an entry way with same color frames
I enjoy her so much I can't tell you- btw I have cropped some of the others dunno if you have seen them-not all shots of course will be chosen by the client but I will show all of them
thank you again for coming by-appreciated

Charlotte

RE: Baby Woman

The longer I look the more I find these picture very different.

The fist picture has a soft look and makes me curious whats behind her shoulder. The chair on the right hand side of the right shoulder does not neccesairely need to be there.

The second has a harsh feel with the very bright face and the arm and body on the right side are reduce to one flat area.

Like the first one best.

Again, any specific C&C you are looking for?

Martin

Charlotte Thompson

Martin

thanks
working with colors and of course the true spirit behind the eyes-
this is a portfolio of this child
I couldnt really get all the noise out-grrrrrr but at least the attitude is right
thanks again for coming by and letting me know what you think
appreciated

Charlotte

Rachel Foster

My opinion...and I'm a RAW beginner with an undeveloped eye...is that the girl is exquisite. Focus might be a little soft, though. I would want to lose the background though.

I would -- again, please note: BEGINNER here myserf -- I would try black and white, hit the contrast a bit which can sharpen it, and then perhaps try to blur the background.

ETA: Neither of these are better (or even as good) as yours, but this is what I tried.

DSC_0532-3.jpg

girl2.jpg

Charlotte Thompson

Jacob

what an excellent muse you are
very interesting what you did with the shots-very- I am challenged then* thank you
I will try to see what I can do again- I do like very much what you did
and it inspires me- I have just started with this camera thing- I am working with a Nikon d40 and do like playing with colors other than traditional photos-I can see that you do too- if you care to look at my enhanched female you can see what I have done with my color attitudes- thanks again so much!

Charlotte

Cem_Usakligil

For Jacob= another try....
Hi Charlotte,

FWIW, the "Jacob" you have been communicating with is actually called Rachel (LOL).
Jacob Eliana is the name of the photography operation she has established in order to raise funds for the Foster Lifson Undiscovered Artists fund. The links are in her signature.

Cheers,

Cem

Charlotte Thompson

RE: Profile Claudia Baby

Doug

thank you for looking at this photo and your wonderings-
I color enhance with photoshop-picasa
I lovelovelove to do this with traditional photography
for me it is becoming my own sytle-still developing of course
she is a portfolio I am working with now- a stunning model for sure

Charlotte

Rachel Foster

I rather like the "Jacob," myself! Those are the names of my children, and Jacob is indeed an excellent muse!

I am enjoying seeing what you're doing with the editing, Charlotte. It can be wonderful fun and the creativity is energizing.

Charlotte Thompson

Then Jacob it is * and indeed he is an excellent muse!
thank you for coming back for the look see and your kindness

Charlotte

Charlotte Thompson

a new Claudia

could I get any feedback on this type of coloring enhancement-this is a style I am working on
opinions either way are appreciated-

DSC_0486.jpg

Rachel Foster

Charlotte, it's my pleasure. I have only been shooting since August and I know how very, very helpful feedback can be. It can be intimidating posting on a board like OPF where most members are so extremely talented and knowledgeable. My input is the least-informed you'll get here, but I do understand the new photographer's dilemmas! And your instincts look very, very good to me. Your model is incredibly beautiful and the poses you're posting have a great deal of charm.

For what it's worth, the people at OPF have given me a great deal of time and feedback. And I think it shows in my photos.