• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

flash novice

Jan Rifkinson

I have never used a flash but want to start. Recommendations/comments/suggestions/warnings for Canon 1D MkII? This will be for candid, i.e. non-studio, social events. Thank you.

Marian Howell

do you have a flash yet? i suggest the canon 580 as a great starter. that and sean's links will have you flying in no time. practice and experiment with the manuals handy for consultation. you'll soon find a comfortable working set of function settings that will get you through most of the time. then...you can start playing with them and really being creative!

Jan Rifkinson

Marian Howell said:
do you have a flash yet? i suggest the canon 580 as a great starter.
I don't have a flash unit as yet. Is the 580 the one that pivots, etc? And when u say it is a great starter what does that mean exactly? I don't like to buy to then buy up a few months later if I don't have to. BTW, sorry to be rude: my first line should have been thank you for the information. It's appreciated.

You are welcome Jan.

The 580 is Canon's top of the line flash so there is no buying up. You can get more powerful units from other companies, but not many. I have the 550 EX which preceded the 580 EXand it is great. The 580 EX is smaller than the 550 EX, has faster recycle times, and a better control layout.

enjoy,

Sean

Marian Howell

you're right, i should have been more clear on the "starter" description...i was thinking (but obviously not writing!) that you should get the flash made to work with your camera, and get the newest version of it, and that would be the 580. that flash will either suffice for a long time or/and be just the beginning :))))) and with the bonus of digital you can take the shot, check the lcd and the histogram, decide if you want more or less, make adjustments, and see what combinations you like, either at home while practicing, or on the spot (if time permits).
i have the 580 for my 5d, and, although i shoot mostly in natural light, sometimes you just gotta have it! so get the 580, read sean's links, and play with it on the camera and practice and re-read the manuals. here's a link to the 580 manual:
http://eosdoc.com/manuals/?q=580EX
hope that helps gets you started!

Will_Perlis

I'll suggest a 580 and a Stofen Omnibounce to avoid the typical "perp-walk" look of direct flash. The diffuser is not expensive, it's rugged, and can be used as drinking cup or to bail a small boat in an emergency. Once you get used to using flash you can start looking at fancier add-ons if you need them.

http://www.stofen.com/