• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Gaussian Blur

Neil Hunt

I'm guessing many won't like these, but since going digital a few months ago, I've been playing about with ways of recreating some of the feel of larger formats, especially less depth of field. To be honest without any real success, but it did lead into playing about with Gaussian Blur layers. Like them now, but probably won't in a couple of months.

4521_130385902847a2acd7eef56.jpg

4521_35305142047a2acdb5e4a0.jpg

Hi Neil. I like both of them, the second more than the first. Have you tried other blur modes with this type of manipulation? Surface and shape (particularly with the grad pattern) may give the more precision to the outer regions of the blurred area. Cheers, Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Neil,

I enjoy the fact that you are attempting to actualize intentions on your work. It is satisfying when you finally do it right just as your brain envisaged it.

Just share with me what are the qualities of LF you are building into the image and how you proceeded. There are so many aspects to LF!

Asher

Neil Hunt

Asher, the initial intention was to get the appearance of quite a wide field of view with a shallow depth of field and also to be able to control the plane of focus. No doubt the more photoshop gifted could do that quite well. Anyway, though that didn't come off as planned, this is what morphed out of it as playing about with blurring parts of the image is maybe an underused way of placing the point of interest where you want it.

Asher, the initial intention was to get the appearance of quite a wide field of view with a shallow depth of field and also to be able to control the plane of focus. No doubt the more photoshop gifted could do that quite well. Anyway, though that didn't come off as planned, this is what morphed out of it as playing about with blurring parts of the image is maybe an underused way of placing the point of interest where you want it.

Neil, I'm not sure which version of Photoshop you have, but it could be worthwhile to check out the "Filter>Blur>Lens blur" menu option for this purpose. It allows to do a realistic DOF blur based on a depth map or a mask that you can make yourself.

Bart