• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Grab Portraits Challenge: Fast Grab- Portaits: No lights, no reflectors.

Jim Galli

Asher

BTW. Would this 610mm and the ~460mm lens fit on a sinar lensboard?

Asher, this 24" Petzval is the exception. It's quite compact which also means it is smallish in aperture. I think it's f9 or f10. It was some kind of 1910's projection lens for a magic lantern. It's fun to use. On 8X10 or 7X11 it's mostly in it's sweet spot. It would probably cover 11X14 at infinity. The 460mm Verito, and f4 lens, is big. At least Wollensak didn't make everything out of machined brass like the older brass cannon's. It isn't terribly heavy like those can be.

Erie Patsellis

pro member
Lots of familiar names popping up, here's one of my grandaughter that I cuaght at her birthday party this past November,

DSCF7189.jpg

(shot with a Fuji S2, Nikon 300mm f4 EDIF-AF (first version), Metz 60CT flash​

Do dog candids count? Our chow Gracie was trying very hard to look as pathetic as possible, in order to finagle a bite of what we were eating at the time.

16sqfinal.jpg

(Hasselblad 500EL, 80mm Planar, Metz 60 CT strobe, bounced off ceiling)
Erie Patsellis

Last edited by a moderator:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
After swimming… so tired, but so happy!

_G8A1197.jpg

1Ds2 - 70-200 IS @ 200mm + 1.4 TC - ƒ9

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Grabbed with a 10sec warning of "I'm going to do a cartwheel!". I think it was luck that I caught it at the position that I did. A nice reminder image though - as it was the day we got engaged!

cartwheel_a_stannard.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nicolas,

The light on his face is great. All that would be lost in B&W. Still you must try that versioning on a landscape or urban scene.

That's one fancy beach towel. Whose kid is that?

So she just accepted the ring or this is in front of the hotel?

Andy,

My gosh, you are fit and a gymnast too! Great timing. Good thing you had a warning. What camera did you choose and what/who supported the camera? Congrats on the engagement. Then what? You did or are getting married?

A happy marriage to you. Tell her everyday you appreciate her.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Nicolas,

The light on his face is great. All that would be lost in B&W. Still you must try that versioning on a landscape or urban scene.

That's one fancy beach towel. Whose kid is that?

What B&W? -)

not mine! a son of some very good friends.

The swim was not on a beach, but in a swimming pool…

_G8A1192.jpg

the owel is in fact a canvas coming from Niger (not Nigeria)

Andrew Stannard

pro member
My gosh, you are fit and a gymnast too! Great timing. Good thing you had a warning. What camera did you choose and what/who supported the camera?
Asher

You misunderstand Asher - 'Tis me behind the camera, and my fiancee doing the cartwheel! I fear my own cartwheels are not as athletic! Canon 20D with 17-85 (sometimes bemoned for its IQ, but a great travel lens on a crop sensor, especially with IS).

Thanks for the congratulations - Dec 6th this year is the date. I shall be taking my own camera, but the idea of using the 10sec timer and running back from the tripod for every photo has been dropped in favour of a professional :)

doug anderson

Hi, here's our challenge this week!

Pictures where you have found the subject, ask or not and get the image fast, just enough to choose your position, maybe even there's, but not more than 20 secs or so!

I'll start. I visited an antique store and the Armenian gentleman was fascinating and friendly. I asked for his picture and turned him towards the light.

Antique_Dealer4247v1_AR.jpg

Antique Dealer in Los Angeles

f= 1.2, 1/400 sec, ISO 500 AV -1 EV 50 1.2L 5D

The idea is to do the capture on impulse and process so what is in your heart shows the image.

Now show me yours using any format camera, from digicam, to polaroid, or MF!

Asher

I'm a big believer in the impulse. Nice portrait.

Charles Lupica

Rainy day blues

I don't even remeber taking this picture, but I came across it when I was working with LightRoom.

BlackWoman_7179.jpg

Asher Kelman

I don't even remeber taking this picture, but I came across it when I was working with LightRoom.
[/IMG]
Hi Charles,

Do you recall even being in that place? In any case, I'm sure we all have so many treasures sitting in storage, unappreciated! We should have a search a hard drive for a forgotten treasure day!

Anyway, I like the look of her face. No wonder youy took the picture. I wonder what the very next image was as you we so distracted!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I was in New York and just hanging around with David Goldfarb, shooting in his favorite haunts. I met this lady, Suzanne and found her looks exotic and intriguing. So she allowed me to take he picture.

_MG_5687with selction from shad-H layer 500 pixels.jpg

I like her especially because she's fun, approachable, interesting, highly educated and very hard working. I was lucky that she agreed to meet me and in 30 minutes I completed a shoot, the fastest I have ever tried. This was just before the shoot as she sat by the grand piano in the hotel lobby. The pictures in the street are posted under fashion, here.

Asher

Last edited:
Hope this meets the defenition of a grab portrait.. This lady was checking our tickets last saterday. I lifted my camera more or less asking permission to take her photo. She smiled and click ..

9069035ln9.jpg

Oly E-1 with my trusted OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8 @ f4 One more smile when I showed her the shot on the (small) LCD ..

Asher Kelman

Martin,

If this is not a grab portrait, we can close the thread, LOL! She is shown wonderfully. We see a unique expression. she's saying, I'm friendly, go ahead, this is a nice flattering moment of my life, thanks for allowing me to be a beautiful attractive lady and acknowledging me. The expression is friendly but not warm. There's also a "timer" on this.

There are no shadows on her face. She has small light reflections in the eyes. Did you use flash and what post processing did you do?

Asher

Martin,

If this is not a grab portrait, we can close the thread, LOL! She is shown wonderfully. We see a unique expression. she's saying, I'm friendly, go ahead, this is a nice flattering moment of my life, thanks for allowing me to be a beautiful attractive lady and acknowledging me. The expression is friendly but not warm. There's also a "timer" on this.

There are no shadows on her face. She has small light reflections in the eyes. Did you use flash and what post processing did you do?

Asher

Thank you for the nice comments.

This young lady was giving me here most friendly smile but at the same time she was a bit embarressed to pose. Her trying to keep a straight face indeed shows around her mouth and the tension released as she laughed freely after the shot. A special moment to share.

My external flash was on the camera (Metz 48 AF-1). Processing was RAW->JPG through lightroom with as PP, increase contrast from 25 to 29 and USM (100%, 0.7 and 2) in PS Elements.

Martin

Marcel Walker

pro member
dinner?

Every time I see Lilian she inevitably tells me, "I'm gonna spend the night your house." She's only four so when she does come to visit, it's not for a sleep over. I shot this last night at dinner as she waiting for her spaghetti to be dished up. Low light, high ISO. I need to tweak it just a little more.

lilianbase_MG_0028+copy.jpg

doug anderson

Here's a grab shot of mom and daughter on a rollercoaster
rollercoaster.jpg

Ron:

I love this shot. In fact, I love this thread. I prefer this kind of portrait to any number of stiff and mannered studio shots.

I'm going to New York tomorrow and am hoping to bring back something to contribute here.

Cheers,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi Oly,

This fellow captures my attention and interviews me. These attributes already makes your work "art" irrespective of your own intent or opinions! So good job! BTW, did you use any flash? for sure you didn't use Nikon flash as the EXIF says you didn't! Did you use a light box at about 10 feet?

In any case try the Highlight/Shadow filter to open up the boys right side. We are trying to reveal "character" so we need to see as much as possible of his face so we can sense subtle nuance.

I'd also suggest allowing more space whenever possible on a child's face, unless it's for an advertisement or some graphic designer's request. We all have a milieux. It might just be an open sky, but it will help us! Having said that, the picture works as is. I try an look at photographs from the point of view of the photographer's intent as well as the observers experience and what you want them to feel and think, if anything!

Asher

oli murugavel

Thanks a lot sir. I didnt use any flash or light! I just made use of the light from the window! Thats it sir! The rectangle thing which you see in his eyes are the windows! They just become more bright because of my adjustments! And sure i will lighten up the shadows on the right side! And i will post the location where i shot this boy..!

oli murugavel

This was the location i took the shot of the boy you see above!

for_net.jpg

You see the pillow on the left side thats where the boy was sitting! look at the pillow on the background of the boy.

Asher Kelman

Oli,

You can call me Asher! Never "Mr'"!! Mr. is the title British surgeons use. I'm not a surgeon. I don't bother with titles or academic qualifications. Here we are informal but one thing we do is nurture and not say crap is wonderful!

Asher