• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hasselblad CFV 100C digital back

So I have 2 Hasselblad 500's with film backs, that I rarely use.

I have always wanted to get a digital back, but ones that had the same or more pixels than my Current Canon cameras were in the $12k to $15k range or even more.

Just found out about the Hasselblad CFV 100C back, in conjunction with the 907X "camera" (hard to call it a camera when it really is just a lens/back mount with a release button). More importantly I found out the CFV 50c or 100c will fit my 500's
The price while still high, is incredibly low for a 100MP Hasselblad back.

And I am having competing desires, because I really want to get a second Canon R5 or R5c so I can do stereography with my R5 set and retire (read as sell) my pair of T3i's I currently use for that type of photography.
But a Hasselblad back that fits my 500's has more than twice what my Canon's have, and thus I can use my current Hasselblad/Zeiss lenses I already have that have been collecting dust is very very tempting. Can only do one or the other at this time.

But mostly this post was to let folks know if they were not aware of that camera/back coming out in mid-March.

Jerome Marot

The sensor is 4.5x6, so not the square ratio you are used to, but you probably know that.
If you just want to use your lens, there is an adapter for the H cameras and H3D or H4D cameras with a CCD back can be had for comparatively little money. They are less than 100 Mpixels, of course.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tim and Jérôme,

An alternative route is to go Fuji GFX. Remember that Fuji MF lenses are impeccable!

I have the GFX 50s since it came out and the 100 S and am very satisfied. The format is 0.81 approx of 6x6 MF apparently.

Nicolas Claris uses that and the 100s II professionally in his work with major Chateaux and marketing of major multimillion dollar yachts and architecture often with 1-6 models in the images.

It’s not only AF but has up to 6 stops of image stabilization and takes Hasselblad lenses with an adapter!

Asher

Jerome Marot

An alternative route is to go Fuji GFX.

Indeed, but Tim wanted to use the old lenses in Hasselblad C mount.

Amusingly, because the "H" line of Hasselblad cameras was a common development between Hasselblad and Fuji, there is an adapter from Fuji for the H mount for the GFX cameras. Then there is an adapter from Hasselblad from the H mount to the C mount and, presumably, it would work on Fuji GFX cameras.

There are, of course, mechanical adapters between these mounts, but they do not keep all the functions that the adapters from the manufacturer keep.

Asher Kelman

Indeed, but Tim wanted to use the old lenses in Hasselblad C mount.

Amusingly, because the "H" line of Hasselblad cameras was a common development between Hasselblad and Fuji, there is an adapter from Fuji for the H mount for the GFX cameras. Then there is an adapter from Hasselblad from the H mount to the C mount and, presumably, it would work on Fuji GFX cameras.

There are, of course, mechanical adapters between these mounts, but they do not keep all the functions that the adapters from the manufacturer keep.
The main novel advantage of the GFX 100s and 100s II is that they have motion shake reduction of 6 stops in the body itself.

Thus H Hasselblad lenses will have image stabilization

….. and if one sets the aperture, the Fuji GFX body will adjust the aperture based on its metering on its focal plane!

The last years Fuji GFX 100s is just $3300 at Adorama and that’s an incredible value for money.

Likely as not, no camera is going to guarantee a better picture with your supply of Hasselblad H lenses, if you are lucky enough to also have them. At this level, it’s just the photographer’s skill.

Asher

Asher Kelman

But let me return to the world of the Hasselblad. If my father in law was still shooting daily in with his Hasselblad system,

…. (looking down at his waist level finder),

getting the Hasselblad CFV 50C or 100C back would be certain, as it just fits into that ecosystem and “way of life” miraculously.

It’s a versatile proven high quality unit which morphs according to the job, but allows muscle memory to be an advantage for any day’s goals.

For $5000-$7000 used, the Hasselblad familiarity, lightness, reliability and professional recognition makes it a “winner”, especially if you love Hasselblad natural color.

As an experienced MF photographer, camera-shake is never an issue as one has had many years of training and discipline to avoid that in any situation.

Otherwise, for someone who’s technic depends on the advanced electronic features, shape and handling of Canon or Nikon 35mm functions, the Fuji GFX, any model, simply has no Hasselblad competitor!

Asher