• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hello from Johannesburg, South Africa

I used to frequent the forums over at dpreview.com but, to be honest, it just became a bit much - I am very glad I found Open Photography Forums, a place to discuss without all the flaming, warmongering and blind gear-headedness. (sorry if this seems harsh, but pop over there and see for yourself...)

My day job is as a software engineer of sorts - we have a small company that does Training, Consulting and Development in all manner of open, non-proprietary technologies. My real passion, of course, is photography, which I have been intensively practising since 2000 or so (once I could afford gear).

I have very little film experience, though I do own a few interesting film cameras. I'm too afraid I take an excellent shot with it, then I need to get a scanner! And even then, a scanned photo is never the "real thing".

A RAW file is the real thing, however, hehe.

My online gallery is at http://philosomatographer.deviantart.com/, which I update regularly.

I am a big believer in not reading photography magazines (well, the South African ones are pretty bad in anyway) but to rather persue your own style; whether other people think it's good or not.

Things that I focus on:
  • Simple Things
  • Small Things
  • The Background is often more important than the foreground
  • Form over colour (I prefer B&W, even for atypical shots like insects, etc)

I have not been here long, but I immediately respect the professionalism here, and I hope I can contribute to it.