• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hi everyone! :-)

Hi! My name is Maggie and I live in the province of Quebec, Canada. I live in a moderately small town about 350 miles from Montreal.

I've actually been lurking here for a couple of months, checking in once or twice a week and find the forums very interesting and my type of discussions. Earlier today, I read a post by Asher about why people come to this forum and a member here, George Holroyd, made a comment about how a few members were online but several lurkers and how it would be great if these lurkers actually registered.

So, here I am.

I was reluctant to join as I worried about not being up to the standards of many of the photogs here who seem to be professionals. I've actually been an admin on a website that had a section for photography for 5 years until I decided I needed to spend my time doing photography instead of setting up contests and challenges for other people to enter.

I've been doing photography now for 9 years and love it as much today as I did the first time I picked up a camera as a tool to create art. I do sell my photos through a small art gallery in my town, but only 1-2 a month and certainly not enough to be considered a professional.

I love what I read here in the comments, both great critique and mostly focused on the art and the intent and not so much on the gear. It's a little scary for me to have people critique my work, as I may be a little thin-skinned and my friends always say that I need to be more like a good french bread, thin yet crusty on the outside and to keep all the soft mushy stuff inside. I do think though that hearing others comments can only help me see if what I'm trying to portray through my work actually is what others see.

I don't have a particular subject that I photograph, but I think mostly urban vignettes and still life would be where most of my work lies but I'll photograph anything that captures me at any moment depending on my mood.

I believe that what we photograph and how we do it shows a lot about who we are, perhaps more than what is in the image itself. It speaks of how we see the world, what we love and hate, what turns us on, how we view the world and our place in it. Photography has helped me learn a lot about myself not only by musing over why I take pictures of whatever I take pictures of, but also how I relate to the work of others.

Seeing some of the work here, makes me feel small against photo giants. I have no studio, I only have a few lenses (3 to be exact) but I do have passion and I hope to share that with all of you here.

As you can see, I do rattle on, and if you are looking for people to comment on your images, I will be happy to do so.

I guess I should post my website here in case some of you want to see what my photos and I hope that I can become a part of this community and learn and share with you all.
http://www.maggieterlecki.com

If you have any questions about me or my photos, please don't hesitate

:)
Maggie

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi! My name is Maggie and I live in the province of Quebec, Canada. I live in a moderately small town about 350 miles from Montreal.

Hi Maggie,

I love Quebec, even though I was di'ssed in a fancy clothes store trying to buy a tie. Pointing to them, I said to the saleslady, "Je vous en pris, madame, je voudrais en acheter une cravate." She came back dismissively with "Je suis désolais monsieur, mais, on parle que Français ici!"

I guess I have to get the hang of the local dialect! My bad, LOL!

I've actually been lurking here for a couple of months, checking in once or twice a week and find the forums very interesting and my type of discussions. Earlier today, I read a post by Asher about why people come to this forum and a member here, George Holroyd, made a comment about how a few members were online but several lurkers and how it would be great if these lurkers actually registered.

Well, good thing for George then! He should do more of same!

So, here I am.

You are so welcome! I've visited your website and your work is of a very high standard. The leaves in autumn clinging to the ground around the park bench and the boy looking out the window and more just captivated me.

I believe that what we photograph and how we do it shows a lot about who we are, perhaps more than what is in the image itself. It speaks of how we see the world, what we love and hate, what turns us on, how we view the world and our place in it. Photography has helped me learn a lot about myself not only by musing over why I take pictures of whatever I take pictures of, but also how I relate to the work of others.

Well said Maggie. And also I think photography can hold a lantern to the world and to ourselves to see what we would pass by and not love enough or not be ashamed of to ignore.

Enjoy this new home!

Asher

George Holroyd

So, here I am.

Glad you decided to join in, welcome!

Hi Maggie,

I love Quebec, even though I was di'ssed in a fancy clothes store trying to buy a tie. Pointing to them, I said to the saleslady, "Je vous en pris, madame, je voudrais en acheter une cravate." She came back dismissively with "Je suis désolais monsieur, mais, on parle que Français ici!"

I guess I have to get the hang of the local dialect! My bad, LOL! Asher

I'm embarrassed to say this does happen sometimes in this province. There is a rift between the French people of Quebec and the English of the other provinces. To me, it's quite ridiculous. I speak French, but English is my first language and I also speak some crippled Swedish and a smidge of German and would love to be able to understand more and think it would just benefit me. I do understand the dilemma of the French here worried about losing their language, but being unwelcoming to people that are not the same is just really sad. Such backwards thinking. :p

You are so welcome! I've visited your website and your work is of a very high standard. The leaves in autumn clinging to the ground around the park bench and the boy looking out the window and more just captivated me.
Wow, thank you for you kindness. Those are some of my favorite photos. The little boy is what I call the Day Dreamer. You would not believe how many people have seen that photo and have not seen the little boy. All photogs do seem to though. :)

Well said Maggie. And also I think photography can hold a lantern to the world and to ourselves to see what we would pass by and not love enough or not be ashamed of to ignore.

Enjoy this new home!

Thank you Asher for your very heartwarming welcome. I will leave my shoes outside, as barefeet suits me better, but promise not to put them on the coffee table! :)