• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

installing PSCS3 after beta......

Diane Fields

There is a lot of hooha about just what to do to install PSCS3 after using the beta. I just got my CS3 today---and had heard there was an uninstall script for Win version to uninstall the beta. Now--I'm not sure what to do. There has been a LOT written about this and the problems uninstalling, etc.

I have the script (and also the information about what to do before the script came out--which I'm not entirely comfortable doing---so MANY things to deal with in registry--and I'd rather not). I just read a post saying that the first choice would still be to use the control panel/uninstall. I have already deactivated my beta version (when I went to the control panel, this was the first instruction--though I did NOT uninstall at that time). I will admit I haven't unpacked the dled script yet so what I read is just hearsay. I dled it on my laptop so have to copy it to my main computer where my beta is residing via network tonight. The instructions on the Adobe site do say to backup your harddrive---so I'll do that first. I've never really been queasy about uninstalling anything LOL--but Adobe sure makes you consider, reconsider---and then reconsider again LOL.

So--has anyone done this? I'm PC, Win XP, with PSCS2, PSCS3 beta and LR vs. 1.0 all on my HD.

Diane

Paul Burwell

Diane,

For me, it was just a matter of uninstalling the beta through the Control Panel and then proceeding with the CS3 install as per usual.

I hadn't uninstalled the beta when I first went to install CS3 and it told me that I need to uninstall the already installed CS3. I did so and have had no problems.

Good luck.

Diane Fields

Diane,

For me, it was just a matter of uninstalling the beta through the Control Panel and then proceeding with the CS3 install as per usual.

I hadn't uninstalled the beta when I first went to install CS3 and it told me that I need to uninstall the already installed CS3. I did so and have had no problems.

Good luck.

Thanks Paul. I'm running a backup on my HD and will go ahead and uninstall from the control panel tomorrow and just install. Since I will be backed up---then if I do run into problems, I'll be okay. I'm suspecting that Adobe is covering themselves with the warnings.

Diane

John_Nevill

Adobe have released a clean up script for pc and mac users, that will help resolve installation problems experienced by beta and pre-release users of Adobe Creative Suite software. I've not run it yet, but the link might be useful.

KrisCarnmarker

I never installed CS3 Beta and cannot install the released version. Because this is a fairly new laptop, I never even installed CS2. Still, I get the same errors CS3 Beta users are reporting. I think something else is going on; it is not just the previous existence of the beta version that is causing this problem.

Diane Fields

I never installed CS3 Beta and cannot install the released version. Because this is a fairly new laptop, I never even installed CS2. Still, I get the same errors CS3 Beta users are reporting. I think something else is going on; it is not just the previous existence of the beta version that is causing this problem.

Kris, does your laptop have Vista as OS? You might want to go to the Adobe script page on support and read about anything to do with Vista.

I had no install problems--this was after uninstalling PSCS3 beta from the control panel/remove and that after deactivating them (following Adobe's recommendation). I installed with no problems--but had some problems in the full version that I had in the beta--I could not open Bridge from the app, the dropdown menu in the marquee tool would not 'hold' in order to select which mode.

I uninstalled PSCS3 from the control/remove. I then went to MS to dl the MS install untility (I already had dled the Adobe script). I then ran the script at level 1 (they recommend the lowest level), installed PSCS3 again--restarted---and all is working normally.

The strangest thing, though, was as the script ran I saw my C1 icon disappear and found that C1 exe was gone from my Phase ONe program folder. I reinstalled it (it would have been a problem if I hadn't kept all the keys from way back LOL) and all is working well at this point.

I'd go to the Adobe support page and see what you can find---possibly running the script will work--I didn't read much about Vista problems (I have XP) but did notice it.

Diane

John_Nevill

Total nightmare this one!

I goes to the Adobe UK site pays the £169 and the site and ends up purchasing the Mac version. The PC version ugrade is listed in german? Anyhow, I couldn't get in touch with adobe as they are closed, tried US support and gave up after 20mins of muzac!

So decided to buy it again, (will hopefully get a refund monday). Downloaded the PC version, followed the uninstall to the letter, deactivated the beta and ran the uninstaller. Then tried the upddate and it crashed, with a loading error, redownloaded another 400+mb, thought it might be corrupt and it did it again. Went over to the adobe forum, got the script, ran it and still no joy.

Uninstalled every trace of abobe cs2 and cs3beta, used a registry cleaner, deleted every possible cs2 and cs3beta file, ran the installer, still no luck.

So I created a new admin account, ran the installer and still not working.

Did a search on the net and found that there's a few others having the same problem on win xp sp 2

3 hours later, £350 lighter and now no photoshop on my system, I really can't find the root cause.

I'm tempted to remove LR, but will wait and see if Adobe acknowledge the problem and issue a fix before I go any further.

If anyone can shed any light on this mess, let me know!

KrisCarnmarker

Diane, the laptop is running good ol' XP Pro SP2, no vista. I did search the forums, and Adobe is not responding to any of the posts about this problem. For CS3 Beta users, they make it clear you may have to run the CS3Clean script. Even though I never installed the beta I still ran the cleaner, but still no luck. Like John, I manually cleaned the registry of any remains of the first failed CS3 install attempt (after removing from add/remove progs) AND ran a registry cleaner, but still no luck.

I also have the exact same problem trying to install Dreamweaver CS3.

In both cases, there are no error details, nor an install log or anything.

John_Nevill

Kris,

Could you do me a favour and look in your event viewer under applications and tell me if you see
Product: Adobe Setup -- Configuration completed successfully under the entry MsiInstaller

After much deliberation, I've narrowed my upgrade problem down to the fact that the installer thinks its already installed. Which is absolutely absurd as i've cleaned the machine off and started afresh.

Thanks in advance.

KrisCarnmarker

John, I do have several of those entries, along with a bunch of other Adobe XXX Setup entries.

The series of events is always like this:

-"Product: Adobe Setup -- Installation operation completed successfully."
-"Product: Adobe Anchor Service CS3 -- Installation operation failed."
-a bunch of successes
-"The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( Bonjour Service ) cannot be found..."
-a couple of successes
-"Product: Adobe Anchor Service CS3 -- Installation operation failed." (again!)
-a bunch of successes
-two Bonjour complaints again
-a couple of more successes.

Now, I read somewhere that the Bonjour LSP may stop installation (if e.g. it is blocked at the FW). I think I may finally run LSPFix and get rid of that pesky Bonjour LSP, see it it helps. I hate it anyway :)

John_Nevill

It looks like we are not alone on this one, The Adobe forum has more than few people with the same problem. Some have suggested that it could an IE7 conflict issue. I may well uninstall IE7 later (if time permits) and try again.

Diane Fields

It looks like we are not alone on this one, The Adobe forum has more than few people with the same problem. Some have suggested that it could an IE7 conflict issue. I may well uninstall IE7 later (if time permits) and try again.

I just thought maybe I should jump in here since IE7 is suspected. I have IE7 on my computer and was able to install without problems--the second time. I had the beta, read the info on the Adobe site--so I deactivated the beta, ran control panel/remove and installed. The installation went fine--it seemed----but I found I had the same 'bug' in CS3/final as I had in the beta--namely my dropdown menu in the marquee tool would not work, I could not open Bridge from within, only separately. There may have been more but these were what I came up against every day, though I used and liked the beta.

I went back to other forums, Adobe forums--and whle I already had the clean script dled, after reading the pdf, found I did not have the MS install utility, so dled and installed it. I uninstalled PSCS3, ran the script. As I did, I saw the C1 icon change to the 'generic' icon and wondered if C1 was gone. I reinstalled PCSC3 again--and all seems well--I used it for a good long period later. Forgot to mention I ran the script at the lowest level---1. After installing I checked C1 and, sure enough, the exe was gone. I reinstalled that---and so far all seems well with everything else.

Just thought I would go through the steps I used--since I do have IE7 installed--and that as far as I can determine---everything is fine now. BTW--I did a backup (clone to another drive) the night before--just in case LOL.

Hope you are able to straighten out your problems. There was a number listed to call on another forum (US)--if I can find it. I do know that I'm unlikely to install another Adobe beta--even though I had no problems with LR beta/LR final. This has turned into a mess for a lot of people.

Diane

John_Nevill

Finally got CS3 installed tonight. I had to do a vanilla xp install, cleaned the pc off and started from scratch.

Adobe tech support were pretty useless, they had no idea what was causing the problem, but in fairness they were sympathetic.

Fortunately I keep a ghosted vanilla build on DVD which only had a base install of XP sp2.

So before performing any XP updates I ran then CS3 installer. It bombed out after the first attempt and said neither CS3 or shared components were installed. I then moved the whole CS3 deployment package to the root of C: drive, rebooted and tried again. Voila!

I then spent the rest of the evening installing all the other stuff.

I now believe the problem had something to do with either the XP security updates or IE7, as the latter probably doesn't uninstall cleanly.

I suppose the biggest benefit of reverting to vanilla build is the perfromance gain, you really don't realise how much bloatware one picks up over the course of a year.

At least I can now access my PSDs generated from CS3beta!

Diane Fields

Glad you got it straightened out---and glad I didn't have to go that route---as that's FAR from my forte' LOL. I find, now that PSCS3 is installed, that I'm (so far) having no problems---all plugins are fine, no problems with anything I've tried so far---and Bridge is doing fine. I also find it a bit faster (just feels faster---no timing done) than CS2--def. loads faster.

Diane

My 2 cent...

I had beta on my home Dell XPS since Dec 14. I mangled it rotten, since I didn't like all the asset service crap it installed.

I installed the final version today. After reading all the stuff about beta I was on a moderate alert. However, instructions from Adobe said rather clearly - try uninstall first, and if it's OK, no need to jump over one's head. So I uninstalled Bridge and PS (service didn't uninstall, since I killed it manually and cleaned from the registry). After that I launched the install - and everything went without a hiccup (well, Bridge showed AV after the very first launch, but it looked like a one-time issue).

I don't have enough experience with the final version after only one evening, but it looks promising:)

Anthony Ralph

Totally strange - but success at last!

did all the things I have read about on the 'net:-

Deactivate CS3 beta
Uninstall ALL Adobe products in the end
Ran cleanscript more than once
Uninstalled Bonjour
Removed Firefox
Allowed the setup.exe through the DEP
Copied the DVD contents onto the C:\ drive to run from there
etc. etc.

But to no avail. Installer flashed up the progress bar pane, then just disappeared

Today I decided to roll back to my backup image, so after changing the startup sequence in the BIOS to 'see' the DVD first, I started up Vista with the DVD. As I was unsure about proceeding, I quit the installation process before doing anything, starting Windows normally. Almost as a reflex action I tried the CS3 install yet again and - voila! off it went.

If this helps somebody then I would be extra happy (although tired and frustrated that Adobe doesn't seem to have dealt with this problem).

Anthony.

Dave New

I had a beastly problem a couple of months ago, due to a bad wireless driver upgrade from my laptop OEM's site (Sony) on a Windows XP SP2 system. I ultimately had to revert my system to a previous state, to get rid of the driver update, since there was no way to uninstall it properly. Unfortunately, the one thing I had installed after the wireless update was (you guessed it) the PS CS3 Beta (not even the Beta 2, in fact).

So, realizing that my PS CS3 Beta install was probably non-functional, due to the system rollback, I attempted to re-install the Beta on top of itself. Immediately, all the problems started. I couldn't re-install, nor sucessfully uninstall, because the rollback had removed the entries from the Add/Remove panel, and the Beta install script wasn't smart enough to force a re-installation over a partial install. I tried the Beta 2, and it failed, as well.

Ultimately, I had to get help from one of the Adobe folks I found had posted some private information to someone else on one of the Beta feedback forums that had had a similar problem (inability to re-install over a failed partial install). By following his advice, I was ultimately able to clean enough of the old Beta install off of my hard drive and registry, to allow the Beta and Beta 2 installations to proceed.

I have yet to purchase/download my CS3 upgrade, but I was under the impression that one item that was fixed in the CS3 installer was to be able to install over a current Beta/Beta 2 installation without problems. I see now that some folks are still having problems, so I'll keep that in mind. If I run into problems, and need to fall back on the information provided to me, I'll report on it's efficacy. I'm not sure I can release the information publically, as it was given to me in confidence of my ability to hack machines (I have 30+ years' experience in embedded systems programming).

One other data point: I have never allowed IE7 to install on my machines, since there have been a lot of reports with interoperabiity problems with it. I figure to wait a few months longer, to allow 3rd party software providers to catch up, before installing it. Same goes for Vista, in my opinion. There have been way too many compatibiliy problems reported currently to make it a viable option at the moment.

Will_Perlis

I know one definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over expecting a different result but computers often respond to that. I ran the uninstall for CS3-Beta twice and then installed CS3 with no problems on two different XP-Pro systems.

On two XP systems it went pretty much smoothly, totally fine on one and with a minor hiccup or two on the other.
On Vista (newest dell laptop, 2 months old) it got really stuck in "semi-backed partially frozen" mode. Had to go through the registry and kick it REALLY hard (my otherwise very computer-literate HS senior was watching me in awe). Couple of reboots, too. However, after that it went OK.

Michal Jesensky

Hi there.
I also have problems installing any CS3 program not just PhotoShop. Everytime I try to install it I get Component Install Failed. I have not been in CS3 beta program. Only beta I had was Lightroom. I tried everything I could find about this, registry clean, CS3 clean, disabling antivirus, firewall. Only option I didn't try is reinstalling WinXp or Format of disk, which I simply won't do!!! It would take several days for me to install and configure everything again. I did install it with no problem on the Lenovo laptop with no problem in the office but at home under the Xp it just won't work. Does anyone have any success with this? Thanks.

KrisCarnmarker

Michal, welcome to the club :(

I have tried everything I've found, but nothing seems to help. Likewise, it's not just PS but Dreamweaver as well. Same exact error, same component (Adobe Anchor Service).

However, it did succeed on my home PC which has been running for over two years without a reformat, but on my brand new Lenovo Laptop (T60p) it will not install. I simply cannot reformat now, as I basically just finished getting everything just the way I want it.

Jörgen Nyberg

I get a feeling here, that almost all that are having trouble are on Laptops?
Laptops seem more "finicky" for some reason, both with OS and programs.
If all are laptops, than maybe there are some hardware issues?

Jörgen

I have just upgraded to CS3 (for my PC running XP SP2). The Beta ran out before the upgrade arrived so I wasn't able to disable it. I understand that doesn't really matter. I tried to install it, tried removing CS3 items from the registry and I still can't get an install. So I'm up to the script. What stops me in my tracks is the warning:
“Before running the CS3Clean Script, it is critical that you back up your hard drive including all data, content, software programs, etc. Failure to do so, and failure to follow the instructions below, could result in a loss of the contents of your hard drive.”​
I'm wondering at the moment whether I should first purchase Norton Ghost or Dantz Retrospect to create an image of my Hard Drive - or maybe they're just really saying "Anything that plays with the Registry carries a risk but if you follow the instructions there should be no problems".

Murray

Last edited:

Will_Perlis

"there should be no problems"

It's that "should" that's the kicker. How much difficulty would you be in if you had to start over from a naked computer and a bunch of CDs?

Yes, although I haven't heard of any problems from people who ran the script, that's what I'm thinking.

Regards,
Murray

Michal Jesensky

I think there shouldn't be any problem with CS clean script. It is just a classic "At your own risk" message cause you never know how your system will react.

Well, still no progress here. I read that the problem may have something to do with Flash player, and that maybe uninstalling it and cleaning registry once again could help. Well, it didn't. I'm really tired of trying, cause it really makes me angry installing it every time for more than half an hour and then uninstalling it for another half an hour even though that almost nothing has been installed.
Does anyone know if Adobe is actually doing something about this, like some patch or they just don't care and make the "possible cause" theories?

Last edited:

John_Nevill

Michal,

Some people have found that the following installation process works:

Copy the "Adobe CS3" folder from the installation CD to your harddrive.
From the harddrive copy, open the folder "resources\common\scripts".
Right-click on the file "ContainerProxy.js", click "Open With…", and select Notepad.
With the file open in Notepad, click Edit (from the top menu), then "Go To...".
In the "Line Number" box, type 1102, and press Enter. This will take you to line #1102.
Locate the "SetSessionInitialized" variable as follows.
Look on the screen for the line "jsonObj = _jsonToObject(window.external.SetSessionInitialized(initValue));".
Delete "window.external." ->, "jsonObj = _jsonToObject(SetSessionInitialized(initValue));".
Save the file.
Go back to the harddrive parent folder "Adobe CS3" and run the Setup.exe.

They believe the problem lies in the window.external.SetSessionInitialized script variable.
It might be worth a try.