• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

I've just come back from Glencoe

janet Smith

pro member
Just to give you a taste of where I've been the last 10 days....

IMG_0086ss002.jpg

5D 50mm 1.4 tripod mounted 1/25 @f14 - This is of Loch Leven, taken by the house we stayed in at Ballachulish.

merge1cleanSS001.jpg

This is of the start of the "Pass of Glencoe" it's a merge of 3 hand held shots 5D 50mm 1.4 all at f4 1/250, merged in photoshop, needs a little more work

I've come back with 100's of shots, we were lucky to have snow and I walked across a frozen Rannoch Moor, to get to a frozen loch which looked amazing it was -12C. May post some more shots later....

janet Smith

pro member
A couple more....

Hi Marian

Thanks, so glad you like the pano. Yes we had a great time, the house we booked was beautiful and it's setting was lovely too, we went for a walk round this Lochan every morning, it felt much colder than it looks, I made the mistake of standing on the ice which wasn't as thick as I thought, resulting in one wet and frozen foot!

IMG_0078ss001.jpg

IMG_0097ssa001.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
You kept your promise!

Janet you have added a place to my must visit list. Will you be selling these? Do you have others on line yet?

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
Janet you have added a place to my must visit list. Will you be selling these? Do you have others on line yet?Asher

Hi Asher & Kathy

Thank you both for your kind comments. Asher, the Glencoe area is beautiful but it gets busy in the tourist season hence we tend to go in winter, for me I love winter in Glencoe, the ski runs were open at the "White Corries" and nearby "Aonoch Moor" beside Ben Nevis. Autumn is arguably the most beautiful though and we may be going again this Autumn. The house was lovely, anyone who's interested let me know and I'll pass on details of the house, very well equipped, beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean.

Yes, these and loads more will be on sale, the house owner has already expressed interest in taking some for his new website, there are a few more on my website but they never look as nice on there due to file size restrictions.

I'll post some more as I work through them, I followed everyones advice re panos, we were very lucky to get one perfect day down Glen Etive, and on Rannoch Moor when it was incredibly cold, but bright sunshine...... so I put on 4 layers of thermals, got the tripod out and spent several hours shooting for panos, I've come back with about 700 shots that I'm still wading through, these are just the first few. When I get round to the serious panos, I'll post some more, the light was very difficult though, low very bright winter sun and mountains casting shadows, we'll see.....

PS Asher I did get you a shot of Castle Tioram, but it was a rainy grey day! I'll post it for you when I get to it....

janet Smith

pro member
Arisaig Beach, near Morar

IMG_0115ss001.jpg

Just to show you the diversity of the area, this beach is about 30 - 35 miles from Glencoe, there are beautiful white beaches known as "The Singing Sands" we were the only people on the beach, very cold day..... There are views to the Islands of Rhum & Eigg, beautiful, think I'm going to have to go again soon!

Asher Kelman

Janet,

This last picture is so rich in possible new versions although as is it's splendid.

Imagine the top half which makes the subject the junction between the land and the sea. Consider the lower half choosing the tonalities and textures of the fine sand and dry yellow-green grass.

Further, there's internally whole subjects as for example the pattern of ? birds feet and a cone of sand. This is such a rich place for photography.

Not that this needs any change, but I see so much!

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
Imagine the top half which makes the subject the junction between the land and the sea. Consider the lower half choosing the tonalities and textures of the fine sand and dry yellow-green grass........This is such a rich place for photography. Not that this needs any change, but I see so much!Asher

Hi Asher

Once again thank you for your kind comments, this is one of my favourite beaches in Scotland, the Island views are simply beautiful. We're on the same wavelength re your suggestions, I did in fact take a sequence of shots here, some of the grasses and sandunes bringing out their textures by using wide apertures, some of the wooden fence which was acting as a barrier etc etc. I posted this one because it shows the area for you to see, glad you enjoyed it, I may post some more later, but I don't want to bore everyone!

Asher Kelman

Jan,

Certainly I'm game for traveling with you by your pictures. I'm enjoying this immensely in between working out how to use my new 8x10 camera.

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
Certainly I'm game for traveling with you by your pictures. I'm enjoying this immensely in between working out how to use my new 8x10 camera

Hi Asher

Glad you're enjoying the trip, and your new camera, here are a couple more of the same beach. My husband doesn't like either of these, he doesn't like the use of wide aperture, creating the blurred background, it was intentional, what do you think, does it work? Both 5D 50mm f1.4 1/1000

IMG_0122ss.jpg

IMG_0123SSA.jpg

Marian Howell

i love admiring well captured landscape images from all over the world jan so i've enjoyed yours as posted here!
the wide angle closeup is a very difficult beast to master, but worth the effort. the blurred bg is borderline ok in #1 but for my taste is still a bit crisp. in #2 it's more like motion blur as opposed to bg blur and is unsettling to my eye.
i'd like #1 better if the light were less harsh, say sunrise/sunset or even overcast, but i like #2 as in image more. the composition with the path in the sand is enticing, and leads the eye to that notch in the mntns...
the wa lens is difficult to get subtle dof with but keep on exploring!

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Marian

Thank you for your coments, I definately will keep on exploring we're planning to go again in October, the light should be less harsh then too.

I have various versions of these 2 shots ranging from these at f1.4 through to f16, but these were more interesting to me, just because they're a bit different to the others.

I'm going to take some garden shots today, it I can find anything to photograph, have a lovely day....