• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Kumbh, initial impressions

Prateek Dubey

r212064-fullsize.jpg

Prateek Dubey : Multitude 1

An impression from the Kumbh fair. This fair is held after a period of twelve years at four places in India. The dates are determined astrologically. It doesn't mean that it is being held at four different places simultaneously, but at each of these holy places after twelve years. It is believed that if one has a bath in the river Ganga at this time, one's bad Karmas get washed away. The real Mc Coy happens on the 12th Feb, when Naga Babas come to take a dip. This time its at Haridwar. I went there with a lot of expectations but found the crowd, normal for Haridwar. Shall keep posting pictures as the event unfolds.

Ps: The word Kumbh means a vessel. According to Hindu mythology, when the cosmic ocean was churned to extract nectar, the nectar was stored in a vessel ( kumbh). Then there was ( as usual) a fight between Gods and demons. In the process of scurrying the vessel away, the nectar got spilt at four places. Still haven't figured the metaphor but these places have ended up on the banks of the river Ganga at Allahabad, Haridwar, Nasik and Ujjain. None of these places are really remarkable otherwise....

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
For the moment Prateek, just one word, "Biblical"!

This is a scene Hollywood would spend a small fortune to film!

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
Shall keep posting pictures as the event unfolds.

Hello Prateek

Just a quick reaction from me too, this is a wonderful image of a spectacular event with warm colours and wonderful light, as Asher says "Biblical" I always enjoy your shots, however I think this one is exceptional, I'm really looking forward to seeing more in this series.....

Prateek Dubey

For the moment Prateek, just one word, "Biblical"!

This is a scene Hollywood would spend a small fortune to film!

Asher

Thank you Asher. It does promise to be a great spectacle. The Kumbh is famous for the largest congregation of humans at a place. Over 50million are expected this time. Apparently such a planetary composition will not happen in the next 3000 years. What amazes me is that people with very little on them travel large distances just to have a bath. They've left their homes, their lands, their families and with not more than 10/ 15 dollars on them. I saw many without any footwear. It was humbling and perplexing at the same time. What am I willing to do like this ??? Here's an example..

r210334-fullsize.jpg

Prateek Dubey : Pilgrim's progress

Prateek Dubey

Hello Prateek

Just a quick reaction from me too, this is a wonderful image of a spectacular event with warm colours and wonderful light, as Asher says "Biblical" I always enjoy your shots, however I think this one is exceptional, I'm really looking forward to seeing more in this series.....

Thank you Janet..

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Prateek,

How far is this from your home and when did you get there? How on earth do you find a place to stay? Where does all the sewage go from 50 million people? do they need to come every day and then can they go home or do they need to stay until the main festivities in a week or so? What happens to the folk that run out of money or get sick. This would be expected to demand massive infrastructure preparation just to provide the basic essentials of life.

Give us an idea of the role of the Federal/Central Government, religious parties, local government and politicians or do they just stand aside and let the bedlam self-organize?

Asher

Prateek Dubey

Prateek,

How far is this from your home and when did you get there? How on earth do you find a place to stay? Where does all the sewage go from 50 million people? do they need to come every day and then can they go home or do they need to stay until the main festivities in a week or so? What happens to the folk that run out of money or get sick. This would be expected to demand massive infrastructure preparation just to provide the basic essentials of life.

Give us an idea of the role of the Federal/Central Government, religious parties, local government and politicians or do they just stand aside and let the bedlam self-organize?

Asher

Hello Asher,
It is a massive organisational excercise. This place is 220km north of Delhi, the holy city of Haridwar,fourty km away from Rishikesh, a town made famous by the Beatles. I was going through the claims of the government for arrangements, the whole sewer system has been upgraded. Power and communications have been improved. The biggest challenge is crowd management and security and the always looming threat of terrorism. Fifty million won't land on one day, The fair began on the 13th of Jan and will continue till April 28th. There are some 'super' auspicious dates when the holy men descend. It usually gets crowded on these days. These dates being, 12th Feb, 13th March ,14th and the 28th April. Believe me there is a crowd of photographers too. Its hard to keep one out of the frame!
Most simply pitch tent if that's what you can say, with barely a sack for belongings, under a tree or a shrub. Many find a place to stay in a vast number of charitable homes called 'ashrams'. These places are all over in Haridwar, infact many more than I had estimated. There are also three star or less small hotels for people like us. Not flash but decent and airconditioned. Its an important tourist destination after all. Much like Varanasi( I haven't been there although I was born there).
A bigger spectacle would be the Kumbh at Allahabad. That place has a confluence of two great rivers of India. It is much more open with everything going on at the sandy beaches of Ganga and Yamuna.Its due in 2012.
People travel in all manner. Buses, tractor trolleys,trains, cars, horses and some on elephants too. Haridwar is a normal small town. Well connected by a highway from Delhi. I'm going there on the 11th, driving. Hopefully I'll get a permission to take pictures this time.