• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Leica 35-70 f/2.8 sample image and crops

Eric Hiss

Hi All,
I posted this the other day on a different forum and thought it might be interesting to people here too.

Just for fun I thought I would post an image and some 100% crops that I took today with the 35-70 f/2.8 Elmarit. This image was taken on the DMR at ISO 200 f/6.8 hand held at 1/180 (so it could have potentially been better with mirror lockup and tripod) The file was processed in Flexcolor 4.7 using some level of capture sharpening. To me the amount of fine detail is simply amazing from edge to edge especially for a hand held shot.

Take a look - whole image here (resized to something manageable - wish I could share the full res version - its unbelievable):

L1092509-Elmarit.jpg

crop 1 - center of image about 1/3 way up 100%

Elmaritcrop1.jpg

crop 2 - bottom right side

Elmaritcrop2.jpg

crop 3 - left side mid way up

Elmaritcrop3.jpg

I am wondering how many pixels are needed in order to catch everything this lens is pulling in?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Eric,

It's not just the pixels or the quality of thepixels. Here one is also seeing the magic of the lens I bet. To look at this further one would need to repeat this shot with a lesser lens like, perhaps the still excellent Cosina-Voigtlander. Altogether, this is the magic that Leica uniquely briungs to my eye with landscapes.

Now add to that the sharpness and detail it's fantastic.

But wait, there's more, the lens gives, for some reason a 3D effectand cat f6.8 this is not just plain out of focus background, but a progressive, rich gradient of detail as we go deaper.

This is what hooked me on Ron Teilebaum's New York Central Park Autumn shots which I posted, and are still availaable for anyone to process and repost.

These shots are the reason why I'm in love with the DMR, (a digital back for Leica's Leica R 8 and R9 reflex cameras) and the Leica M8 and treasure every post here. These are not just photographs; done right, they are poetry too!

Thanks for sharing Eric,

Asher

Eric Hiss

Yes the DMR is really quite an amazing camera. It's not without its quirks or perfect in every way (for example I would kill to have better flash metering) but it does very very well.

Asher thanks for not pointing out my file is overexposed - I didn't think it would matter since the sky was all fog anyway and even with the 11.5 stops DR that the DMR has there wasn't enough to get everything on both sides of the exposure and as I mentioned it was handheld so a HDR was not possible. It's hard to see because of the overexposure and the crops I chose but the background is a sharp as the foreground, perhaps more so actually. This lens is sharpest at f/5.6 then becomes diffraction limited. I guess that is one advantage of MF and LF gear...diffraction limits start at a higher f-stop.

Each lens has a signature, and leica has a family trait, but the 35-70 elmarit has its own character.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Eric,

The sky? A lesser photographer would have added sky and ruined the picture. This image is that balanced already!

Asher