• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lens Cover Solution for Godox MF12 Setup

Embeeous

I am using the Godox MF12 Macro Flash 2-Light Kit with a Sony A7IV and Sony FE 90mm macro lens.

With this setup, the MF12's Mounting Ring prevents me from using the standard "pinch style" Sony lens cap that came with the 90mm lens. I found an after market 82mm lens cap that fits, but doesn't hold as securely as the original.

The other issue that I'm running into is that I use UV filters on all of my lenses. The one time I decided to go without one, I wound up scratching a lens. I use them strictly to protect the lens' glass, and I'm really not keen on taking them off again. However, on more than one occasion, when using screw in adapters like the MF12's, as well as ND and polarizing filters, I wound up inadvertently overtightening the connection. Today I am looking at a Godox 62mm adapter ring for the MF12, attached to the Chiaro 62mm UV filter that I had attached to my 90mm macro lens. The two are jammed together and I cannot get them apart. I've got $60 worth of filter wrenches, replacement UV filters and the Godox Adapter Ring Kit (just to get another 62mm), all because I didn't realize that I have overtightened the Godox Adapter Ring with the lens' UV filter.

So I'm in a bit of a bind. I would LOVE to dispense with the UV filter on just this 90mm macro lens, but in order to do that, I would need a solid reliable lens cover that would somehow sit in front of the MF12's Mounting Ring. It could be as simple as some sort of neoprene or spongey thing to stick in the hold without touching or damaging the lens glass, or a screw in lens cap at that 82-83mm dimension, could be more or less because the Mounting Ring has threads, or maybe a magnetic cap that just covers the whole opening but can easily be taken on or off but stays in place. I cannot imagine that I am the only person dealing with this issue. I would much rather have a solution that allows me to get away from a UV filter on this one lens, versus continuing to screw the Godox adapter ring into the UV filter every time I want to go with this setup, and risk having things jam up like this again.

Not for nothing but, why on earth does Godox not offer some sort of general cap or cover for this solution? How is the end user expected to protect the lens glass when I can't use the standard lens cap that came with it, nor is there anything after market that really works here? I'm at a loss, I love the MF12 but hate this one glaring issue.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, suggestions, solutions, etc.

Embeeous

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3999.jpeg
    IMG_3999.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4001.jpeg
    IMG_4001.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3998.jpeg