• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lewisia - Cliffmaids in polarized UV

Dr Klaus Schmitt

So today about Lewisia - Cliffmaids in reflected and polarized light.

Look at its petals and especially its anters!

Lewisia%2BUV%2BPOL%2B200415%2Brev%2Bopt.gif

Works beautifully now! A.K.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Klaus,

An interesting finding. Your GIF appears as a broken link when I open the thread and doesn’t load.

However if I press the “Edit” button, (which is always my privilege as an Administrator), your amazing video comes to life, as the UV polarization angle changes and the petals and stamens pulsate in brightness!

@ everyone else: Do you see the GIF when the thread is loaded or does the link appear broken too?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Replaced it with a small version, this seems to work. Have posted here before with similar large ones ("Saxifraga") and this did work then ...hmmm

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Replaced it with a small version, this seems to work. Have posted here before with similar large ones ("Saxifraga") and this did work then ...hmmm

direct upload also does not work "too large to process" as it is 6.05MB large, even reducing down to 3MB does not work...

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So, Klaus,

Do we have any idea how the insects perceive the angular changes. Are they able to change the polarization angle with a membrane or a current through a cell layer, or do they perceive the angle of light as different brightness of a unique part of the energy spectrum of wavelengths as a kind of “chromaticity”?

Dr Klaus Schmitt

So, Klaus,

Do we have any idea how the insects perceive the angular changes. Are they able to change the polarization angle with a membrane or a current through a cell layer, or do they perceive the angle of light as different brightness of a unique part of the energy spectrum of wavelengths as a kind of “chromaticity”?

No idea, haven't foud nothing so far how they perceive that. Guess we may never now that...