• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

looking for a wide angle in the range of 18 to 20 mm

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Asher,

Stitching is not a goal,

That's so funny! I couldn't drink my tea! Truth is sometimes when one has just a 50 mm lens on the camera and one sees something breathtaking, stitching does indeed become an obsession! But, yes, you add clarity that stitching gives resolution otherwise unobtainable!

AFAIK the chip only provides focus confirmation, and a name for the lens in the EXIF
So can this be added back in Microsoft Expression or other software? Or is it that the fields for the EXIF don't even appear?

Anyway, programs like APGiga or PTGUI have places for adding focal length.

Besides the name in the EXIF, it serves no purpose when used with a tethered setup.

and, of course, one can have a laminated card in one's pocket when not tethered to use hyperfocal distance!

Thanks so much. I have been waiting for a reply from Mark on the adapter in the meanwhile wondered what I'd lose. What adapter do you use. Is it accepted that the one from 16:9 is the one to get?

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Nic

The Contax mount 18 is apparently pretty good, though not as good as the 21.

Voigtlander also do an ef mount, manual focus 20 f3.5. See Robert white website but you will have local suppliers.

Mike

Asher Kelman

Nic

The Contax mount 18 is apparently pretty good, though not as good as the 21.

Voigtlander also do an ef mount, manual focus 20 f3.5. See Robert white website but you will have local suppliers.

Mike

Mike,

The great advantage of the Zeiss 18mm is that it's so light and already has an Eos mount. I guess I could go for the Canon 14mm and with the 18mm Zeiss and the 24mm TSE II I have it all covered.

Still, for interiors, the zoom is certainly tempting. How do the Voigtlander and Sigma 20 mm comapre with Canon's offerings?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Asher

I haven't had the opportunity to compare the Zeiss (21) VOigt 20 and Canon 20s, but the canon has a bit of amixed reputation. it's probably better than given credit fro, but not in the Zeiss league!

Here's a link to a comparison of the Zeiss 21 and the Voigt 20

Mike

Thanks for that great link. The Zeiss is of course extra special an d f 2.5. The great advantage of the Voigt f 3.5 is the small size and low weight! Mike Kobal, the photographer, is a wonderful fellow too and his video's are addictive!

Asher

Asher Kelman

We should take note of the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm 1:4G ED VR lens reviewed in dpreview today.

What's great is that it's a wonderful 16-35 mm AF lens walkaround lens which with the 16:9 G adapter can be used on Canon.

However, it's prone to flare it seems and also it is one of the worse at barrel distortion wide open at 16mm and therefore a disappointment for interior architectural work. It's almost as if Nikon crippled it so that the 14-24 G lens would reign supreme! Still, closed down to f8-11, performance improves at 16mm so it's still a choice for some.

Asher