• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Low Light Portrait

Rachel Foster

My intent here was to show this woman's "essence," the characteristics that define her personality. I will hold off on stating what those were for now since I'd like to know what others see in this image. This is not a typical portraiture pose. Also, this was a very low-light situation; I was experimenting with lighting. My question is "Does it work?"

ISO 100, f/1.8, 1/160.

smallricky9916.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rachel,

Your work is improving. Why not the whole necklace. Of course we can imagine it, but it pulls us away from her face, not being there. She's well imaged, but beware of over-sharpening, especially her hair.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rachel,

Your work is improving. Why not the whole necklace? Of course we can imagine it, but it pulls us away from her face, not being there. She's well imaged, but beware of over-sharpening, especially her hair.

Asher

Rachel Foster

Rachel,

Your work is improving. Why not the whole necklace? Of course we can imagine it, but it pulls us away from her face, not being there. She's well imaged, but beware of over-sharpening, especially her hair.

Asher

You are right! I didn't even notice the necklace.

Rachel Foster

The original shot did not have the entire necklace. I did this part of the shoot rapidly and moving around, looking for the best angles. I got this expression when she remembered her father. Since i didn't have the rest of the necklace, I cloned it out.

small9916bwredo.jpg

Clayton Lofgren

I would crop a smidgen more from the bottom to remove the dog's leg of bosom. Otherwise, I like it.
Has your model given her opinion?

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Her right eye

Your lighting is nice. Her expression is good. I like the cloning job you did. The pose has the bridge of her nose cutting off a smidge of her right eye which bothers me. The angle is just slightly off.

Rachel Foster

Clayton, I wondered about that as well. Kathy I would have liked the eye more completely in the image as well.

The model loves it. And, for me, it captured her joie de vivre mixed with wisdom that is who she is.

Rachel Foster

I was wondering about cloning out the uneven neckline rather than cropping. I feel her "spirit" needs some negative space so she can "breathe."