• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Magic Arms and DSLRs

Tim Armes

Hi,

Do any of you have any experience with mounting DSLRs on the manfrotto magic arm? Is it strong enough?

Are there any better alternatives?

I'm looking to attach my camera to unusual places such as the rear stays of a bicycle.

Tim

Ray West

Hi Tim,

Link here http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~productID~7150.html (more or less first google hit for me )

I have no experience of it, but for me, I would not bother. It looks as if it will be too flimsy for anything much.

If you are going to use it a lot on a particular bike, then a simple bracket from aluminium or steel (maybe even plywood would be better) for the particular task will be better, imnsho. That way, it can be made to locate rigidly to the bike, and the camera.

I have more knowledge wrt video cams. in this sort of app.

Best wishes,

Ray

Michael Fontana

pro member
Hi Tim

a heavy cam with battery compartement might move, meanwhile the magic arm might could be be strong enough with a light one, having a small lense.

If you intent to have a very precise orientation of the cam, it rather looks to be difficult.
I used one for a while, but I wouldn't mount my 1 Ds-2 on it.

So I'd mount the cam with a homemade "groundplate" with a 3/8 screw, and a tripod's head on the bike. You know welders, dont' you ;-)

On the manfrotto site its listed in the Lighting Support Systems, for holding a umbrella, etc

A Magic Arm is good for things like holding a reflector or a flag (a dark card to shade the light) or a filter in front of a studio strobe unit, or you can use it to add extra support between the tripod and a long lens or the bed of a view camera with a long extension. I suppose it could hold something like a small point & shoot to some rigid object, but I wouldn't use one by itself to support a larger camera. If you're traveling by a bicycle that has a stand, you would probably do better just to put a beanbag on the seat and support the camera that way. There are even beanbags with tripod screws.

Tim Armes

Well, I've received my Manfrotto Magic Arm.

I've very impressed by its rigidity. There's no doubt that it's more than capable of holding a DSLR, even a big one (as we see in Chase's video).

I'm less impressed by my Super Clamp. Up till now it's always been fantastic, but attached to a circular piece of metalic tubing with a heavy weight acting as a lever it has a tendency to rotate about the tube. I'm not sure how chase avoided this problem.

I'm hoping that it can be solved by using some rubber-like material between the clamp and the tubing.

Tim