• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Mine is bigger than yours!

• Thread starter Deleted member 55
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 55

What is the longest lens that a forum member shoots with?

I sold my Canon EF 400MM f5.6L. Now the longest lens I use is a EF 300MM f2.8 L IS with a 2X TC.

Please post yours!

Erie Patsellis

pro member
I have a 21 1/4" lens I use on 16x20 and 20x24, does that count? If not then it would be my 500mm Tamron SP mirror, quite good surprisingly.

D

Deleted member 55

I just remembered I have a Canon FD 500 f8 mirror lens with a FD to EOS adapter.

Rachel Foster

For some strange reason, Sigmund Freud has been on my mind. Oh, I know why! I just did a lecture on him and psychoanalysis in my history of psych class last week. That must be it.

(P.S. A touch of humor is ok, innit?)

Jim Galli

Ok, this probably doesn't count since it's at work and I don't actually own it, but I routinely shoot with a 2975mm mirror. On an 18X24mm sensor you cannot fit the entire moon in a frame, only a portion. Oh, and I can make 360 pictures every second. On film. :~'))

Jack_Flesher

I can mount a Leica spotting scope to my P&S. The combined focal lengths calc out to about a 5500mm equivalent. Of course if you had added the caveats "while maintaining good image quality" and/or "full frame" then maybe not :)

Bob Latham

What is the longest lens that a forum member shoots with?

I sold my Canon EF 400MM f5.6L. Now the longest lens I use is a EF 300MM f2.8 L IS with a 2X TC.

Please post yours!
The 300/2.8 with T/C is a surprisingly good substitute for the 600/4. I've now got both options and find the portability of the 300/T/C setup makes it excellent value for money. Of course, the 600/4 can also have a T/C and this pushes it into the distance.

Bob

D

Deleted member 55

The 300/2.8 with T/C is a surprisingly good substitute for the 600/4. I've now got both options and find the portability of the 300/T/C setup makes it excellent value for money. Of course, the 600/4 can also have a T/C and this pushes it into the distance.

Bob

Hi Bob.

With the extra TC added more IS is needed so I am waiting for the 200 F2.0 IS price to drop another 1K so I can use stacked TC's and have the extra 4 stops from the IS.

Jack_Flesher

Just for thread posterity -- in this configuration, it's about 2250mm f11 effective -- and image quality is pretty decent:

leicascopeg1setup.jpg

Last edited:

Jack_Flesher

This was a quick grab from my driveway to show relative scale and IQ for you. First image is the full-frame scene shot with the G1 and kit lens at 25mm (normal or 50mm effective) focal:

sceneat25mmg1.jpg

And here, full-frame from the same shooting position with the Televid rig shown above aimed at the ridiculous plumbing:

leicascopefull.jpg

Jack_Flesher

Thanks Jack!

Could you please post a 1 to 1 crop?

Sure, but you're gonna see all the nasty's ;-) First off there was some minor camera movement due to the relatively slow shutter speed and less stable tripod with such a long focal. Second, you can see the residual flare in this optical system. The noise is ISO noise from the G1...

leicascopecrop.jpg

Mike Shimwell

I have a Maksutoc Cassegrain telescope that I can mount to my eos bodies with a T-mount adaptor. 1800mm f12 and the moon close to fills the frame. I shot some nice moon images during the full lunar eclipse a couple of years ago - search through my flickr stuff (can't access through the work firewall). I keep meaning to lug it and the tripod out to shoot the local deer, but haven't found the combination of time and motivation yet:)

In reality, I don't shoot much long stuff at the moment. My longest everyday lens is the 100 macro or 24-105. But I occasionally use the 70-200 f4 or 70-300 DO (which I remain in confusion about really - the main advantage being portability for such a long lens.)

Jim, what do you do that uses a long mirror lens to shoot 360fps on film?

Mike

PS - to keep Rachel happy the biggest prblem is that it's folded up...