• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Norwood's dome on incident light exposure meters

Doug Kerr

For many years, almost all incident light exposure meters (or dual mode exposure meters in the incident-light mode) have had a translucent dome-like "receptor" over the light sensor proper. It is generally said that this is to make the meter respond "appropriately" to the various components of the ambient illumination that arrive from different directions. But what does that mean, and why is this advantageous in making metered exposure determinations on an incident light basis?

The story behind this is fascinating (perhaps even shocking) on several fronts. I discuss this at length in my article "Norwood’s dome: a revolution in incident-light photographic exposure metering", which is indexed on The Pumpkin here:

http://dougkerr.net/Pumpkin/index.htm#NorwoodsDome

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited: