• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Real life and real art in my mind

Dave Butcher

Real life and Real Art are photos that move us. Yes the photo of a African Lion is beautiful, as is the photo of a infant being held by its parents. But Art is not those kind of posed photos in my mind. Photos of real life are Art in my mind. If you do not agree then that is your problem.

My Name is Constant

I shot these three photos of a guy who is a Veteran and who is in a wheelchair and who goes out to the Strip and does acrobat stuff to survive. He is not sitting there complaining about life and how it has screwed him over.

MY%20NAME%20IS%20CONSTANT%200001-X2.jpg

MY%20NAME%20IS%20CONSTANT%200002-X2.jpg

MY%20NAME%20IS%20CONSTANT%200003-X2.jpg

If you do not like my work then ask me to leave but I do not appreciate being ignored because i do not follow the rules.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Dave,

This fellow is super impressive. That he can overcome diversity and body limitations to excel like this shows amazing guts, self-training and endurance. Find out what his past is. Sure he has a good story to share!

BTE, You are not ignored and you don't break rules. You just make nice pictures that I personally enjoy.

You can, of course put in nude in a window and then everyone will aggressively ignore you, give you too much attention,,warn homeland security or ask for the lady's contact info!

You are doing fine.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I'm with you all the way, Dave.
I don't know how many times I have looked at a photo like yours, including yours, and wondered. Just wondered.
A small snippet of life is an end point of a journey and the beginning of another. Its a reflection of our own existence and a map to our own place in the world. The photo may be called many things, including art, but it is what we make of it; no more, no less. That which we can relate to with our own existence will be the richest experiences. Our values are exposed and we place them before the photo, judging not the photo but ourselves.
This is the way of your photos. We need not judge the photo. The subject is not contrived, only your interpretation.
And its not just with people such as the one you have chosen to delight us with. Any individual, construction, street, place or circumstance has its beginning and end, between which we photograph.
The person who photographs as you do, Dave, knows the poetry of life and where to find it. Those who seek beauty elsewhere lack a quality Of humanity.
One can be a photographer or a person who takes photographs. You are the latter. You are a fortunate man.

Jerome Marot

If you do not like my work then ask me to leave but I do not appreciate being ignored because i do not follow the rules.

There aren't any "rules" in this game and you are not ignored. Also: the question is not necessarily whether we "like" the work, but what the work elicits as feelings in the public. If we are the public here, the lack of response is, in itself, a telling sign.

Now, you told us something very important to understand your work in the other thread. You "want to make a difference, want to show this ****ed up country that you live in and the idiots in Congress and the Senate and the White House reality".

That is a good point and maybe we can help you getting it across. I would be interested, personally. But do you want help?

Robert Watcher

Dave - if I can offer some ideas based on my experience (read: only my opinions).

* It is great that you view your photographs as art and are pleased with them. Photography is a personal expression. And really all that matters is your contentment with the results.

* Because people do not comment or reply, does not automatically mean that people are not looking at your posts or photographs.

* If I were to base my photographic worth on responses to my posts - my photographs would have little worth or value. Even an extensive thread such as ones with my Central American images, receive few replies - the current one has a couple from Asher and a few from you. Those are nice - I appreciate them - but it matters not to me. What I do value is that I have a venue - with photography forums - where I am permitted to post photos for people to see, whether they like them or not. My hope of course is that some photographers, by viewing them - are inspired to just get out and shoot or possibly find new ways to see things and improve or vary the way they photograph. Some photographers or other viewers may just like looking at a photo or photos that I post, that appeal to them. Or not.

* Because of what is said above, we can never expect everyone or maybe even anyone to like our photographs. It doesn't matter.

* It takes a lot of effort and attention to one person, to give specific beneficial aid to a request for critique or opinions. Some respected photographers will provide such a service and will always charge a substantial amount of money for the dedication of their time to do that (my fee for spending time on this very reply would be $250 based on my $550 per hour photography fee). Some forum photographers (me included at times) love to share and help out when it is convenient and if not much is asked of them. That is nice when it happens and may or may not benefit everyone wanting help.

* How does anyone know who is qualified on a forum to give help or advice on a given photograph. I have seen my fill of self-professed professionals who had strong opinions and years later I hear them talk about shooting their first paid job.

* Actually - virtually all photography follows rules of some sort if it is going to be acceptable for viewing by a majority of people. I'm not referring to knit-picking or being critical - just that certain structures work best for visual appeal and impact, in most cases.

* If there are no rules or guidelines or even a consideration to them, the photograph is more often viewed as a snapshot or record shot. Nothing wrong with that either to the person who took that photo. They just can't expect others to see it as anything other than a snapshot and those others may or may not be interested in spending valuable time viewing it.

* Mosts threads on Photography Forums that have lots of input, are simply discussion, technical, theoretical or argument threads. That seems to be when everyone loves to step up with their varying opinions or display the type of wordsmiths that they are or are just intent on being obstinate or offensive. If a photographer wants a lot of feedback, then starting such a thread is the place to start.

* Everyone has the right to post on a forum or not - to become a member or not. If someone choses to leave or not post anymore, believe me - no one is going to care for the most part. We will all be soon forgotten if that is our decision. I suppose that that is why some members after they have gotten in a huff and left, end up returning after a while - because they soon find that the only way anyone will know who they are and pay attention to them, is if they participate again. Just think about it - this forum has 10,868 members. Do you know many of those? Have you seen many of them posting? Some may even be of a very high caliber. Crazy isn't it LOL. Forums are simply a fun place - and sometimes useful place - for those who chose to make use of them. I must say that Asher has gone a huge step above this simplification, by promoting the OPF forum and some it's qualified members, with the Gallery Showing in California not too long ago. I congratulate his serious commitment and know that many of us have great respect for him for his dedication. But that is not common, except for maybe member paid forums.

-------

THIS IS PROBABLY THE REALITY

I have been active in many photography forums since 2001 and have even owned and ran a quite successful professional photography forum that I sold in 2006 - - - the things that I have pointed out above have always been the reality. The only difference being that in the early days of the web, there was less practical information for photographers in the wedding and portrait trade and pro photographers shared a lot of useful information about technique or running the business side of things - that newer pros could benefit from. Then the web became saturated with that type of information, and a simple Google Search provides all the info anyone needs. And since then, for those who only desired positive feedback about their photos - Facebook and now Instagram are available to satisfy that. But even there with hundreds or even thousands of supposedly dedicated followers - - - a photographer may only get a 'thumbs up' Smiley here and there or a brief 'Nice Pic' from a few viewers.

---------

Dave Butcher

Dave,

This fellow is super impressive. That he can overcome diversity and body limitations to excel like this shows amazing guts, self-training and endurance. Find out what his past is. Sure he has a good story to share!

BTE, You are not ignored and you don't break rules. You just make nice pictures that I personally enjoy.

You can, of course put in nude in a window and then everyone will aggressively ignore you, give you too much attention,,warn homeland security or ask for the lady's contact info!

You are doing fine.

Asher

Thank you Asher. The rules that I am talking about are the rules of composition that I read about anytime i read articles on Street Photography and Street Photojournalism. Yes Wedding Photography, Portrait Photography, Still Life Photography, Sports Photography, Landscape Photography and all of the other other Genres of Photography are forms of Art and are very important to life and things around us. I myself personally want to be and am working very hard at being one of the Masters of Street Photography and Photo Journalism. That is my goal. When I go out and chase a fire that I want to shoot I do not think about the rules of composition I think exclusively about catching that one shot, that one photo or series of photos. I am the same way when I go out shooting the streets of Las Vegas.

There is one person that I consider as my mentor and he one time made the following comment:

"Arc of Artistic Intent" according to my way of thinking:

Artist has an idea in the Cathedral of his/her mind
Artist works on the right conditions to express that idea in a physical medium
The developing physical form starts to come alive to the artist, getting air in its nostrils and then arguing with its creator for independence
The artist expectations are met
The work is now "Art" for that artist evoking much of the feelings, thoughts, emotions and possibilities the artist had imagined in the Cathedral of the mind
The art is now "Independant" of the artist and "must survive by others enjoying it too"
Someone experiences the art and become appreciative of the work, values it and recruits others.
Now this is art for all of us!
Over time, humanity might treasure this work or it might be forgotten

Asher

This is what I have hanging on my wall in my den and it is what I look at every-time I head out to shoot photos.

Dave Butcher

I'm with you all the way, Dave.
I don't know how many times I have looked at a photo like yours, including yours, and wondered. Just wondered.
A small snippet of life is an end point of a journey and the beginning of another. Its a reflection of our own existence and a map to our own place in the world. The photo may be called many things, including art, but it is what we make of it; no more, no less. That which we can relate to with our own existence will be the richest experiences. Our values are exposed and we place them before the photo, judging not the photo but ourselves.
This is the way of your photos. We need not judge the photo. The subject is not contrived, only your interpretation.
And its not just with people such as the one you have chosen to delight us with. Any individual, construction, street, place or circumstance has its beginning and end, between which we photograph.
The person who photographs as you do, Dave, knows the poetry of life and where to find it. Those who seek beauty elsewhere lack a quality Of humanity.
One can be a photographer or a person who takes photographs. You are the latter. You are a fortunate man.

Thank you Tom, one of the things that gives me the insight of life is my experience as a Firefighter, EMT, and having for many years being homeless on and off. I know the struggles of not having a roof over your head. I know what firefighters go through, and I still to this day have nightmares about a lot of things I saw as a firefighter. In my job at the complex that I work at we do Welfare Checks three or four times a month. And a few occasions we, myself and my team, have found people at the end of their journey through life. It is sad and we always do our best to make sure that they are treated with dignity. Those are the reasons that I see the beauty in the chaos around me.

Dave Butcher

There aren't any "rules" in this game and you are not ignored. Also: the question is not necessarily whether we "like" the work, but what the work elicits as feelings in the public. If we are the public here, the lack of response is, in itself, a telling sign.

Now, you told us something very important to understand your work in the other thread. You "want to make a difference, want to show this ****ed up country that you live in and the idiots in Congress and the Senate and the White House reality".

That is a good point and maybe we can help you getting it across. I would be interested, personally. But do you want help?

That is what I try and do and that is why photos like this one below are ones that I always try and shot when I see the opportunity.

I do not know her story but the words on her sign said it all to me and that is the title of the Photo:

JUST TRYING TO SURVIVE

JUST%20TRYING%20TO%20SURVIVE-XL.jpg

Yes I would like help spreading this message and Yes I would love to have help showing our elected officials the reality of life. I have been there and it is a very hard road to escape from. And through the comment of you and others I have realized what I want my photos to get across to people.

Dave Butcher

Hi, Dave,

No whining, please.

I have no idea what you are speaking of as "the rules".

Nice work.

Best regards,

Doug

Hey Doug thank you for stepping up and hitting me between the eyes. The rules that I am talking about are the ones such as "the Rule of 3rds" and all of the other rules of composition. Those are the rules that I break on a daily basics when I shot photos.

Dave Butcher

Dave - if I can offer some ideas based on my experience (read: only my opinions).

Robert I always look forward to Asher's and YOUR input on my work

* It is great that you view your photographs as art and are pleased with them. Photography is a personal expression. And really all that matters is your contentment with the results.

I look at my photos as artwork, just like I look at your photos of South America and Central America as Artwork, and the same way I look at Asher's work as Art. I look at photos and look at them as art and that you, me, Asher, Doug, Clem, Maggie, and all the others here are Artists. Plain and simple. I look up to you and all of the others here. And that is the truth.

* Because people do not comment or reply, does not automatically mean that people are not looking at your posts or photographs.

Point taken

* If I were to base my photographic worth on responses to my posts - my photographs would have little worth or value. Even an extensive thread such as ones with my Central American images, receive few replies - the current one has a couple from Asher and a few from you. Those are nice - I appreciate them - but it matters not to me. What I do value is that I have a venue - with photography forums - where I am permitted to post photos for people to see, whether they like them or not. My hope of course is that some photographers, by viewing them - are inspired to just get out and shoot or possibly find new ways to see things and improve or vary the way they photograph. Some photographers or other viewers may just like looking at a photo or photos that I post, that appeal to them. Or not.

You are very right on this. But being as I am just starting out I am still very sensitive about my works. I am learning to have thick skin and to not take others response the wrong way. I will work on that in the future. And I look at your photos and I wonder how I can make my photos as good as yours. I know that is wrong but I look to you and Asher for guidance and suggestions.

* Because of what is said above, we can never expect everyone or maybe even anyone to like our photographs. It doesn't matter.

* It takes a lot of effort and attention to one person, to give specific beneficial aid to a request for critique or opinions. Some respected photographers will provide such a service and will always charge a substantial amount of money for the dedication of their time to do that (my fee for spending time on this very reply would be $250 based on my $550 per hour photography fee). Some forum photographers (me included at times) love to share and help out when it is convenient and if not much is asked of them. That is nice when it happens and may or may not benefit everyone wanting help.

* How does anyone know who is qualified on a forum to give help or advice on a given photograph. I have seen my fill of self-professed professionals who had strong opinions and years later I hear them talk about shooting their first paid job.

I have yet to receive my first paid job. But I can relate in the way of getting my first photos featured in an article and credited to me by a local Newspaper of the photos I took of a major fire that their photographer did not get.

* Actually - virtually all photography follows rules of some sort if it is going to be acceptable for viewing by a majority of people. I'm not referring to knit-picking or being critical - just that certain structures work best for visual appeal and impact, in most cases.

I guess I do follow the rules in one way or another.

* If there are no rules or guidelines or even a consideration to them, the photograph is more often viewed as a snapshot or record shot. Nothing wrong with that either to the person who took that photo. They just can't expect others to see it as anything other than a snapshot and those others may or may not be interested in spending valuable time viewing it.

* Mosts threads on Photography Forums that have lots of input, are simply discussion, technical, theoretical or argument threads. That seems to be when everyone loves to step up with their varying opinions or display the type of wordsmiths that they are or are just intent on being obstinate or offensive. If a photographer wants a lot of feedback, then starting such a thread is the place to start.

* Everyone has the right to post on a forum or not - to become a member or not. If someone choses to leave or not post anymore, believe me - no one is going to care for the most part. We will all be soon forgotten if that is our decision. I suppose that that is why some members after they have gotten in a huff and left, end up returning after a while - because they soon find that the only way anyone will know who they are and pay attention to them, is if they participate again. Just think about it - this forum has 10,868 members. Do you know many of those? Have you seen many of them posting? Some may even be of a very high caliber. Crazy isn't it LOL. Forums are simply a fun place - and sometimes useful place - for those who chose to make use of them. I must say that Asher has gone a huge step above this simplification, by promoting the OPF forum and some it's qualified members, with the Gallery Showing in California not too long ago. I congratulate his serious commitment and know that many of us have great respect for him for his dedication. But that is not common, except for maybe member paid forums.

-------

THIS IS PROBABLY THE REALITY

I have been active in many photography forums since 2001 and have even owned and ran a quite successful professional photography forum that I sold in 2006 - - - the things that I have pointed out above have always been the reality. The only difference being that in the early days of the web, there was less practical information for photographers in the wedding and portrait trade and pro photographers shared a lot of useful information about technique or running the business side of things - that newer pros could benefit from. Then the web became saturated with that type of information, and a simple Google Search provides all the info anyone needs. And since then, for those who only desired positive feedback about their photos - Facebook and now Instagram are available to satisfy that. But even there with hundreds or even thousands of supposedly dedicated followers - - - a photographer may only get a 'thumbs up' Smiley here and there or a brief 'Nice Pic' from a few viewers.

---------

I hope that you and Asher understand where I am coming from. If I had the money I would come down to where you are at Robert and spend a few days with you to learn from you. I would do the same thing with Asher. If I could I would pay both of you to work with me but I don't have the money so your input here matters a lot to me. Just like Doug's input, and Tom's, and Maggie's, and everybody else who takes the time to comment about my work.

Dave Butcher

There is one area of Las Vegas that has shelters and a lot of services for the homeless. I drive down this area all the time. Part of it is remind myself where I was seven years ago. This photo was taken as I drove by the center that offers help for homeless and the very poor.

20151128_114803-XL.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Dave,

Hey Doug thank you for stepping up and hitting me between the eyes. The rules that I am talking about are the ones such as "the Rule of 3rds" and all of the other rules of composition. Those are the rules that I break on a daily basics when I shot photos.
Sure.

These "rules" are all concepts that can be useful as we develop our own intuitions, but we all need to move beyond them!

You have a unique outlook, and great work is flowing from it.

You are in a very unique location, and are well taking advantage of it, and its paradoxes.

Carla, by the way, attended LVHS (when it was the only high school in town) - class of 1956 (although she didn't graduate). In fact, my shot of the old LVHS building was used on the cover of the program for one of her class reunions (I may have told that story before!).

Keep on pluggin', my friend.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thank you Asher. The rules that I am talking about are the rules of composition that I read about anytime i read articles on Street Photography and Street Photojournalism. Yes Wedding Photography, Portrait Photography, Still Life Photography, Sports Photography, Landscape Photography and all of the other other Genres of Photography are forms of Art and are very important to life and things around us. I myself personally want to be and am working very hard at being one of the Masters of Street Photography and Photo Journalism. That is my goal. When I go out and chase a fire that I want to shoot I do not think about the rules of composition I think exclusively about catching that one shot, that one photo or series of photos. I am the same way when I go out shooting the streets of Las Vegas.

There is one person that I consider as my mentor and he one time made the following comment:

"Arc of Artistic Intent" according to my way of thinking:

Artist has an idea in the Cathedral of his/her mind
Artist works on the right conditions to express that idea in a physical medium
The developing physical form starts to come alive to the artist, getting air in its nostrils and then arguing with its creator for independence
The artist expectations are met
The work is now "Art" for that artist evoking much of the feelings, thoughts, emotions and possibilities the artist had imagined in the Cathedral of the mind
The art is now "Independant" of the artist and "must survive by others enjoying it too"
Someone experiences the art and become appreciative of the work, values it and recruits others.
Now this is art for all of us!
Over time, humanity might treasure this work or it might be forgotten

Asher

This is what I have hanging on my wall in my den and it is what I look at every-time I head out to shoot photos.

Dave,

I am honored! But also I'm grateful for the pictures of real life you bring us.

I would add that now I think that one can also make art which does not express a whole idea, but just enough of a form to encourage others to stop and be moved by their own ideas that populate the incomplete form that a work of art can present to us.

So the very lack of completion of a shape, pattern or maze with disorder and broken balance can constitute a playground for the mind, an imaginorium.

I add this because much art depends on the musing of the observer as the ideas engraved in the physicality of a work of art maybe purposely incomplete!

I say this to allow for works that are not completely expressed ideas, but which are attractive enough to engage us and then we enter and test and exercise our feelings and ideas.

Asher

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

I'm pretty sure that I understand where you are coming from Dave. Also I am not at all suggesting that you come to where I am or that I would even be interested in critiquing or giving instruction for any amount of money or have the ability to benefit you. I'm just a photographer like you - not an instructor. Sorry that you mistook what I wrote.

Jerome Marot

Yes I would like help spreading this message and Yes I would love to have help showing our elected officials the reality of life. I have been there and it is a very hard road to escape from. And through the comment of you and others I have realized what I want my photos to get across to people.

Then there are a few things which you should realise.

First, forget about rules of composition and other silly techniques which you may have read about in other forums. They are not really important here: you are not trying to make images which look nice, you are trying to make images which have impact. Use the camera you already have, put it on full auto and you will be fine. Get yourself a wide-angle zoom, perhaps.

Second, your pictures should tell a story. At the moment, they don't and this is the reason why you had to explain that Constant was a disabled veteran. You know that, but we don't. For us to know it, you had to tell us with words. Words are intellectual, they don't make us feel. We should be able to feel what kind of life Constant lives directly from the picture if you want to engage us emotionally. This is the reason why you got little feedback. (Side note to Doug: this is the meaning behind "If you need many words to describe what your picture means, it doesn't speak enough for itself.").

Third, realise that you can't take the photos you want without engaging your subjects. You said you "have been there", you should be able to talk to these people and get them involved in the process. I am sure that they are just as interested as you are in "showing your elected officials the reality of life". See if you can follow some of them over a few days and build a series of pictures, a reportage maybe.

Fourth: politics. The kind of pictures you want to take has a long history in photography and you will need to study what other photographers have done in the past decades (I will give you some pointers later on). But there is one think that all these photographers had in common: they were active in politics. They all belonged to a party, a movement, an association with a political message: communists, hippies, gay rights activists to give a few examples. I am not saying you should become communist, hippy or gay, but that you should find a political engagement that you fill is right for you and which can relay your message. The reason is simple: without these other people, you will not be able to publish your images in such a manner that the message will be seen. Now: I can't really help you in your choice, I don't live in the US and have little idea about local US politics, but it is a choice you'll have to do and better sooner than later.

Robert Watcher

There is one area of Las Vegas that has shelters and a lot of services for the homeless. I drive down this area all the time. Part of it is remind myself where I was seven years ago. This photo was taken as I drove by the center that offers help for homeless and the very poor.

20151128_114803-XL.jpg

Dave. I hate to be so straight forwad, but this photo that you obviously are passionate about and consider art - is an example of why it is difficult for me to look at or respond with help to your photograph.

While you have this great story that you are seeing in your photograph, what I see when looking at it are palm trees, electric poles and wires, and the back end of a white truck on the left side. I cannot identify what the building is and cannot see the people. As I have mentioned in another image previously, there is no focus (not talking about lens focus) and the eye is drawn to bright areas in the wrong place.

I actually quite agree with what Jerome Marot has stated in his reply above. He may have much better insight into what direction you want to go than I. I don't have a political agenda with my photography.

One point he makes about putting your camera on AUTO with a wide lens and shooting that way to tell a series of images --- I actually quite agree with. However this image that I have isolated, is one unfortunate results of leaving exposures up to auto.

Dave you still need to know camera, exposure and composition skills. In many cases - in my opinion - those are not coming through in your photos. It makes it difficult to find something compelling to see in the pictures, or to have suggestions that may help. I'd have to be there seeing the content and photographing the scene to offer any advice as to how to improve.

What is important is that you find enjoyment from what you are doing. If you are able to find a venue like a newspaper to publish your work - or are able to follow Jerome's advice about attaching yourself to a group with common interests, that should be very satisfying to you.

I'm sorry that I can't provide much more than that. If you see things in my photographs (or other peoples) that appeal to you and would work with your style of photography, try and figure out what makes it work by analyzing the photo and read all you can about general photography technique in the library or online (even if you'll never use it) --- and practice with your camera until you have something similar or a look that you want. That is how I am where I am today with my photography. Simply trial and error and paying attention to what I want to work on the next time I take out my camera. Shooting lots.

You have mentioned on a couple of occassions, my getting paid for my photography - as if my goals are different from what you are trying to achieve or that somehow I have some kind of advantage because of that. It means nothing more than that certain people have seen value in my photography to the point where they are will to fork out hard earned money to have me work for them. However I did not get paid for my work because someone told me how to take pictures or how to improve. I got paid because I put a lot of work into trying to make photographs that someone would see of value and pay for - right from the start - before I had the skills that I have today ---- using the steps I just descibed to you. You should be able to do the same Dave with the passion that you appear to have.

---------

FOLLOW UP : so Dave - with the intent of being fair - I asked my non-photographer wife to look at this photo of yours and tell me what she sees (without reading what I wrote). She came to identical conclusion as me. She saw a white truck. She couldn't make out the sign on the building. She just saw a bunch of dark people walking somewhere.

Now the good news :::: her suggestion on how to improve the photo was actually quite brilliant. Anne suggested "If he had stopped his car, got out of it and got in with the people in the group, engaged someone in conversation, took a picture that you could identify what the building is with the people in front."

I think her suggestions would make a massive improvement not only in the photographic quality, but also in the story you are trying to tell. Hopefully that is useful feedback for you.

------------

Dave Butcher

Hi, Dave,

Sure.

These "rules" are all concepts that can be useful as we develop our own intuitions, but we all need to move beyond them!

You have a unique outlook, and great work is flowing from it.

You are in a very unique location, and are well taking advantage of it, and its paradoxes.

Carla, by the way, attended LVHS (when it was the only high school in town) - class of 1956 (although she didn't graduate). In fact, my shot of the old LVHS building was used on the cover of the program for one of her class reunions (I may have told that story before!).

Keep on pluggin', my friend.

Best regards,

Doug

Hey Doug thank you. Please see the PM I sent you.

Dave Butcher

I'm pretty sure that I understand where you are coming from Dave. Also I am not at all suggesting that you come to where I am or that I would even be interested in critiquing or giving instruction for any amount of money or have the ability to benefit you. I'm just a photographer like you - not an instructor. Sorry that you mistook what I wrote.

Robert I am not saying that you are an instructor but what I am saying is that you are a guy that I would if I could love to learn from. My boss is from where you are at right now and I have showed him your images and he loves the way show his country. He has also said that you must be somebody special because a lot of people down there do not like their photos taken. He has told me that for people to allow this they must trust you. Gus is a simple man and he will down there next week with his wife for two weeks and he has asked me to give him a link to your photos because he really likes the photos that you have posted.

Now that said, I take this as a very high compliment. Because he does not say kind things about a lot of people. He is a hard guy to work for and when he compliments somebody it is very well deserved

Robert Watcher

Dave ---- I must compliment you on these 2 latest images. I really like the way that you have included the environment elements in each of them. The first showing the administration office of a nursing home and her holding the papers compliments that story. The second is exquisite in showing a worker putting in time in a workshop. Her knit hat and light coat are supplimented by the touch of a heater in the bottom right corner - giving us a clue about the working conditions.

What is very interesting, is that as cluttered as the background or foreground are in each ---- you have maintained a FOCUS. The human subjects are where you eyes automatically go, and then you try to figure out how they fit into the surrounding. This is something that I haven't seen in other pictures that you have posted. These are both effective 'environmental portraits'. And you as a photographer are involved.

I could be totally wrong as to the environments or what you intended for the portrait of these people ----- but it doesn't matter. I have a story with each. I don't need to know the real story behind the shots. These both could be used in magazines to support related textual articles. Very good effort.

Charlotte Thompson

2 cents of mine thrown in..

Read all the discussion...super cool guys..
I think and I come from many places of art photography as most of you have seen
I have this deep understanding and feeling that Dave is beginning his birthing process and it can be very tough. Dave you have the Passion and that will drive you forward into yourself. As developing your unique expression/genre. Just keep on going! Best advice I can give. I do see so much energy in your work and it is really very moving.

Charlotte-

Dave Butcher

Dave ---- I must compliment you on these 2 latest images. I really like the way that you have included the environment elements in each of them. The first showing the administration office of a nursing home and her holding the papers compliments that story. The second is exquisite in showing a worker putting in time in a workshop. Her knit hat and light coat are supplimented by the touch of a heater in the bottom right corner - giving us a clue about the working conditions.

What is very interesting, is that as cluttered as the background or foreground are in each ---- you have maintained a FOCUS. The human subjects are where you eyes automatically go, and then you try to figure out how they fit into the surrounding. This is something that I haven't seen in other pictures that you have posted. These are both effective 'environmental portraits'. And you as a photographer are involved.

I could be totally wrong as to the environments or what you intended for the portrait of these people ----- but it doesn't matter. I have a story with each. I don't need to know the real story behind the shots. These both could be used in magazines to support related textual articles. Very good effort.

Thank you Robert. Believe it or not these were both fast and quick photos. I shot them without thinking and like you did some cropping afterwards. Both were shot in color and converted to Black and White.

Dave Butcher

2 cents of mine thrown in..

Read all the discussion...super cool guys..
I think and I come from many places of art photography as most of you have seen
I have this deep understanding and feeling that Dave is beginning his birthing process and it can be very tough. Dave you have the Passion and that will drive you forward into yourself. As developing your unique expression/genre. Just keep on going! Best advice I can give. I do see so much energy in your work and it is really very moving.

Charlotte-

Thank you Charlotte I really appreciate that. Photos like the ones that I post are the Street photography that I like. That is what I am working on getting better at. And I do a little bit of Still Life everyonce in a while.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Dave,

TAKING A BREAK

20151229_154257-XL.jpg

Very nice. Nice subject (the human, that is).

Love the wide-jaw vise. What kind of shop is that (trying to figger out from the tanks under the bench - also not sure what the machine on the right rear of the bench is)?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Dave Butcher

Hi, Dave,

Very nice. Nice subject (the human, that is).

Love the wide-jaw vise. What kind of shop is that (trying to figger out from the tanks under the bench - also not sure what the machine on the right rear of the bench is)?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

That is the Maintenance Shop where I work at and the Machine on the bench behind the vise is our coffee maker with a portable heater sitting on it. I has been cold the past week or so so we have had two heaters going in the shop at all times. The young lady in the photo is Megan and she is our housekeeper.