• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Rome..or..Death

fahim mohammed

That's the inscription..however, the Eternal City captivated us. So much history and so little
time.

p304203493.jpg

masterpieces abound...

p440882766.jpg

setting sun over Rome always will bring back pleasant memories to us..

p520185783.jpg

One cannot visit Rome and not be transported to times gone by.

Best.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fahim,

Your photography is particularly dramatic and captures the feeling of imperial Rome merging to Imperial Religion. Yes, Rome is amazingly historic but unfortunately not doing well with the acid atmosphere from pollution. apart from the major sites, many places are really not well cared for or even excavated fully. Italy, in fact has a treasure trove of important history from many great civilizations and only the surface has been scratched.

What's the story, if any, of Romans establishing authority over areas like present day Yemen and Saudi Arabia. I believe important spices were grown in Yemen but what other resources might they have been after or was it just off the map as "inhospitable"?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Fahim,

I suspect you are having a similar dilemma as I do with my travel snaps. They are very pretty pictures to look at but not particularly exciting and/or unique. Please do not misunderstand me, I have the same issue myself. :)

Technically speaking, your images are very contrasty in general. In these three, the shadows are fully plugged. I realize based on the reactions I have received for my Half Dome Yosemite picture a few days ago that this might be what others are longing to see; i.e. contrasty and punchy images. And if you turn them into B&W, even better (LOL). I personally think that not all pictures need punch and/or extreme contrast. I'd love to see more tonality in these images.

Thanks for showing,

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

Cem amd Fahim,

I like these pictures as they are. The presentation in the choice of tonalities is fine and is after all from the eyes of the photographer. We cannot be changing everything people do or else it would be one bland uniform style we'd see here!

Each person will present pictures in a way that represents their prioroties. Here we have one very unique window which is sure different from any other I have ever seen.

I would not have chosen these pictures and that's why I am so grateful to see this particular set, since it takes me through a part of Rome that's fresh for me.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Cem, thanks for stopping by and your valuable suggestions. I agree with you. My images are very contrasty, shadows are plugged up and generally not unique.

That they are not unique, I am working ( cumbersome chore! ) to think how to give something
special to my pictures of familiar places and/or situations.

Re: contrasty pics...Cem, I am fortunate not to be making a living selling pics, so I have the
luxury of pleasing no one but myself. While many have pointed out the same faults with my pics
...I have great difficulty doing them anyother way. This comes naturally to me. I underexpose in
camera, oversaturate sometimes oversharpen,and generally my pics do not have a wide tonal range.

Please, and I say this with all humility, why should I not follow my instincts and preferences in pic capture rather than try to consciously do something that does not appeal to me?

I hope you do not misunderstand me, but I am too old yo want to change. For the better? For whom?
more importantly why?

Kindest regards.

Hi Fahim,

I suspect you are having a similar dilemma as I do with my travel snaps. They are very pretty pictures to look at but not particularly exciting and/or unique. Please do not misunderstand me, I have the same issue myself. :)

Technically speaking, your images are very contrasty in general. In these three, the shadows are fully plugged. I realize based on the reactions I have received for my Half Dome Yosemite picture a few days ago that this might be what others are longing to see; i.e. contrasty and punchy images. And if you turn them into B&W, even better (LOL). I personally think that not all pictures need punch and/or extreme contrast. I'd love to see more tonality in these images.

Thanks for showing,

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

...I realize based on the reactions I have received for my Half Dome Yosemite picture a few days ago that this might be what others are longing to see; i.e. contrasty and punchy images. And if you turn them into B&W, even better (LOL). I personally think that not all pictures need punch and/or extreme contrast. I'd love to see more tonality in these images...

...I like these pictures as they are. The presentation in the choice of tonalities is fine and is after all from the eyes of the photographer. We cannot be changing everything people do or else it would be one bland uniform style we'd see here!

This is exacty what I've said above, IMO. I am under the impression that there is a certain level of peer pressure which steers us towards posting punchy images. Now Fahim might have chosen for the punchy style for entirely his own reasons, nothing wrong with that. And he should not change a bit on anybody's behalf.

Regards,

fahim mohammed

Hi Asher,

Appreciate you stopping by. To the best of my knowledge, there have never been centurians on these lands. Guess riding camels was frowned upon then ( as it is now ? ).

Continuing with your thoughts here is one I took for 'cause it brought a wry smile to my face.

p392198274.jpg

Best Wishes.

Fahim,

Your photography is particularly dramatic and captures the feeling of imperial Rome merging to Imperial Religion. Yes, Rome is amazingly historic but unfortunately not doing well with the acid atmosphere from pollution. apart from the major sites, many places are really not well cared for or even excavated fully. Italy, in fact has a treasure trove of important history from many great civilizations and only the surface has been scratched.

What's the story, if any, of Romans establishing authority over areas like present day Yemen and Saudi Arabia. I believe important spices were grown in Yemen but what other resources might they have been after or was it just off the map as "inhospitable"?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

...Please, and I say this with all humility, why should I not follow my instincts and preferences in pic capture rather than try to consciously do something that does not appeal to me?

I hope you do not misunderstand me, but I am too old yo want to change. For the better? For whom?
more importantly why?
Dear Fahim,

This is what happens when I stick my neck out in order to help. I should know better by now and stay away from giving a reaction. I wasn't trying to change you, not at all. I was just telling that, in case you were making your images contrasty because you think that it will please us, then maybe you shouldn't be doing that. Since you've made yourself clear now that it is your style, I have nothing but utter respect.

My issue is that I feel a certain level of ambiguity in reactions provided here and in other threads. That was the reason why I have gone into this discussion. I will now humbly apologize and stay away from any further comments.

fahim mohammed

Cem, you do not need to apologize for anything. Difference of opinions, rendered sincerely and with civility, are the spice and engine of progress and understanding ( for mature individuals ).

Please feel free to say what you think is wrong with my pics..and more importantly, how you think
you might approach it.

I shall be grateful for such advice.

Take care.

Dear Fahim,

This is what happens when I stick my neck out in order to help. I should know better by now and stay away from giving a reaction. I wasn't trying to change you, not at all. I was just telling that, in case you were making your images contrasty because you think that it will please us, then maybe you shouldn't be doing that. Since you've made yourself clear now that it is your style, I have nothing but utter respect.

My issue is that I feel a certain level of ambiguity in reactions provided here and in other threads. That was the reason why I have gone into this discussion. I will now humbly apologize and stay away from any further comments.

Asher Kelman

Cem, my very goof friend, don't take it as you should refrain from comments. On the contrary! We can benefit from the vision perspective and coloring Fahim has since his training and upbringing is from a fresh perspective. By all means point out what seems awkward or strange to you. If you just let it go by, other viewers will think we are blind and have no judgement at all. No one will learn anything! So please don't hold back. Just becasue we say the sunset seems to orange, does nor mean it was not orange or the photographer likes it better that way. Still not to point out some anomoly, a departure from expectations is not a good thing for anyone.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

Appreciate you stopping by. To the best of my knowledge, there have never been centurians on these lands. Guess riding camels was frowned upon then ( as it is now ? ).

Continuing with your thoughts here is one I took for 'cause it brought a wry smile to my face.

p392198274.jpg

That wry smile on your face, Fahim, made me look at the inscription and the sword. It took a while for me to translate praedicatori veritatis doctori gentium as "Preacher of the truth and teacher to the gentiles." So why the sword?

This seems to me to be following the pattern of a 1000 year old classical latin description given to the apostle, Paul, as "doctori gentium" "teacher to or of the gentiles" I found in King Æthelred confirms Æthelflæd's bequest to St Paul's minster of four hides (mansae) at Laver, Essex, and two at Cockhampstead, Hertfordshire. [c. A.D. 1000] here.

"Paedictatori veritatis" were, as far as I can work out, from the order of the Dominican Friars who were established to provide an authoritive teaching of Christianity as there was perceived to be a shortage of that! Again I see the sword and I cannot but help thinking that when I grew up in England, we all had to sing, "Onward Christian Soldiers, Marching on to war" So where and when did this sword originate? Is this anything to do with the notion of crusaders fighting for Jesus or just a coincidance? after all, the sword might be to fight the devil for all I know.

In any case, I would never have given this inscription any attention except for your wry smile. For sure, I'd have not even taken a photograph of the impressive statue. Now I'm intrigued! Who is that man?

Asher

Last edited:

fahim mohammed

Hello Asher, it took me much much longer to translate the inscription. Asher, you are a goldmine of
information.

As for me, I don't think one fights the devil with a sword, his disciples maybe...the devil nah!
proof..else we would have got rid of him a long long time ago!

Take care sir, and the dollars will take care of themselves.

That wry smile on your face, Fahim, made me look at the inscription and the sword. It took a while for me to translate praedicatori veritatis doctori gentium as "Preacher of the truth and teacher to the gentiles." So why the sword?

This seems to me to be following the pattern of a 1000 year old classical latin description given to the apostle, Paul, as "doctori gentium" "teacher to or of the gentiles" I found in King Æthelred confirms Æthelflæd's bequest to St Paul's minster of four hides (mansae) at Laver, Essex, and two at Cockhampstead, Hertfordshire. [c. A.D. 1000] here.

"Paedictatori veritatis" were, as far as I can work out, from the order of the Dominican Friars who were established to provide an authoritive teaching of Christianity as there was perceived to be a shortage of that! Again I see the sword and I cannot but help thinking that when I grew up in England, we all had to sing, "Onward Christian Soldiers, Marching on to war" So where and when did this sword originate? Is this anything to do with the notion of crusaders fighting for Jesus or just a coincidance? after all, the sword might be to fight the devil for all I know.

In any case, I would never have given this inscription any attention except for your wry smile. For sure, I'd have not even taken a photograph of the impressive statue. Now I'm intrigued! Who is that man?

Asher

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Shimwell

Fahim, let me add my sense of irony to your wry smile - very much appreciated.

Of the earlier pictures I prefer the statues with fall, finding the quality of the colour lovely.

This is what happens when I stick my neck out in order to help. I should know better by now and stay away from giving a reaction.

I happen to disagree. Sincere reactions can only help others, which is a good thing. For some the reactions can help to view things from a different perspective, different but neither better nor worse.

I wasn't trying to change you, not at all. I was just telling that, in case you were making your images contrasty because you think that it will please us, then maybe you shouldn't be doing that. Since you've made yourself clear now that it is your style, I have nothing but utter respect.

Exactly. Until Fahim stated that his choice was intentional, let's call it an acquired taste he is comfortable with, we didn't know that. For all we knew he was unaware that there was potentially a different way the images could have been presented, or that he lacked the skills to achieve it. We now know better, due to sticking out one's neck. We have all leaned as a result.

Whether one shares the same preferences as others, is something else. However, I think it is valuable to learn that there are different possibilities to present one's image, perhaps even 'better' or more effective in the eyes of the author. Who knows, we learn something new, or get reconfirmed in our original preferences, all the time. The journey continues ...

Bart