• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ships

Steven Sinski

2 pics from Aomori, JP in Nov 2023
1- what was once the gateway to Hokkaido before the Seikan tunnel was built. now a museum.
2- a cruise ship docked at the port. (just a nice clean early morning shot)

_DSC5683_DxO copy-X3.jpg

_DSC6030_DxO copy-X3.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Steven,

What great shots!

445FFD89-F947-4A41-976E-FCACC17483C7.jpeg

I really enjoy you taking us to such interesting places. This ferry ship is massive and impressive. I found a great explanation here.

Have you done the self tour?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well this boat is so grand and fabulous, Steven!

1A4ADC74-9AA9-4A95-A962-B8A2576C1711.jpeg

Where does it take people and on what length voyages?

I am fascinated by that top deck and first thought that was cantilevered with diagonal supports which perhaps had giant pistons to counteract the rolling action of the water.

It turns out that stabilizing systems tend to be massive turbulence generating underwater pumps and advanced control electronics!

Do you happen to have any idea how such tall boats are stabilized?

Asher

Steven Sinski

I am fascinated by that top deck and first thought that was cantilevered with diagonal supports which perhaps had giant pistons to counteract the rolling action of the water.

It turns out that stabilizing systems tend to be massive turbulence generating underwater pumps and advanced control electronics!

Asher
the hull shape and depth large gyros inside and they have stabilizers (wings) that come out of the hull to to take the roll out of rough seas
ref: https://www.cruisehive.com/cruise-ship-stabilizer/92526#How Do They Work?

that particular had just come from Hokkaido and was working its way south.

Last edited:

Steven Sinski

Asher
the hull shape and depth large gyros inside and they have stabilizers that come out of the hull to try to take the roll out of rough seas
ref: https://www.cruisehive.com/cruise-ship-stabilizer/92526#How Do They Work?

Steven Sinski

Asher

Steven Sinski

Asher

just a well engineered "flying deck" design. no moving parts up there other than the passengers and slot machines in strategic locations. these are literally floating cities . not my thing to do though.

Steven Sinski

Asher

Steven Sinski

Asher
x

Asher Kelman

2 pics from Aomori, JP in Nov 2023
1- what was once the gateway to Hokkaido before the Seikan tunnel was built. now a museum.
2- a cruise ship docked at the port. (just a nice clean early morning shot)

View attachment 11368

View attachment 11369
Steven,

Do you know what cruise line this is and the name of the ship?

BYE, will remove the duplicates above once o get answers from the software company for these nuisance errors!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Steve,

I am impressed that it is stabilized by one set of fins. I am fascinated that works!

That’s an amazing vessel! Is it one class? Or do different folk get better odds at dining at the captain’s table or have higher stakes gambling?

Asher

Steven Sinski

that all depends on the dimensions of the ship. it can be both front and rear sets.

lots of computers and sensors.

most are multi class.

the rest i can't answer. not that type of gambler.

Asher Kelman

That ship cannot compete with the wonderfully cute and witty girl. kudos for an iconic image, Will!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Steven.

Thanks for all those great pix.

Re this one:

_dsc5758_dxo-copy-x3-jpg.11396

I love those turnbuckle tiedowns on this locomotive to those outboard rails seemingly for those.

Best regards,

Doug

Steven Sinski

Thanks Doug for visiting and recognizing the mechanical details of the locomotive tie downs!

all rolling stock get that treatment.

Last edited: