• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

So long...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A Message For all of Us: Resources and even friends are not enough!

Alain,

We'll just keep the place open and the soup warm!

Meanwhile, there's us and how we function. What I value is that you are looking at the factors which allow us to go beyond talent and tools, imagination and brilliant ideas to actually seeing success again and again.

Asher

The fact is that knowing how to stay motivated is an important aspect of being successful in any endeavor, and particularly in endeavors where our personality and creativity are at stake. We have to learn how not to get demoralized because our results are not what we expect them to be. We also need to learning how to cope with criticism. One has to develop an armor plated ego to stay in this for the long term! Otherwise, it is tempting to quit at the first sign that not everyone is supportive or because criticism is harsher than we would like.

Alain, that's a great start! It's your next paragraphs that are even more important.

In the long run, our limitations are not only artistic, technical, or financial. In other words, we are not limited only by our resources. We are also limited by our ability to cope with adversity and disapointment. These can surface for different reasons. They may be caused by our actions, or they may be caused by the actions of someone else. However, in the end having to face adverticity forces us to ask how hard we are wiling to work on this and whether or not we have reached our limits. For some, the answer is "whatever it takes". For others the answer is "I'm done." Yet for others the answer is "Let's wait and see."

Regardless of individual decisions, the outcome is usually depression. Dealing with depression is unfortunately something that most artists have to do. Some are more prone to it than others, but most, if not all, are prone to it to some extent. There are remedies to depression. In an earlier post I mention the importance of being grateful. Gratitude works. Another proven remedy is action. Depression causes inaction. By replacing inaction by action, you remove one of the main pillars that support depression. Do so regularly, and it will cave in.

By replacing inaction by action, you remove one of the main pillars that support depression. Do so regularly, and it will cave in.

I'd just add that although depression can come from life's blows, it can also consume us from occult depths of our being that we cannot fathom. Conversation and hugs help, but as in marketing or promotion, investing in expert help is the most efficient way of getting to where one wishes.

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
Alain,

We'll just keep the place open and the soup warm!

Meanwhile, there's us and how we function. What I value is that you are looking at the factors which allow us to go beyond talent and tools, imagination and brilliant ideas to actually seeing success again and again.

Asher

I started writing on this about a year ago but have published only a few of my reflections on the subject. I have a chapter devoted to it in my third book (Marketing Fine Art). It dawned on me that there are really three parts to doing this: artistic, technical and personal (in no particular order). Unfortunately the personal aspect is the one least talked about, if it is talked about at all.

I have an essay on criticism --titled Understanding Criticism-- that I will publish this coming spring (see you next year!) that addresses one of the most important aspects of doing art: how to deal with criticism. We all have to face it, but only some of us know how to deal with it rationally. Most deal with it emotionally, in reactionary fashion. This is both ineffective and frustrating. It is far better to deal with it rationally, in a composed manner. However this takes learning and practice. It is far from being intuitive!

The natural reaction is frustration, then discouragement, then rebuilding (if it happens). In other words, it's an emotional roller coaster. However, you don't have to step onboard. There's a better and more effective way, and that is to get to know criticism on a personal basis. Get close to it, following the concept that you want to be close to your friends but even closer to your enemies! Criticism is the enemy, even though it can be constructive, and even though you do not want to reject all criticism a priori.

Cem_Usakligil

Dear All,

First of all, here is a heartfelt thank you to all of you for your honest and concerned reactions. Needless to say, I have read and re-read all of them. I have been trying to gather my thoughts before I have replied to any one of you either publicly or privately. It is not an easy task to do since I have started this discussion using a tone of finality as Alain has aptly pointed out. I haven't managed to come to one conclusion or the other yet; although I am making progress. However, Asher's recent statements have caused me to react now before people get the wrong impressions. As it happens, Asher makes some pretty strong statements about what I may be doing or thinking. Some of which are very near to truth and some others quite the opposite. Therefore, I would not like the others to take these as the definitive truth by the absence of my own reactions. I would also like to point out that although I have PMed with Asher about his dancers thread (just helping out as he asked me to give my input on his work), I did not conduct private correspondence with him or anyone else in private about this thread's topic in case anybody feels being left out of the loop. Obviously, I am following very closely what's going on in OPF, but any one of you can verify this by looking at my user profile and see when last I have been online.

So here's a promise; I will write back to all of you explaining my thinking later today. Hopefully, I will have gathered enough courage and wisdom to do so by then. Thanks again so much for being there for me in these difficult times. I cannot express my gratitude using words so I will stop for now....

Rachel Foster

Cem, you don't have to explain anything to anyone. Just keep in touch; stop by now and then and say hello to your friends. And do what is best for you. Again, no explanations needed.

Asher Kelman

Cem, you don't have to explain anything to anyone. Just keep in touch; stop by now and then and say hello to your friends. And do what is best for you. Again, no explanations needed.

Seconded! I just hope that what we have said or done well outweighs where we might have misjudged you. One thing for sure, the place is always open and we are going to do much more in 2011. So when ever or if ever you want to pop in, be assured of a welcome, no questions asked. This whole discussion will be transferred to my secret cupboard!

Asher

Rachel Foster

Yes, I would like to see this swept away, but Asher, Cem needs the option to respond if he wants to before it disappears. I just hope he knows we are in his corner, whatever. Just like we're in yours.

Cem_Usakligil

...So when ever or if ever you want to pop in, be assured of a welcome, no questions asked. This whole discussion will be transferred to my secret cupboard!
Dear Asher,

This is a very tempting offer and I know that you do this with the best intentions in mind to protect me (from myself). So thanks a lot for the kind gesture. However, I feel that it would be a gross injustice to all those who have stuck their necks out for me and I would rather see my reputation go down the drain than pay any disrespect to my friends. Besides, there may are some valuable lessons to be learned for anyone who stumbles upon this thread.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

Dear Asher,

This is a very tempting offer and I know that you do this with the best intentions in mind to protect me (from myself). So thanks a lot for the kind gesture. However, I feel that it would be a gross injustice to all those who have stuck their necks out for me and I would rather see my reputation go down the drain than pay any disrespect to my friends. Besides, there may are some valuable lessons to be learned for anyone who stumbles upon this thread.

Cheers,

Not a worry, Cem,

All the valuable comments will be transfused into to a new thread or perhaps, into Rachel's new thread here! We wont lose a singe valuable idea. That's one of the bad autocratic rights one has to live with here.

In any case, we take into account all the interests. Nothing is happening right now! We have to have New Year first, LOL!

Then, after toasting, testing and tasting wine again
After swaying with the voices of Old Langs Syne
After the streamers, balloons and kisses fine
After hugging yours and mine,
We'll trust your friendship and eyes to see us again,
For you and I and Old Lang's Syne

Now the real words and the song sung well here or beyond our language, here.

Happy New Year!

Asher

Rachel Foster

Cem, my friend, saying how much we care about you and respect you is not sticking out our necks. I think none of us would feel disrespected. We all want what's best for you, you know?

I wouldn't say I've put my camera down, but it hasn't been as exciting a year, photographically speaking, as years prior, perhaps. I am committed though - no quitting this time! I did that once and decided to quit quitting =)

However, looking back, it really was quite a good year, I don't really know what the problem is... and actually I've posted here more in the past month or so than I've posted in probably the year prior, so this is an uptick for me!

Maybe you could hold me responsible for getting a post done tomorrow (looking at the time, today I mean) ... I'm still not sure I really intend to do it...

Glad to see your face Cem. Talking is a good start.

Alain Briot

pro member
Cem,

Success comes to those who try. It's a process in which every step count. Sometimes we run, sometimes we leap. And sometimes we put one foot in front of the other, slowly, painfully maybe, but one step following the next, as in walking in a blizzard, not sure where we are going, but determined to move forward.

In time, the fog clears, the storm ends, and we find ourselves further than we expected. Our steps, no matter how few, how slow and how difficult, moved us ahead. Most importantly, these steps, taken one at a time, pushed us past the obstacle we were confronted with.

Alain Briot

pro member
A
I'd just add that although depression can come from life's blows, it can also consume us from occult depths of our being that we cannot fathom. Conversation and hugs help, but as in marketing or promotion, investing in expert help is the most efficient way of getting to where one wishes.
Asher

That's true. Although we might like to think we can, picking ouselves from our bootstraps is rarely effective. We can't fix a tire with a wooden plug anymore than we can probe the depth of our psyche by reading the comic's page in the newspaper. While it may seem to work at first, in the long run it proves to be ineffective. A courageous attempt, but not a lasting solution.

The expert has a purpose and there is a reason why they stay in business. They not only offer a lasting solution, if they are worth the money they ask, they offer the proper solution. The solution that, when dealing with an emergency, we are the least likely to find. Again, we most of the time react in an emotional manner and look for an immediate solution. The expert instead looks at the situation rationally and offers long term solutions.

Doing this can be learned. But so can building a car or a house. Because it can be done doesn't mean we have the time or the will to do so. In times of crisis, our concern shouldn't be learning how to do things by ourselves. Our concern should be getting out of the mess we find ourselves in. That is, provided we want to get out of this mess. Another option is to quit: abandon the car because we have a flat tire or stay depressed because we don't feel like getting out of it. Here too, reaction is personal in nature. Some may seek to get out of it on their own. Others may seek professional help. Yet others may decide to leave things as they are.

The purpose of the expert is not to make a decision for the individual, or motivate the individual to seek help. The purpose of the expert is to provide help when requested.

Cem_Usakligil

Dear All,

I have finally been able to gather my thoughts (and also enough courage) to try to explain what my motives have been and what I have learned from your kind responses and how I intend to put them to good use.

Firstly, let's take a look at my original post, which was obviously a very emotional statement of a personal disappointment and the consequences I have drawn from it. I felt that my photography was a failure (in my opinion). Why is that? I think the main reason is that I haven't thought enough about my own expectations (let alone whether or not they would have been realistic). Just to put things into their proper context; I have a full-time day job in the IT and I have never been a professional photographer nor have I really wanted to eventually become one. So please understand that I am not disappointed due a lack of success in that area, far from it. Rather, we are simply looking at a bad case of expectations management, which is caused by not having clear cut expectations or goals. The correct sequence (like in any other business) would be: establish goals, define the associated success criteria, create a plan to achieve those goals, execute the plan and measure the resulting success. In my case, the first two steps have not been done properly.

In the past 39 years, I have been taking photographs good or bad (obviously more bad than good) but I have been continuously learning and improving. In that sense, I have been really persevering. Especially during the past 4 years, I have started to focus much more on my photography than I have ever done before. This was a period of personal renaissance, a time of much experimenting, learning, sharing and joy. Earlier this year, there came a moment that I have realized that I have achieved perhaps 90% of the technical and artistic competence I could ever achieve in this field. Achieving the remaining 10% will be a very steep curve and it will take many more years to get there if at all. While I have been concentrating on getting my technical and artistic expression right, I have not spent much time thinking about my personal goals. What did I want to achieve after all? Was I doing this for the fame, money, appreciation, self enjoyment, providing pleasure to others, what else? I simply did not know the answer to this. But I felt disappointed nevertheless. Apparently, deep down inside I was hoping that something would "magically" happen and all of a sudden my years of effort would be rewarded (as it happens in silly Hollywood films). But what and how exactly? And therein lies rub.

I have started posting less and less of my work here in OPF. I've lost my inspiration. Take landscapes for example, my main area of interest in photography. I have been out there with my camera gear many times this year and came back home without taking a picture. Because I thought that all that I could take pictures of have been pictured before (by me or by others) and what value would it add? C&C provided by experts such as Ken (not specifically his C&C to my own pictures but his posts in general) have constantly reminded me of the fact that the world is full of wannabe photographers with their affordable DSLR cameras and their popular flickr accounts. Did I really belong in that crowd? Did I not deserve to be better than that given my long trials and tribulations in photography? But then again, how does one become better? Better than what? What are the success criteria? And as you see, we are back where we've started. This was thus the reason that I have gotten so frustrated that I thought maybe I should leave all that behind me. I have started this thread not thinking that you'd make me change my mind; my mind was pretty much made up. Perhaps unconsciously I was hoping that I would get some pointers in order to break the negative cycle. Which, thanks to you, seems to be happening right now. Putting this train of thoughts on paper is already helping me realize what the pitfalls have been and how I may avoid them next time.

I would now like to put the focus back on what you have all written. Many of the comments have common recurring elements in them. Perhaps it is a good idea to categorize them first, rather than trying to reply to each individual comment.

First of all, the most common aspect is the friendship and support. For which I am truly grateful to all of you. I have forgotten how much we have shared with each other during our OPF journey and how much we have meant for each other during good times but also bad periods. Sometimes, I have been on the receiving and sometimes giving. And it this general culture of OPF which nurtures selfless reciprocation of friendship, support and encouragement is what makes OPF so special for all of us.

Secondly, there is the aspect of my photography being worth something. Again, I really appreciate you reconfirming this for me, although deep down in my heart I did not really doubt it myself either. As I have explained above, it wasn't the case that I thought I was taking bad pictures. I realize truly that we eventually have a few keepers out of hundreds/thousands; not every picture is destined to be a winner. Yes indeed, recently I have lost inspiration and stopped taking pictures but I did not doubt much about the technical proficiency of my pictures. The problem was, again, the undefined expectation: what were the pictures supposed to deliver? When I could not answer that, I started to assume that my photography was worthless (i.e. did not deliver any results). As Ken has put it so well, my photography wasn't the failure but the path that I'd walked which had failed me.

Next, there is the grouped topic of creative cycles, emotions, rationality, crisis and depression. Well, let me tell you first that I am not suffering from any psychological or physiological illnesses such as depression, emotional instability, bipolarity or the like. Upon re-reading my initial post and by the absence of any further explanations from me as to why, I can imagine that a reader can get the impression that these might be the possible reasons/background to my post. I admit to being extremely frustrated (i.e. emotional) regarding this topic matter, but please do not assume that this also applies to other areas in my personal life; it does not. And if it would, I would have definitely sought support from professionals, the importance of which aptly pointed out by Alain and Asher. As it happens, the OPF regulars here are the "professionals" in the area of my problem so I am kind of looking for answers in the right circles rather than try to rediscover the wheel all by myself. Regarding the cyclic nature of an artists creative existence and the creative depressions associated with it, I understand the phenomenon and admit that I must have certainly been suffering from it.

And finally, let's address all that great advices I have been given as to how to cope with this situation and how to move on forward. The common elements are the need for (re)defining goals and directions, creating projects, joining a workshop or training, persevering, patting myself on the back, being less harsh with self-criticism, studying and practicing regularly, being active and taking charge, learning to deal with C&C in a rational manner, seeking answers from within, listening to trusted friends, etc. Needless to say, this is all excellent advice and all of it needs to be put into good use in various degrees and at various stages. But first, I need to do a triage and decide upon the immediate actions to be taken. Writing this letter was the first of those and I should say that it has really helped me shed some (perhaps most) of the negative feelings already. Now that I seem to realize where I might have taken a wrong turn along the road, I need to start working on finding my way back again. In order to assist the healing process, what would be a better bandage on the wound than to spend some more quality time on OPF again? I have realized that I need to rediscover the pure joy of friendship, sharing of knowledge and sharing of photography; which I have always enjoyed here in OPF from the very beginning. Which means that I will have to leave my comfort zone and re-earn my "stripes", starting from bottom up all over again. So expect me to become active once more in the fora. In parallel, I will be working on the following. I will think thoroughly about my personal goals and the success criteria. I will start taking pictures again. I will setup some photography projects and execute them. I will reorganize my picture database and share some forgotten pictures here with you. And I will finally update the missing galleries on my web site. And the next time I feel down again, I will first re-read all of this thread. That is also why it is important that it should remain accessible to the public.

So sorry in case you have been patient enough to read all of this, it seems that I cannot be brief enough in such matters. I hope that I could make some sense out of it after all.

Finally, my sincere gratitude goes out to all of you, also to those OPF members who chose to not participate in this thread. OPF has been my extended family for so long. I am very happy and privileged that I have known/met you along the journey.

Hereby, I would like to wish all of you a terrific new year. May it bring health, love, happiness, fortune and wisdom to all of us.

Cheers,

StuartRae

Hi Cem,

A Christmas cracker motto: Failure isn't falling down, it's not getting up again.

Well, my friend, you're just about upright again.

New year, new roll of film, clean CF card. Who knows what may happen?

My best wishes to you,

Stuart

John Angulat

pro member
Very, very well said Cem.
I'm looking forward to "seeing" you around again.
Oh, and as for starting again here at the bottom - you are one of the pillars of OPF.
You've a hard earned a place at the top and have never lost that honor.
Have a very Happy New Year!

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Mark,
Cem,

Have a good new year..

cheers
you too :)

Dear Rachel,
Good work sorting it all out, Cem! And I'm delighted to hear you're sticking around!
Glad that you're stuck with me.

Ed,
To new beginnings!

All the best to you Cem and to everyone else, here's to 2011, whatever it may bring!
The same, the same..

Hi Stuart,
Hi Cem,

A Christmas cracker motto: Failure isn't falling down, it's not getting up again.

Well, my friend, you're just about upright again.

New year, new roll of film, clean CF card. Who knows what may happen?

My best wishes to you,

Stuart
Great motto and thanks for the friendship.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Dear John,

Very, very well said Cem.
I'm looking forward to "seeing" you around again.
Oh, and as for starting again here at the bottom - you are one of the pillars of OPF.
You've a hard earned a place at the top and have never lost that honor.
Have a very Happy New Year!
You are one of the kindest friends I have ever had, thanks so much for your continuing support. Hope we shall meet some day soon, perhaps in 2011?

Cheers,

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
… I will start taking pictures again. I will setup some photography projects and execute them. I will reorganize my picture database and share some forgotten pictures here with you. And I will finally update the missing galleries on my web site…

Sounds the perfect wishes for 2011!

Happy new year to you and your beloved my friend <:)

Cem_Usakligil

Dear Doug,

Hi, Fahim,

And if so, in what?

Best regards,

Doug
Who else but you would be on top of things like this? Nowadays, I really expect you to jump in on these and you never ever disappoint me :). Keep up the excellent job, OPF wouldn't be half as interesting without Doug Kerr being on board.

Happy new year to you, Carla and your family.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Nicolas mon ami,

Sounds the perfect wishes for 2011!

Happy new year to you and your beloved my friend <:)
Between friends like us there is not much need for using a lot words. You know exactly how my heart feels.

Best regards to you, Marin and Romain in 2011. Hope to see you soon in Dusseldorf Boot Messe 2011!

Cheers,

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

Dear All,

I have finally been able to gather my thoughts (and also enough courage) to try to explain what my motives have been and what I have learned from your kind responses and how I intend to put them to good use. . . .
Well, if I had written that, Asher would probably have said, "can you put some drawings in it?".

All kidding aside, often I get the best help from those who just listen to me. They are not necessarily transponders, but perhaps just passive mirrors - sometimes just reflective impedance discontinuities

Much of what we need to know in life we already know, but we ignore it, or don't realize that we know it, or perhaps try to avoid the pain that sometimes comes from connection our knowledge to our situation. When we hook up jumper cables to a stalled car, there is sometimes a big spark (even if the have the polarity right). And it scares us.

Maybe it should - if we make the final connection to the battery terminal, rather than to the engine block, as recommended, and for some reason the battery has been outgassing hydrogen, the event can blow the battery up - but I digress.​

In any case, all I can say is to offer my best wishes to you, along with all our other colleagues, for a new year that is successful on every plane. That includes not only care of the product, but of the mill, and its surrounding attendants, as well.

Best regards,

Doug and Carla