• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Charlotte Thompson

my simplicity-

SOB_6576.jpg

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Charlotte,
It is a nice capture and I'll have to agree with Rachel and Asher - it is a bit too dark.
It just needs a bit of adjustment and it will shine!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Charlotte,
It is a nice capture and I'll have to agree with Rachel and Asher - it is a bit too dark.
It just needs a bit of adjustment and it will shine!

The brightest level in this image is just 187 on the histogram, so there are no bright levels present.

Asher

Nill Toulme

Asher as you know I'm not a "portrait guy," but I'm adding this one just because I like it so much and remember that you did too...

1d2-51175_std.jpg

Nill

Phil Marion

while great photos nonetheless, the last few haven't been expressive faces.

This face isn't expressive - it's the opposite because it's the face of a Yemeni man stoned on the mild qat plant

2558351820_209f6a31f2_o.jpg

Because its leaves contain chemicals that are mildly stimulating, people from Tanzania to Yemen chew qat. The World Health Organization (WHO) considers qat to have amphetamine-like properties, and categorizes it as a separate drug group in which it is the sole member. In its analysis of qat, the WHO contends that chronic qat-chewing can cause hypertension in young adults, with a spontaneous regression once consumption ceases.

Lucas Toliman

Dali Tobacco Seller 1986

I took this shot in Dali, southwest China in October 1986 (slide).
Slides%20to%20CD1%20134.jpg

He had been selling tobacco and was enjoying himself at the close of the Dali market day. Genuine amazement/surprise on his face as there weren't many foreigners in that part of China. No airport in Dali, no tourist hotels, a lfull day Chinese bus ride from Kunming.
Lucas

Lucas Toliman

Surprised in his ofuro 1957

I took this shot in rural Kyushu, Japan in 1957 - before Japan was so prosperous There weren't many gaijin around so this youngster was surprised in the midst of his bath to see me. As I recall his cry brought his mother running to his rescue.

00359-1.jpg
Lucas

Asher Kelman

I took this shot in Dali, southwest China in October 1986 (slide).
Slides%20to%20CD1%20134.jpg

He had been selling tobacco and was enjoying himself at the close of the Dali market day. Genuine amazement/surprise on his face as there weren't many foreigners in that part of China. No airport in Dali, no tourist hotels, a lfull day Chinese bus ride from Kunming.
Lucas
It's pretty impressive, Lucas that he's surprised at seeing you. That double hat is fun! Have you seen that before? Is the tobacco grown in China? I doubt that Cuba has enough for China too!

Interesting the blues and cyan's all come together so well.

Thanks for sharing,

Asher

Asher Kelman

I took this shot in rural Kyushu, Japan in 1957 - before Japan was so prosperous There weren't many gaijin around so this youngster was surprised in the midst of his bath to see me. As I recall his cry brought his mother running to his rescue.

Lucas

00359-1.jpg

Lucas Toliman: Boy bathing in tub

This little fellow is a gem! When we were young, we'd have a bath in the kitchen in a galvanized bath tub. The water was boiled in kettles and saucepans! There were way to many kids in our family for the one bath! Later on, when we had a washing machine, a Westinghouse, I bathed inside that after the center "swisher was removed! I always was concerned about the set of rollers for squeezing out water from the clothes, the "ringer". Who knew if something could get caught in it!

So I can appreciate being in my tub and day dreaming only to see a stranger appear.

I'm glad you still have the shot. Did you scan it?

Recent

I don't normally "do people" but when a friend asked me to shoot this 89-year old lady who had recently endowed a foundation to rescue feral cats, I couldn't resist the challenge.

IMG_0006.jpg

Charles Webster: A Civic Minded Lady!

I thought her face showed her spirit and her youth.

Asher Kelman

I don't normally "do people" but when a friend asked me to shoot this 89-year old lady who had recently endowed a foundation to rescue feral cats, I couldn't resist the challenge.I thought her face showed her spirit and her youth.

IMG_0006.jpg

Charles Webster: A Civic Minded Lady!

This lady shows a vibrant awareness and sense of worth and appreciation for company. No doubt she has done great things for the community before and has a lot of stories too. Feral animals are a side effect of folk not being able to predict that they just cannot handle the responsibility of an animal or else the cat gets lost! Either way, unless an enterprising eagle or coyote steps in nothing is to hold back the chaotic lives these ex-pets have.

This lady doesn't get into those details, she just writes a check and that's a great kindness.

Asher

-snip-

This lady doesn't get into those details, she just writes a check and that's a great kindness.

Asher

This lady is very involved in the nitty-gritty daily grind of rescuing these unfortunate cats, and has been at it for many years. But writing the checks is also a very important activity. The many people who volunteer for this kind of work need supplies and vet vouchers etc.

Lucas Toliman

It's pretty impressive, Lucas that he's surprised at seeing you. That double hat is fun! Have you seen that before? Is the tobacco grown in China? I doubt that Cuba has enough for China too!

Interesting the blues and cyan's all come together so well.

Thanks for sharing,

Asher
Tobacco was a major crop in that part of China, Yunnan province. It is interesting where tobacco grows. It was grown (probably no longer due to drop in demand) north of New York City in the Connecticut River valley.
The double hat was a quirk, as I recall. The blue cap was very common, a hangover from Chairman Mao's cap, which everyone wore as part of a 'uniform' even in 1986.
Lucas

Lucas Toliman

00359-1.jpg

Lucas Toliman: Boy bathing in tub

This little fellow is a gem! When we were young, we'd have a bath in the kitchen in a galvanized bath tub. The water was boiled in kettles and saucepans! There were way to many kids in our family for the one bath! Later on, when we had a washing machine, a Westinghouse, I bathed inside that after the center "swisher was removed! I always was concerned about the set of rollers for squeezing out water from the clothes, the "ringer". Who knew if something could get caught in it!

So I can appreciate being in my tub and day dreaming only to see a stranger appear.

I'm glad you still have the shot. Did you scan it?
Re the Westinghouse: wonderful!
Yes, I had a large number of my early slides scanned to disk some years back.
Lucas

Asher Kelman

Just a quickie - just developed a few rolls of HP5 from Christmas.

This is my brother's partner, Lel - a lovely lady.

Mike

4494359719_68d93b6767_o.jpg

Mike,

I can't imagine how I missed this picture. Thanks for HP5! Yes she does look like a great lady. what does she do and do you have any other pictures of her in B&W. any sitting or... walking a dog. somehow I feel she should have dog!

Is "just developed", "just come from my darkroom" or "just got pics from the store"?

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Asher

This is just developed - this is from the print file that will be sent to print when I have a batch to do.

Lel was originally a video editor for the BBC, but since has also worked as a masseur (therapeutic), brought up their daughter (now a young dancer in training) and is working in my brothers business. This is a Theatre in Education business where Dave produces and directs as well as managing the business and his business partner writes the plays.

Mike

Mike Shimwell

Fahim

She is indeed more special than the picture:) She is actually from Swindon area, where her family have a farm. They met in London and now live in the Derbyshire Peak District, which I recall you visiting and defending your love of green!

Mike