• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The future of PHP based websites

Don Lashier

Sean DeMerchant said:
Whatever naysaying people may have, a recently announced partnership places PHP on the fast track to continuing as a widespread development platform.
That's certainly a switch - a little over a year ago we (and other PHP hosting services) were trying to cope with Microsoft denial of service attacks, and now they want to embrace PHP? I suppose this means they'll limit their attacks to *nix based PHP sites :( As usual, I'm skeptical, trying to figure out what devious "embrace and extend" plan they have up their sleeve now. OTOH now that Bill is officially retired maybe they have changed their tune.

- DL

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
One of these days, Don, I'm going to have to travel to see you to get educated on your templates.

For now, vBulleting works. My daily toil is to kick out spammers!

I intend to distribute sufficent admin privileges to to this faster. So0me spammers seem to specialize in PHP sites!

Asher

Wider Scope

Don Lashier said:
As usual, I'm skeptical, trying to figure out what devious "embrace and extend" plan they have up their sleeve now. OTOH now that Bill is officially retired maybe they have changed their tune.

I am skeptical here too. But check out today;s announcement:

Microsoft and Novell Announce Broad Collaboration on Windows and Linux Interoperability and Support

or from Novell (press release yields a server error, this is the FAQs):

Novell and Microsoft Collaborate

At this point I have no idea what is going on.

Some issues I can see.

• Imdemnification of SUSE Linux customers from Microsoft patent litigation.
  • They tout virtualization of Linux on Windows and Windows on Linux. So they may be reaching out to new markets.
  • Document format compatability.
  • It could be an anti-anti-trust play?
  • ???
I really do not know. Too much is behind closed doors to really know. But the one two punch here makes me wonder what will be announced Friday. Who knows? I just try to keep an eye on where things are going with the technologies I use.

enjoy,

Sean