• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The New American Gothic: Los Trabajadores

The-New-American-Gothic---Los-Trabajadores.jpg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Chris,

Welcome to OPF! Tell us about yourself!

Your picture is superbly made! The poses work and the image has a very solid 3D effect with “presence”.

I normally don’t ask for an exhibition quality image, “with what camera lens combo was this made”, but this is your first shot here and your picture is that extraordinary and pleasing!

Asher

Chris,

Welcome to OPF! Tell us about yourself!

Your picture is superbly made! The poses work and the image has a very solid 3D effect with “presence”.

I normally don’t ask for an exhibition quality image, “with what camera lens combo was this made”, but this is your first shot here and your picture is that extraordinary and pleasing!

Asher
Nikon D850, 24-120 @28mm, f/6.3, 1/250, ISO 200. Grant Wood's American Gothic depicts that exiting point from the great depression and the toil it took on the farmers. My rendition shows the emergence of of a people ready, willing and able to work, especially in jobs most Americans find "beneath them."

Asher Kelman

I love this one. The movement and all the wrinkles and pleats in the clothes is very pleasing to me
C4E97F06-B065-4E37-976E-8F80A15A5A03.jpeg

Chris,

I agree with Maggie that the many folds in the clothes are an important unifying element of your photograph.

But in addition, the twisted remnants of tar part and old asphalt sheeting ripped off the roof provides an interesting and massive challenging counterpoint to all the details of folds distributed among thr workers’ clothing!

Altogether, this is an excellent composition and a great choice for B&W presentation.

Asher.

These guys were a real joy to shoot and interact with. Google translate was quite beneficial as well. Most days, I cooked them a hot lunch in the style of their country using their suggested ingredients. So, so much different from Taco Bell :) Since they have been here, we've experienced one pretty severe tropical storm and two tornadoes. My roof is the only one not damaged. I can't imagine losing this workforce. I took nice individual shots of each of them to send home to their families.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Chris,
These guys were a real joy to shoot and interact with. Google translate was quite beneficial as well. Most days, I cooked them a hot lunch in the style of their country using their suggested ingredients. So, so much different from Taco Bell :) Since they have been here, we've experienced one pretty severe tropical storm and two tornadoes. My roof is the only one not damaged. I can't imagine losing this workforce. I took nice individual shots of each of them to send home to their families.
Great picture, and what a wonderful story! Fabulous that you learned to cook a new lunch cuisine.

And so glad to hear that the roof they updated held up to the elements.

Thanks,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Did you mention where they are from and how you found thrm?

Interesting relationships you have developed. Chances are their friends are good workers in other trades!

Asher