• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The New Mexico Republican presidential primary

Doug Kerr

The state of New Mexico will hold its Republican presidential primary on June 5, 2012.

I report on it at this early time as it is of particular interest to us; we will be residents of New Mexico by that time, and will have registered to be able to vote in New Mexico.​

The New Mexico Republican presidential primary is a closed primary; that is, only eligible voters who are registered members of the New Mexico Republican party will be able to vote in the Republican primary.

Carla and I will not be registered members of the New Mexico Republican Party, and thus will not be able to vote in the Republican primary.​

The results of the New Mexico Republican presidential primary dictate the contender commitment of 20 of the state's 23 delegates to the national Republican Convention (although the actual selection is formally done at the state Republican Convention, by secret ballot). The allocation is proportional to the statewide vote received by each contender who received at least 15% of the vote; thus, two or more contenders can be allocated delegates. I do not know the details of the "quantizing" algorithm.

The 20 delegates are committed to vote for the associated contender only in the first round of balloting at the national convention (unless earlier "released" by the contender, perhaps upon the contender's decision to withdraw from the competition, or if the contender has died).

Best regards,

Doug