• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: The two hills..

fahim mohammed

It is dry. It is hot. it is barren. The valley.

An infant and his mother are in that desolate valley. No one around.

The mother and child shall surely perish in the heat.

Maternal instinct is overpowering. She has to save her child.

There are two small hills in the distance. Maybe she can see a settlement from the
top of the hills.

She leaves her child on the ground and goes towards the hills. She climbs one.

The mother can see nothing. She runs towards the other hill, climbs it. Nothing!

In desperation, the mother looks towards the tiny figure of her child; as she runs
to climb the first hill again.

The mother is tired, weak, almost on the verge of dying. But she continues to
seek help by running from one hill to the other. Sighting her infant, hoping to see
him alive.

The mother's name is Hajar. The child's name is Ismail ( PBUH ), son of Ibrahim ( PBUH ).

Ibrahim ( PBUH ) is also the father of Ishaque ( PBUH ). Ishaque's ( PBUH ) mother is Sarah.

The two hills are known as Safa and Marwa.

Where the child lay is the spring of Zam Zam.

The running of the mother between the two hills is known as Sa-ie.

Next to where the child lay is the Holy Kabaa.

The running between the hills is a compulsory act during the pilgrimage to Makkah.
Both during the Haj and during the Umra.

The place is, of course, the Holiest City of Islam; Makkah Al-Mukkarramah.

I am posting this for informational purposes only. I apologize, but I shall not enter into discussions with regards to this subject or any religious issue.

However, I shall endeavor to answer questions ( not arguments or discussions ). Else I shall say I do not know.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Please enlighten me. Is this a mythic event related to the current Muslim holy days of Ramaddan?

If so, where can I find more information (short of walking into my local mosque and asking the mullah).

Thank you for your consideration.

fahim mohammed

Please enlighten me. Is this a mythic event related to the current Muslim holy days of Ramaddan?

If so, where can I find more information (short of walking into my local mosque and asking the mullah).

Thank you for your consideration.

Hi Charles..Good Morning.

No. The event narrated in the post is a historical event based on the Holy Quran and the Haddith ( the sayings of The Prophet Mohammed ( PBUH ) ).

The event described in and of itself has nothing to do with the Holy month of Ramadan.

The Pilgrimage to Makkah is of two types:

1. Haj( Hajj. ). This is performed by Muslims during the Islamic month of Dhil-Hijjah. This is the Pilgrimage you might have seen live on CNN.

It is compulsory for every Muslim ( male/female ) to perform Haj at least once in his/her lifetime.
There are conditions and exemptions and restrictions.

2. The Umra.

This is a Pilgrimage to Makkah that can be performed at any time. Umra is a voluntary undertaking.
Once again conditions and restrictions are stipulated.

During the performance of either the Haj or the Umra, a Muslim has to go from one hill to the other
a number of times. These are the same small hills that are mentioned in the post. ( this is one duty amongst many that need to be performed during the 2 Pilgrimages ).

Nowadays, the entire hills and the distance between them is covered and air-conditioned. There are
mechanized small vehicles for the sick/invalid/old.

The water spring mentioned in the post has been supplying water to the visitors for generations.
Now the spring water is pumped into really huge refrigeration units and cold water is available
24/7 to all that visit The Grand Mosque in Makkah.

For more information I would recommend you contact the Royal Saudi Arabian Embassy in D.C or the
Consulate in L.A ( there are quite a few Saudi Consulates in different cities in the USA ).

Regards.

p.s please keep in mind that The Grand Mosque in Makkah is open 24/7 for prayers ( as it is for Umra ).
One can pray in the Grand Mosque, but not be performing Umra. One can be reading the Holy Quran in the Grand Mosque and not be on a Haj Pilgrimage.

The Grand Mosque in Makkah is a mosque. Residents living in Makkah could go 5 times a day for the compulsory prayers. At least those that are near it. There are many other mosques within the city of Makkah.