• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Trees & the Motif of "Sky"!

Ruben Alfu

Jake, very cool photos, I was inspired by those images and came up with this. I think it's a Lebanon Cedar, if someone knows for sure please confirm or correct me!

_MG_7419.jpg

Regards,

Ruben

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ruben,

I love it. Disciplined! Remarkable fine imaging. Nothing superfluous, except for minor tidiness (I'd consider editing away the tiny elements that cross the lower border).

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

There is a lot of inspiration here!

On of my favourite tree photos makes emphasis on the lung-like appearance of a tree without leaves:

Michael,

What's particularly remarkable to me is the effect of the moon shining between the leafless branches. I'm impressed that the simple act of your placement of the moon there, cleaves the tree into a pair of trees that complement each other.

I must admit to liking this picture a lot. I wonder how large you can print it. Also, have to tried a B&W version? That would be an interesting experiment.

Asher

Michael Nagel

Thanks Asher!

I must admit that the placement was intuitive - I felt that the place of the moon where you can see it was the best out of all positions possible at this moment.

The original resolution is approx. 4200x3000 pixel. I do not know what print size is possible with that resolution.

I did not try a b/w version - yet. I should...

Best regards,
Michael

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Somewhat lackluster effort for the title but closest thing I've got which doesn't look horribly cliched :)

highlandfog.jpg

Highland Mist, Scotland, 2007

Asher Kelman

Somewhat lackluster effort for the title but closest thing I've got which doesn't look horribly cliched :)

highlandfog.jpg

Highland Mist, Scotland, 2007

Ben,

I don't mind cliché, smiles, winks and the like. This picture has a chill to it like Hélene's pictures of grim dawn in france with empty streets and suppressed color.

Asher

Tracy Lebenzon

This was a digital capture, a 5 frame stitch IIRC, and it was mostly an average work up. I did a little bit of color enhancement on the reds.

Thank you, Asher, for all you do on the site!

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi,

One of my own....

2010_08_AS8459_AndrewStannard.jpg

THis is my favourite local tree, but alas.... The top was blown off in a storm a few weeks back, so the top of the trunk is now level with the leaves on the right-hand side. A shame really, and I think it has now lost some of its photographic balance, but no doubt I will still be back to photograph it again.

Regards,
Andrew.

Asher Kelman

A Sunset that arouses not just wonder, but also contemplation of loss too.

THis is my favourite local tree, but alas.... The top was blown off in a storm a few weeks back, so the top of the trunk is now level with the leaves on the right-hand side. A shame really, and I think it has now lost some of its photographic balance, but no doubt I will still be back to photograph it again.

2010_08_AS8459_AndrewStannard.jpg

That tree that has lost so much tells us about suffering. We feel tragedy, where potential is wasted or taken away from us.

This is, at last, a great sunset which earns a place above the gazillions of postcard-pretty pictures we see so often.

Thanks for sharing.

Asher

Andrew Stannard

pro member
That tree that has lost so much tells us about suffering. We feel tragedy, where potential is wasted or taken away from us.

And I suspect that despite the continuing ravages of time it will go on telling this story long past the end of my own lifetime. I will continue to document this tree's own story over the coming years - It will no doubt continue to suffer in the winter storms to come.

By way of reference I show below two more photos of the same tree. The snowy scene I am less fond of, but in the 2nd shot I find that the tree seems to command a sense of respect and watching over the surrounding scene. A more powerful presence.

2010_12_AS1558_AndrewStannard.jpg

2007_08_AS5434_AndrewStannard.jpg

Regards, and thanks for looking,

Andrew.

Asher Kelman

And I suspect that despite the continuing ravages of time it will go on telling this story long past the end of my own lifetime. I will continue to document this tree's own story over the coming years - It will no doubt continue to suffer in the winter storms to come.

By way of reference I show below two more photos of the same tree. The snowy scene I am less fond of, but in the 2nd shot I find that the tree seems to command a sense of respect and watching over the surrounding scene. A more powerful presence.

2010_12_AS1558_AndrewStannard.jpg

You have the right ideas, for sure. At issue here are the lines that converge our gaze to somewhere to the right of the tree. Recomposing is all you need and the tree would dominate.

2007_08_AS5434_AndrewStannard.jpg

This more focused picture is so easy to appreciate, of course but I like the studied bleakness of the snow-covered landscape.

Andrew,

Don't give up on the snow! I do like this as a series. Remember how Magritte explored and re-explored the pipe! Of course, Nicolas claris' helicopter would come in handy for this shot to command the surrounding blanket of snow.

Asher

5269921893_145e47f7ca_b.jpg

Snow Gum Before Mount Duncan

Gelatin-silver photograph on Freestyle Private Reserve VC FB photographic paper, image size 21.4cm X 16.5cm, from an Efke IR820 negative exposed in a Mamiya RB 67 camera with a 50mm f4.5 lens and IR720 filter.

Asher Kelman

5269921893_145e47f7ca_b.jpg

Snow Gum Before Mount Duncan

Gelatin-silver photograph on Freestyle Private Reserve VC FB photographic paper, image size 21.4cm X 16.5cm, from an Efke IR820 negative exposed in a Mamiya RB 67 camera with a 50mm f4.5 lens and IR720 filter.

Of course I'm impressed. But why no leaves? Is it dead? I thought that Eucalyptus pauciflora didn't shed its leaves but the branches bend to shed the snow instead!

Asher

Mark Hampton

20111210_6019.jpg

Initial.conditions.dependent - M Hampton

dots on screen hitting your eyes. printed into your mind seemingly a whole made from its parts. where the tree starts and the atmosphere begins will always be mute.

I was going to call it scotch mist!

But is neither mist nor whisky.

Of course I'm impressed. But why no leaves? Is it dead? I thought that Eucalyptus pauciflora didn't shed its leaves but the branches bend to shed the snow instead!

Asher

Asher, you are right. E. pauciflora is an evergreen. Australia has no native deciduous plants at all except a rare Gondwanaland relic in the south of Tasmania. We get autumn but not Fall!

This Snow Gum was mostly killed by fire 6 years ago but one of its deep basal epicormic buds has sprouted down on the right hand size. Snow Gums like the American Bristlecone Pines are slow, bent, tenacious, and almost eternal.

Mark Hampton

20111217_6062.jpg

Initial.dependent.conditions.- M Hampton

dots on screen hitting your eyes. printed into your mind seemingly a whole made from its parts. where the tree starts and the atmosphere begins will always be mute 2.

Mark Hampton

yup.jpg

Dependent.conditions.initial.- M Hampton

dots on screen hitting your eyes. printed into your mind seemingly a whole made from its parts. where the tree starts and the atmosphere begins will always be mute 3.

Asher Kelman

yup.jpg

Dependent.conditions.initial.- M Hampton

dots on screen hitting your eyes. printed into your mind seemingly a whole made from its parts. where the tree starts and the atmosphere begins will always be mute 3.

Mark,

I do appreciate the focus you have in controlling the width of the path and direction of your current esthetic vision. You are not straying too much and so you can learn from your growing body of work. I'm impressed that your work has your fingerprints.

Asher

Mark Hampton

Mark,

I do appreciate the focus you have in controlling the width of the path and direction of your current esthetic vision. You are not straying too much and so you can learn from your growing body of work. I'm impressed that your work has your fingerprints.

Asher

Asher,

there is as you identify a method of working - in these works I am trying to express a constriction - from above that I feel is present in our time... the images are quiet and I guess get drowned out by the noise..

sometimes I feel as if they barely exist enough for other to see.

thanks for the time and comments.

Mark Hampton

So many fascinating sights in Vegas.

John

L1002497-Edit.jpg

John,

I enjoy the fractal qualities in this - there is for me in most of your work (i have seen) a poise.

is there a slight lightning around the trees - or is my eye monitor interface burst again?

3-1.jpg

Extract LL2 (WIHNMBP)- M Hampton​

i think the eye monitor interface is burst again

cheers