• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Underground Stations have their own beauty

Michael Nagel

Asher - thank you.

I used the concept of just showing the legs already on this one:

I find myself playing with it when there is an occasion. I am curious on how this evolves...

Best regards,
Michael

These are wonderful photos of an interesting place, Michael. As you say, the place is new. Even the track ballast appears fresh and clean. The place does not appear to be very busy, were the photos taken late at night, perhaps?

Michael Nagel

Tom,

thank you. The photos were taken on a day where it was not that busy. As it is at on end of the line, the place is less busy than the stations closer to the center.

All these photos were taken during the afternoon.

These are from another station on the same line. This station is among the few U-Bahn stations that are on the surface.

Before you go downstairs you might see this when you look to your right:

Walking down the stairs, you see this:

Arrived:

Best regards,
Michael

fahim mohammed

Michael, I watch this series in amazement. For the composition, the color, the presentation and
the technical and artistic vision.

Bravo.

Michael Nagel

Tom - thank you!

Fahim - thank you! Places like the underground stations do always invite me to look around. The views and details continue to amaze me.

Best regards,
Michael

fahim mohammed

Michael, this is beautiful work. Lovely in its compositions and visual impact. It also demonstrates your dedication for the theme. The imagery follows and flows to convey your vision.

Needs a greater audience and maybe a book!!

Kindest regards.

Underground Stations are points in a network which is dedicated to transport -> motion.

Here are examples of this primary purpose.

Best regards,
Michael

Jarmo Juntunen

I agree with Fahim. This has been an interesting project to follow. I particularly enjoyed the first one in Michael's last post. What a fantastic idea!

Paul Abbott

Hey Michael, that first image of yours is quintessential and shockingly good. I can only imagine how great this would look printed up and on a wall...:)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Underground Stations are points in a network which is dedicated to transport -> motion.

Here are example of this primary purpose.

Michael,

The reflection in the window fare minimalist but sufficient to paint a sense of both speed and the people being whisked away to somewhere through the darkness. I do like this as partial representation is, I believe, providing us with a way of more personally entering the scene, as we reconstitute the people from our own imagination and memories.

asher

Michael Nagel

Fahim,

thank you. I will continue this project with more intensity when the days are getting shorter and the weather is less inviting for going outside. I do not know how the final outcome will look like or what could be the way of presentation, but this will be considered when I feel that it is time to do so.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Asher,

yes, there is a lot of room for imagination. I am curious in which way the series turns when I carry on this autumn.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Traveling with the Underground offers a lot of different views. Most stations are larger tubes, underground halls or large rooms on several layers. There are also other types of stations. One of these is shown here from the viewpoint of a traveler who is entering the station and looking outside.

Here is the station seen from the outside. You can see the higher entry level and the pillars help you imagine the lower platform level.

Looking outside on entry level:

U1

Looking outside on platform level:

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

U1

Looking outside on platform level:

Michael,

This is superbly conceived and executed. This clean architecture discards so much off the past. In fact it has no recognizable connection at once with anything of previous centuries, except, perhaps, stained glass windows in great cathedrals. So here's the question. Is this modernity part of Germanic thinking of the current post-wars epoch. Have the people found a new clarity that extends beyond this magnificent architecture or does this "logical" and simply evocative design only belong in the arts? Could there perhaps be some manifestation of this clarity in developing social and academic understanding or even make its way to political expression?

Asher

Michael Nagel

So here's the question. Is this modernity part of Germanic thinking of the current post-wars epoch. Have the people found a new clarity that extends beyond this magnificent architecture or does this "logical" and simply evocative design only belong in the arts? Could there perhaps be some manifestation of this clarity in developing social and academic understanding or even make its way to political expression?
Asher,

These are many questions. I will try to answer some.

From what I see (subjective and far from any kind of complete view) architecture is pretty diverse in Germany. Modernism is a part of it, but it is one among other styles. There is a drive to preserve the look of cities in a way like these were before WWII - buildings look older than they are - Augsburg is a good example for that. Other cities like Kassel left the past behind and the place was rebuilt from scratch.
I think that examples like this particular station are owed to the fact that the Munich U-Bahn system does not have the same long history like for example Le Métro in Paris, there is no particular style that needs to be preserved and experiments are welcome as long as the function of the building is up to the needs and the appearance does not make a too high contrast to the surroundings. There are, however, always examples that contradict this...
I would like to see a little more audacity in architecture, at least sometimes.
Political expression in architecture? No. I think that there are still many people who dislike the extend to which architecture was employed for politics in the Third Reich. The museum now known as Haus der Kunst in Munich is an excellent example of this architecture.

Best regards,
Michael