• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Unpleasant - Graphic - Sad

Hi All,

The following words are graphic, unpleasant, and sad. Please do not read them unless you are prepared for them as they entail graphic depictions of death.

My experience today has left my uncentered and I want to express it. While I took no photos, the words themselves are visual in nature and some may not wish to read of the death of a pet.

[text way below]

In the USA it is often said that bad things come in threes. On Wednesday I learned that a friends 17 year old dog had passed on.

SPE21394_RSE_02%20copy.jpg

Dennis at 17

His kidneys had failed and he had stopped eating and had to be put down.

Thursday I mentioned this to a friend and recieved a tale of how here family dog had died recently and how at the store the other day with her mother she had caught her mother buying dog treats for a dearly beloved but passed on 17 year old.

[The graphic part starts please do not read if you do not like graphic depictions of death. Please note my intent is not to portray lurid details, but to place thoughts into formal words and portray some visual elements about which I am confused.]

Today, Friday, I was about to leave and go take some photos and after putting my gear in the car a neighborhood cat skulked by. I did my usual making kindly sounds at cats. Or perhaps I said kitty-kitty or something similar. Whatever noise I made, the intent was kindly. Shortly after I finished making noise and when the cat felt its position relative to me was safe to run for it, it ran about a bush and towards the road. I remember thinking it would be awful if it ran into traffic or something similar.

Sadly, that thought was prophetic as the cats crazy dash towards the road was followed by cars coming both ways and two thuds as it was struck by a car on the far side of the road (50 MPH speed limit). At this point I moved so I could see that cat and saw violent and powerful deformed movements that I have never witnessed before in a feline and the cat went still. The car that had hit the cat then callously drove on without checking to see if they could take the cat to a vet. The car behind the car that hit the cat then also drove on avoiding hitting the cat.

At this point the cat had gone still and my thoughts were on what I could do for the cat. I do not know where the local vets office is and decided that getting the cat out of the road was the first step. Aware that approaching a wounded animal is unwise I went and found a handy floor rug so that I could safely approach and move the injured animal without being injured myself. I stopped the traffic coming both ways on the road with a raised flat hand as those directing traffic use and went to get the cat from where it lay. The first thing I noted was the pupils were fully 100% dilated on the cat which seemed very odd and moving at the same time. I then used the rug to gently get beneath and around the cat in case it reacted violently to any pain I induced and carried it unreacting out of the road where I laid it upon some freshly mown grass leaving behind a few small blood stains on the asphalt.

Its pose remained the same and the eyes unmoving and fully dilated without any pupilary color visible at all. And then I stared into those empty eyes for a while as I accepted it was dead and I could do nothing more for it. No rush to find a vet, not even a final kind and loving word for a beautiful stranger. In the end, the poor cat died alone in great pain in the middle of the road. The only thing I can say that is positive is that it only took me a minute to get to the cat to take it from the road and it was already passed on at that point. At this point, knowing I could do nothing for the cat I left it there and moved on to the living.

I then began canvassing the neighborhood ringing doorbells and talking to people to find its owners. Knowing that a domestic cats territory is about 3-5 acres (not many houses away out here in the country) I slowly worked around the block until I found what were likely to be the owners. At this point the man I met let me know that one of the individuals in the cars I had stopped to remove the cat from the road had told the mans wife who was at work what was witnessed and he had already collected the body from where I had left it. I heard denial in his words, but his eyes were red and the neighbor did/does have a similar cat. But he also told me the neighbors had not been there as long as the cat they have/live with. And the feline I saw die had only been around the neighborhood a short while (4-8 weeks). The man said the cats markings matched but without eye color he was unsure and since the cat rarely came home before dark it was too early to decide if it was him or not. I suspect this was denial and he noted he would not be updating his wife until she got home as she was having a hard enough time.

And that is the tale, but not my questions/observations. The pupilary responce with complete dilation surprised and fascinated* me. And what I suspect was the owner's denial based on being unable to see the eyes' colors.

Now, I wish I had closed to poor beast's eyes so that its owner need not have seen such a soulless sight and not just a still and almost sleeping visage on its face.

Is this pupilary response to death normal? Is this why movies depict the closing of the dead's eyes as a standard response to a being's passing? Anyway, these questions are not meant to be morbid, but simple curiosity as I found the completely dilated eyes to be a visually powerful and bizarre thing to witness.

I never did take any photos although I did go out where I intended to go. But I am still feeling retrospective over what I had seen and I am off center and not feeling creative at the moment.

thanks,

Sean

* It was hard to look away, not that I found it pleasent or other such positive things.

Last edited:

Rob.Martin

A dead pet is awful

A lot of people don't quite realise when they go into the pet thing that
a. you nearly always outlive them (unless you buy a parrott)
b. you're always more attached than you realise., they become family
c. you have to make decisions on the LIFE of a thing you love. And this could mean killing for mercy.
Not nice, but part of lifes unending process.
I liked the post, not morbid at all, just sad, as you mention.
Rob

Mary Bull

Sean, I read your entire post and was very moved by it.

I am starting a daughter thread in the "Provocative" forum, since I want to comment on some of the more graphic parts of the experience and thoughts you've shared with us here.

And I'm so very glad that you did share them.

Mary

Thanks Rob. The goal was not to be morbid, but to put into words what I experienced in a quest for understanding. The answer was that I need many more years and experiences before I should dwell on it.

I also appreciate that pets often do one thing beyond sharing our love, and that is they often teach us about death. And have had my share of that in this life.

This experience was more immediate and graphic and the visual elements of the experience blocked my creativity. The images are still there, but I was lucky enough to chat with someone tonight who was willing to share their love of their craft in words and redirect my mind from the visceral visions I experienced back towards the path to creation. I think this will take a while to digest visually what I witnessed. There is no sense and there is no understanding, but simply being.

enjoy your day,

Sean

Last edited:
Mary Bull said:
And I'm so very glad that you did share them.

Thanks Mary. Some people have diaries, some have blogs, I like to talk and the issue at hand for me was the visual experience which was very moving. Not in a positive fashion, nor horribly sad. But more confusing and arresting in nature. It captured my visual attention to an excessive degree and I was lost as to how to redirect my vision to new things.

all the best,

Sean

Will_Perlis

"In the end, the poor cat died alone in great pain in the middle of the road."

IMO, we all die alone no matter what. However, this cat wasn't in any great pain if my various experiences dumping motorcycles in the road and otherwise banging myself up over too many decades are any guide. (Also, the behaviour and reports of accident victims in the ER tends to support this)

Severe impacts don't start to hurt until much later, and in this case there was no much later.

Mary Bull

Will_Perlis said:
"In the end, the poor cat died alone in great pain in the middle of the road."

IMO, we all die alone no matter what. However, this cat wasn't in any great pain if my various experiences dumping motorcycles in the road and otherwise banging myself up over too many decades are any guide. (Also, the behaviour and reports of accident victims in the ER tends to support this)
The appearance of pain was there for Sean, in the muscle reactions he observed.

However, speaking only subjectively, I do agree with you, Will.

In November, 1955, I made a head-on collision with another car. Largely my own fault, due to inexperience. Anyway, I broke the windshield with my jaw and broke my pelvis on the steering wheel. Jaw was a compound fracture. I did hit pretty hard--knocked me out.

When I came to, I was in an ambulance on the way to Chattanooga. I felt no pain at all. Felt no pain until several hours later, as a matter of fact.

Just one person's experience.

Severe impacts don't start to hurt until much later, and in this case there was no much later.
I believe this is true.

We can grieve for the cat. I have empathy for Sean, too. Both the natural humanity and the artist in him were quite traumatized.

But as he posted to the thread I started, "Accidental Death of a Pet" in the forum "Provocative Thoughts and Images," he has come to terms with his experience and has laid aside trying to deal with it in favor of moving on with his creative life.

Mary

Roger Lambert

I think you may rest assured that the poor cat suffered no pain. The impact he received from that car was immense, and would have killed him instantly.

Please forgive my following explanation, because it is graphic:

The muscle spasms you observed are not the movements of a conscious animal, they are typical death throes of a creature which has a devasted central nervous system. The unfortunate cat could not possibly have felt pain, because his brain was destroyed at the moment of impact. The fully dilated eyes is furthur evidence of all this.

I hope this gives you solace. :)