• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Water transportation: boats, ships, barges, harbours, sluices, etc.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi folks,

Here is a theme which Tom Robbins and I are very enthusiastic about. We shall be sharing pictures related to all sorts of water transportation, maritime industry, etc. We would like to encourage you to share your pictures too. Looking forward to seeing many posts! :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Now this is a great idea and both of you have already invested your sentiments in maritime scenes. We need Nicolas too!

Great idea!

Asher

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
I know I've posted this pic quite a few times before so please forgive me, it's the only one I have with a boat in..

arnisdale.jpg

Arnisdale, Western Highlands of Scotland.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Ben,

I know I've posted this pic quite a few times before so please forgive me, it's the only one I have with a boat in..

arnisdale.jpg

Arnisdale, Western Highlands of Scotland.
This is a great opening to this theme. You have set the bar high for us. :)
I hope we'll see many contributions, I will post myself as soon as I can.

Cem_Usakligil

Well, for really heavy loads (beyond my imagination and far beyond the needs for anyone in this thread), there is still this company, but beware, things can always go wrong.
Not a big surprise, Dockwise is a Dutch company. We have a lot of global players in the areas of heavy lifting, salvage, dredging, earth moving, etc. Mammoet, Smit Tak, Boskalis are a few of those names. I may even have some pictures of the Dockwise ships, will look.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Michael,
Cem - great idea!

Ben - I really like this one for the light.

I do not have a lot, but here are two with different moods.

Not really calm:

Calm:

The first was taken where the name indicates, the second at Ammersee.

Best regards,
Michael
I am glad to see your pictures, they are both very good in their own right. I like the light of the first one. The composition in the second one is quite strong. Most shooters would have put the horizon on the lower 1/3rd of the frame.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Thanks Cem!
I know you have marvelous shots of boats… your turn now :)

Michael: You're "Calm" one is beautiful…

Michael Nagel

Cem - thank you. Barges are not what I call beautiful ships, but you managed to put something I cannot really grasp on top of their utilitarian look.

Nicolas - thank you. The reflection on your 'Crew transportation' is captivating!

Ammersee again, a bit unusual, but fun (I hope):

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Calm:

Michael,

This is remarkable for the segmentation of the water into flat facets at slightly different angles like a broadly cut Eurpean diamond of the last century. Is there any contribution of post processing to this effect or is this how people saw it that day?

The cross, BTW is enigmatic! What is it doing there!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Here is a pano (11 tiles horizontally) of an obscure corner of the Rotterdam harbour.

f47722.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Nagel

Asher,

Thanks - the effect is created by a very slight breeze creating small waves and by an exposure of 1/250s freezing these waves.
I have no idea about the cross...

Back to the tuba:
That day (6th of November this year), we went to Herrsching for our Sunday walk and stopped at one of the Beer Gardens at the Ammersee.
It was fun - there was a band that arrived on a boat, they sat down to play music at the Beer Garden and left on the boat playing...
There was also one guy making music on his own on another boat. Both met later on the lake.

Here are the remaining pictures:

Best regards,
Michael

This is a wonderful thread with great responses, Cem! The photos posted thus far are a joy with a good variety of subjects, and the comments regarding water transportation are absolutely fascinating as they show a wide variety of points of view. I doubt there are many photography threads anywhere that covers so much ground, water actually, so quickly.

Mark, you are correct about barges being ugly brutes. Those found in the major riverways of Midwest of the US are built to haul bulk freight as economically as possible. There is little room indeed for aesthetics in this river-borne commerce-driven business, and this places them at one end of the water transportation spectrum. Nicolas' photos of beautiful boats easily represents the other end. But, there is something about the environment, culture, conditions, and raw power of the river barge business that provides many aspects to ponder.

I'd like to share a photo or two here, but am unable to do so for some reason. I will try again later.

Asher Kelman

This is a wonderful thread with great responses, Cem! The photos posted thus far are a joy with a good variety of subjects, and the comments regarding water transportation are absolutely fascinating as they show a wide variety of points of view. I doubt there are many photography threads anywhere that covers so much ground, water actually, so quickly.

Well put, Tom!

It's as if you and Cem decided to open a valve and all this creative expression pours out. Bravo! Better than that, you ferreted out Nicolas for more of his work!

Thanks!

Asher

Andrew Stannard

pro member
The figure provides a great sense of scale in this shot Cem. I think without it I would have presume the ship to be smaller.

The flowing lines are also pleasing, and I'm glad the metal rail in the ground on the right doesn't flow out of the frame, as I imagine it could easily have done without careful composition.

Regards,
Andrew.

Michael Nagel

This one was taken at the riverside of Antwerp, Belgium.
What Andrew wrote and beyond that I see a contrast between the calm appearance of the entire view and the traces at the hull at the ships's bow speaking of the force of the water pushing the metal inwards.

Best regards,
Michael

Here's one of my ship shots. The floating crane is actually a lot bigger than it seems from this shooting position some 8 metres (26 feet) above the water. Just look at the two small orange life buoys/rings on the rear railing to get a sense of size ...

4970_(HDR).jpg

Cheers,
Bart