• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

wave.4.8000

Mark Hampton

two works - 8 data samples of waves @ 1/8,000s - each image contains the data from 4 exposures - this data is then manipulated to make an image that is as close to remembering a dream as I can.

the tantalising nature of trying to remember a dream whilst awake seems to me to be a physical sensation - wave-like eletric

the images ready to be printed and waxed and rephotographed.

waveparttime2-1.jpg

wave.4.8000 - M.Hampton

waveparttime-1.jpg

wave.4.8000 - M.Hampton​

no hope to abandon

Last edited:

Mark Hampton

two works - 8 data samples of waves @ 1/8,000s - each image contains the data from 4 exposures - this data is then manipulated to make an image that is as close to remembering a dream as I can.

the tantalising nature of trying to remember a dream whilst awake seems to me to be a physical sensation - wave-like eletric

waveparttime2-1.jpg

wave.4.8000 - M.Hampton

waveparttime-1.jpg

wave.4.8000 - M.Hampton​

no hope to abandon

Thanks for the feedback on this work ... it did help

Doug Kerr

Hi, Mark,

Fascinating concept and project.

Could you tell us a little bit more about that.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Mark Hampton

Mark,

What's the difference between post #1 and post # 2? What help were you given.

Asher

Asher,

about 50 views :)

but i also put a couple of messages out to members - their feedback has been much appreciated.

this coupled with Dougs info on sensors pushes a couple of metophores into the mix that (like the work) I was grasping but were not concrete..

cheers

Mark Hampton

Hi, Mark,

Quote:

Could you tell us a little bit more about that.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug,

I will get these two made as canvas and work them - then put up the process - the idea is to make an object from the burn! - change the data (in some parts) and then make a flat image of the object (destroy the object) and release only the flat image.

cheers

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher,

about 50 views :)

but i also put a couple of messages out to members - their feedback has been much appreciated.

this coupled with Dougs info on sensors pushes a couple of metophores into the mix that (like the work) I was grasping but were not concrete..
Mark,

Unless the're confidential, it would be great to share the other contributing reactions and feedback so we get better understanding of how your work functions for a spectrum of different observers.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Mark,

Unless the're confidential, it would be great to share the other contributing reactions and feedback so we get better understanding of how your work functions for a spectrum of different observers.

Asher
Would they not have reacted publicly had they wished to do so? I think we cannot ask Mark to disclose his private correspondence no matter how generic the exchanges have been. Just my 0.02 Spanish Euros (which is not worth much right now). :)

Mark Hampton

Mark,

Asher

Asher,

I think the work functions in the same way for most observers - in through the eyes - and into the brain!

from there its thier work.

fahim mohammed

I am fascinated!! More so because of my ignorance and lack of comprehension.
In thru the eyes, the brain ( ? ), and ...

Regards.

Asher Kelman

I am fascinated!! More so because of my ignorance and lack of comprehension.
In thru the eyes, the brain ( ? ), and ...

Fahim,

In your pictures of the alps, no matter what speed good enough for hand-holding, your pictures show what you see and can remember. Same with portraits and street scenes, in fact more so.

With the waves coming in, it's all changing so fast that what we experience is the addition somehow of multiple impressions. So taking one image slow will blur the water to milkiness, a conceit that a lot of folk love and then taking at high speed gives sharp defined moments we never saw!

So here, the imagined water is being recreated from several high speed frames.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Mark,

I will get these two made as canvas and work them - then put up the process - the idea is to make an object from the burn! - change the data (in some parts) and then make a flat image of the object (destroy the object) and release only the flat image.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Mark,

As promised, here is a brief feedback. I am on holiday and I have to scrutinize this on the tiny screen of my mobile phone, so I may miss the mark all together but I will take that risk.

The images lack the usual elements of composition as per your design. Which is well done as it is about capturing that fleeting moment between dreaming and waking up. It reminds me the poem by E.A. Poe, a dream within a dream. I just need to put on the Alan Parson's Project song about it, listen to the voice of Orson Welles and study your artwork to reach that state of mind. Well done then.

Mike Shimwell

Mark

A quick question, because I am not quaified to criticise or comment! What is the purpose or reason for creating a physical object, photographing it and then destroying it, retaining the photographonly for sale/release? s though creating a piece of art and then destroying it to retain ony a facsimile?

Cheers

Mike

Mark Hampton

Mark

A quick question, because I am not quaified to criticise or comment! What is the purpose or reason for creating a physical object, photographing it and then destroying it, retaining the photographonly for sale/release? s though creating a piece of art and then destroying it to retain ony a facsimile?

Cheers

Mike

Getting prints done mike.. then answers.

Clem / Asher / Fahim - more understanding for I could not ask... bare with me..

I allow Mark to disclose the comment I gave, for what it's worth...
The more I see them, the more I love them.
Me too, I don't understand the destroying stage, but anyway, a photo is a photo.
a photo of an object of a photo is still a photo :)

Mark Hampton

So, Mark,

Is this the pre-destroying phase, the print thereafter or what? Help us out!

:)

Asher

Asher,

yes - pre destroyed. they are not stable as of yet - and still in the consideration stage - i guess proof of concept before the final print run and work making activity.

sorry I forgot that people can't really read my mind ! Although there is plenty of information in the thread as in a context.

i thought the thread could do with updating.

cheers

Mark Hampton

allscetchq.jpg

Wave.4.800 - Deka

16 works - 8 data samples of waves @ 1/8,000s - each image contains the data from 4 exposures -

this data is then manipulated to make an image that is as close to remembering a dream as I can.

the tantalising nature of trying to remember a dream whilst awake seems to me to be a physical sensation -

wave-like eletric

Tom dinning

Registrant*
16 works - 8 data samples of waves @ 1/8,000s - each image contains the data from 4 exposures -

this data is then manipulated to make an image that is as close to remembering a dream as I can.

the tantalising nature of trying to remember a dream whilst awake seems to me to be a physical sensation -

wave-like eletric[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I wish my dreams were as ...... I don't want to offend here so you can pick one of the following..... simple, well coordinated, well defined, esoteric, aethetic, repetitive, noteworthy, picturesque, abstract.... that should please you somewhere in there, Mark
Unfortunately I can't relate to such dreams. My experiences with the 'Evening of the Mind' is as vivid and prcise as a Superhero comic book. A clear consice story line with 'real' people and 'real' concepts in which I am usually involved in saving myself from a fate worse than death or falling in love once again with Kylie Minogue. The only way I could see my dreams 'on film' is to hire Steven Speilberg.

I like the images and I like the way you have displayed them but my experiences don't allow for anything else.
Peace be with you Brother - and sweet dreams.

Cheers
Tom

Mark Hampton

wave-like eletric[/COLOR]

I wish my dreams were as ...... I don't want to offend here so you can pick one of the following..... simple, well coordinated, well defined, esoteric, aethetic, repetitive, noteworthy, picturesque, abstract.... that should please you somewhere in there, Mark
Unfortunately I can't relate to such dreams. My experiences with the 'Evening of the Mind' is as vivid and prcise as a Superhero comic book. A clear consice story line with 'real' people and 'real' concepts in which I am usually involved in saving myself from a fate worse than death or falling in love once again with Kylie Minogue. The only way I could see my dreams 'on film' is to hire Steven Speilberg.

I like the images and I like the way you have displayed them but my experiences don't allow for anything else.

Cheers
Tom[/QUOTE]

Tom,

i guess I am with you in the same boat ... my dreams are nothing like this work...

*for me the work was about the feeling you get when trying to remember a dream ... my feelings don't look like the images I have made .... the wave crashing and its recording / structure are metaphors..

cheers

Asher Kelman

allscetchq.jpg

Wave.4.800 - Deka

wave-like eletric

What is "Deka"? There are 16 images so it has naught to do with deca, (10) or DECA.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*

Cheers
Tom

Tom,

i guess I am with you in the same boat ... my dreams are nothing like this work...

*for me the work was about the feeling you get when trying to remember a dream ... my feelings don't look like the images I have made .... the wave crashing and its recording / structure are metaphors..

cheers[/QUOTE]

There's probably a great discussion built in here that I would like to go further with but that would take us away from your images, so maybe another time. The main problem for me is that I haven't learnt to play the metaphor yet. I'm still working on the trumpet.
Maybe you can help, Mark. What you do here is interesting and aethetically pleasing but without your explanation it is meaningless (to me). I like looking at it and I often wonder if I could or should go down that path but when I do I end up with '**** on a stick'. (Is that a metaphor?).
Sowhy and if does your brain work this way? I'm glad to have met it and I think its a fine brain but I don't want it; I'm happy with mine, but I'm curious. Can anyone learn to think along these lines?

Mark Hampton

Tom

There's probably a great discussion built in here that I would like to go further with but that would take us away from your images, so maybe another time. The main problem for me is that I haven't learnt to play the metaphor yet. I'm still working on the trumpet.
Maybe you can help, Mark. What you do here is interesting and aethetically pleasing but without your explanation it is meaningless (to me). I like looking at it and I often wonder if I could or should go down that path but when I do I end up with '**** on a stick'. (Is that a metaphor?).
Sowhy and if does your brain work this way? I'm glad to have met it and I think its a fine brain but I don't want it; I'm happy with mine, but I'm curious. Can anyone learn to think along these lines?

I think the answer is in the work tom. If I wrote a book would you ask for a book that explains the book the I wrote?

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I've had a bit of a lie down Mark, and the headache is gone. Asher didn't turn up with the scones so I went along with your thoughts.
Let me get this right.
I'm creating an image that is a metapho for the way I remember a dream (or try to). How's that.
This is how ity works for me.
I have a feeling some shrink could attack both of us with a copy of Freud.

_DSC8036 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

Cheers
Tom

Mark Hampton

I've had a bit of a lie down Mark, and the headache is gone. Asher didn't turn up with the scones so I went along with your thoughts.
Let me get this right.
I'm creating an image that is a metapho for the way I remember a dream (or try to). How's that.
This is how ity works for me.
I have a feeling some shrink could attack both of us with a copy of Freud.

_DSC8036 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

Cheers
Tom

Tom,

sorry about the head ache.

I found a cracking quote that may help

“The best art is the most expensive because the market is so smart.”
Tobias Meyer, Sotheby’s Worldwide Head of Contemporary Art and chief auctioneer.

also listen to this

and pick up a bottle of this

stop burning the midnight oil from both ends.

I am glad you stepped up to the plate and laid your cards on the table - your picture works for me !

I hope the above helps - it works for me.

cheers