• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wave motions

Andy brown

DSC_1811%20wave%20motions%202%20P%20screen%20size_zpsh058flo7.jpg

DSC_1867%20wave%20motions%20screen%20size_zpsqqecywwo.jpg

DSC_1911%20copy%20BW%202%20%20pano%20screen%20size_zps5iqhldcx.jpg

DSC_1953%20p%20screen%20size_zpskj8mlvxg.jpg

Bloody seagulls kept getting in the way.

Antonio Correia

Great images. The one I like most is the first one. The general blue colors fits well the scene.
I also like the black and white with the two seagulls away from the rough sea. Note the sprayed water just above the waves. Very nice. :)

Any special care about the sprayed salted water ?

One of lecturers I invited for Project 33 Year I - 2016 has a couple of images of waves which I found to be quite interesting.

I found this to be José Carlos Nero's best image under the same matter:

Andy brown

Nice shots Andy, I esp. like the light and compression in the last one, but it seems to be tilted a bit left.

Hi Jim, thanks for the feedback.
I was struggling to find a reference point for the level in this shot, it does lean left, the sand is sloping back from a ridge and the water is flowing to the left. The ocean was moving too violently for a level so my reference point was the upright gull's posture and stance. I do agree now that it would benefit from a slight realignment so again, thanks for the input.

Andy brown

Great images. The one I like most is the first one. The general blue colors fits well the scene.
I also like the black and white with the two seagulls away from the rough sea. Note the sprayed water just above the waves. Very nice. :)

Any special care about the sprayed salted water ?

One of lecturers I invited for Project 33 Year I - 2016 has a couple of images of waves which I found to be quite interesting.

I found this to be José Carlos Nero's best image under the same matter:

Antonio, thanks so much for the feedback and the link to Jose's (sorry, can't find the accent) brilliant series.

Sprayed salt water.... avoid it. Days with offshore wind are best. My cameras though have all had to deal with salt water and none of my Nikons have ever had a problem, the bodies seem to handle it well but spray on the lens is hard to avoid and a problem when shooting, not much to do but be aware and careful.

Antonio Correia

Great. I like the sea very much. It is a dangerous, nice and attractive "area".

The human figure gives a scale to the scene. The sun behind make the green pop !

Nice series Andy ! :)

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Andy
They are some keepers there!
I especially like the last series and as Antonio the one with "someone" walking on the water ;)
Re your thoughts about salty sprays on lens, I have to deal with that every day for more than 20 years and it's no big deal…
The enemy is when the salt dries and may scratch the front lens…
Have fresh water spray, spray gently on the glass and then swipe with some soft fabric.
Then, shoot again!
I know an american camera man (film times) who had a system which pulsed compressed air permanently on the lens while shooting, but that was a heavy gear for film movie camera (Panavison)

Writing this, I realize that I never tried to get rid of salted sprays with canned air spray… hmm maybe a good idea!

Doug Kerr

Hi, Antonio,
But Nicolas... is canned air safely dried ?

The familiar "gas duster" cans do not contain compressed air but rather a fluorocarbon such as 1,1-difluoroethane, 1,1,1-trifluoroethane, or 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane.

The gas is at a low temperature immediately as it leaves the nozzle, and can cool the surface being "gassed" so that water vapor from the atmosphere will condense there. This prospect is reduced by shooting from a reasonable distance.

I think that the contents of these cans are themselves scrupulously free of entrained water, but I'm not sure.

Small canisters that can contain actual compressed air are available, but they provide much less "poof" than a similar-sized canister of hydrocarbon (about 1/10 the delivered gas volume). The are usually intended to be recharged from a small air compressor system. It is then the job of the air compressor system to "dry" the air, not an easy task.

Some of the above information is from the Wikipedia article on gas duster.​

Best regards,

Doug

Andy brown

[/QUOTE]

Antonio, this image (and series) was front and centre in my mind when I was shooting this morning.

DSC_3217%20p%20screen%20size_zpschasuyal.jpg

Amazing the similarities from 10,00 km's away

Great continuing series Andy. I esp. like the set from the 21st. Would love to see the surfer on the wave crest larger.

I felt the same way last month at Olympic National park on a stormy winter day. It was overcast though and tough shooting conditions. I'm just learning to use a new Tamron 150-600mm and the DOF and focus at 600 is very touchy so I didn't get many keepers, but had fun trying. This is my favorite, good thing I was shooting with my new A7rII - the high resolution came in handy so I could crop to the good stuff.

25176528659_2e0cc09eee_o.jpg

Rialto Beach​

Antonio Correia

Jim... this is gorgeous ! What an image !

Great work man !

The kind of work you have done on the image makes it look a bit like a painting.

At least in the lowers part of the image.

Good, good ! :)

Andy brown

Hi Jim, thanks for the encouragement, I certainly appreciate it.
Your image is fabulous and as Antonio suggests has a very painterly feel which I love.
Strangely the water in the background looks snowy like your mountain scenes.
I'm also impressed that it was on an overcast day; not necessarily when I'd go looking for ocean (I must remember to do it more).
Glad I'm not the only one struggling with focus on subject matter which doesn't keep still.
I got a bit close to the action yesterday, was getting up closer with my 85 mm lens and thought I was being clever in avoiding getting wet when I made the old error of being too involved in the image and forgetting my surroundings.
I got totally doused. Head to toe. I managed to keep the camera dry, just half a dozen drops of water on it and kept shooting for a couple more hours.

Antonio Correia

Nice. However, I like best without "land". Only water, foam, motions...

There is a lack of detail in the foam. Perhaps you can fix that...

:)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The green room.

DSC_3973%20p%20close%20crop%20screen%20size_zpsicpzqhqm.jpg

This is stunning! The contrast in colors are so surprising! I am so impressed with the shear physical prowess of the water crashing down!

Still, I wonder whether or not any of its impressiveness would be lost in monochrome? Would some life power and chaos be lost or would the disparate parts be better orchestrated so the mechanical forces of nature have no distractions from the seductive beauty of color

Asher

I agree with Asher, The Green Room is stunning. A crop into the green inside of the wave, with the blue forming the right border might also be powerful.

Andy brown

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll certainly take them all on.
This is already a tight crop. I believe the original might work best of all (I'll post it later if I get a chance - suddenly quite busy) as a large print with the 'green room' section of the image to keep inviting the viewer in closer.

This was a very quick edit, I was excited by the image and wanted to share it.

Antonio Correia

The idea of photographing the breaking waves with all the water in drops hanging in the air is just great.

Well done ! I do not know which is the best. I do like the first one very much !

:)

Antonio Correia

The light straight into the lens make the details in the shadows very difficult to get.
I am sure you have got some NDF to get the movement of the water. Both, the first and the last one have some kind of beautiful threatening movement...

I lieve in Setúbal which is a town situated in a river mouth with large influence from the sea.
I sometimes go to nearby places where the ocean is just in front.
Yesterday my wife and myself we went to Ericeira in the west coast of Portugal a bit to the North. Ericeira faces the sea.
My sun - who is a completely mad man about sea, waves, water and connected sports - was there to make some kite surf. I was in a hill nearby making some shots using the Pana GX7 with a Nikon 200mm f/4.0 from 1974, Metabones in between. All shots @ f/8 and 1/2000s 200 ISO. Manual focusing with focus picking.
I made many pictures but I spoiled also many of them. The wind was so strong that, even using a solid tripod I couldn't avoid some shaking even at that speed !

i-xbmgJTH-X2.jpg