• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: Breaking Trail

David J. Eves

Take the time.. .. get some ice, and fill this water hole, let it freeze, then bust it up (smaller)

home.jpg

People insist I am crazy, when I state that you can see, the curvature of the earth from out here. BUT, I have no way to prove this, except to say, when you look to your right and then look to your lets, it is obvous.
This image sorta shows, but you need that wide view (left to right) to really see this. I sure laughed one night recently, when watching the history channel, speed records, in Utah, out far on the salf flats, they said.. .. " it is so flat out here, you can actually see the curvature of the Earth !! (chuckle).

More additions to the tent area, lash up and connect the VHF radio, now we can communicate with other crews and home base, in the village.

antenna.jpg

Notice: the sleds, their position, it is critical, for when we have to evacuate the ice because of advancing ice. When it is time to killigvuk, everything is mass panic to get packed and get the hell out of here as quickly as possible, back to the safety of land. It is not a question of 'if' but a question of when !!

sleds.JPG

How many ? boats can you see ???

4BOATS.jpg

David J. Eves

Father & son portrait ! One of our young boyers !!

son.JPG

Look.. .. wait .. .. watch & listen - always be aware of the direction of the wind. Constantly, this is critical and most important, it can change, at any point in time.

EMPTY.JPG

Yawn ! good morning !! Morning pow-wow meeting, plans are made for the day, people spread out all over the ice, 37 whaling captains and their crews.

mpw.jpg

Just imagine the force needed to drive these huge chunks of ice upwards, the crashing noise they make as the ice advances towards your location, is a scary sight to see indeed, - killigvuk - run !!! I hope to get some videos of advancing ice, from a safe distance w/ sound! You will not believe this ice show !! Not unless you actually see and hear the grinding, crashing!

bigice.jpg

David J. Eves

It is getting messy, at places, we actually have to fill in these holes, chop ice, back to work, lots to do and acomplish to make this camp site safer.

waterholes.jpg

crew-watch.jpg

You get the best tan in your life out here, with all the reflections of ice all around you, it takes about 3 days !! Just on your face and hands !!

tan.jpg

Ducks by the dozen .. .. (chuckle) .. A duck was shot, it did a nose-dive straight down - @ a 45 degree angle, crash - right into a slab of ice, it stuck, the beak, embedded into the ice, the face torn, still moving- quivering, it was grabbed and neck snapped. That actually happend, you will just not beileve some of these storeis associated with duck hunting. side splitting laughter. We have some videos, hopefully tonight I can get these processed so that you can hear-from the natives- their stories!!

DBTD.jpg

David J. Eves

A very young boyer - in training - two years old !!
It doesn't take long, for a little child to learn simple things out here, especially when they are out here.. .. 24 / 7 for weeks !!

2yrsold.jpg

At least he does't have to chop wood & use 'sicpan' !!

Tent site or camp site
Those are two different locations, for each crew!
Two different sleds are needed just for sitting. One at the lead opening, the other up at the tent site.

lead2.jpg

This scene is timeless, ever changing, and never the same. FOOD is headed our way, we have to be out here, all set up - BEFORE they arrive.
Hundreds of people, embedded into the ice. waiting.. .. ..

Fredrick Brower - whaling captain for Eugene Browers crew - The Bomb maker, he also has a new nickname - Bomb proof ! Lots of accidents happen with these bombs. people always get hurt or loose something, Fredrick has had 3 bombs go off (over the years). you will listen on one of the video's of how he threw a bomb at the whale and it came flying right back into the boat, no one was hurt.

home3.jpg

lead2.jpg

David J. Eves

This scene is timeless, ever changing, and never the same. FOOD is headed our way, we have to be out here, all set up - BEFORE they arrive.
Hundreds of people, embedded into the ice. waiting.. .. ..

home3.jpg

harpoon-bomb.jpg

The shoulder gun bomb !! These things go for $1,000 bucks a shot I am told. That seems rather steep, but they are required by law to use these exploding harpoons, the Inupiaq do not like these, if you miss the vital spot on a whale, these things will not allow the whale to heal, as well as with the old style harpoons.

sgb.jpg

NOW... .. ... we are finally ready, believe it or not, we could be in this state (waiting) for weeks !!! sit and wait.. they will come ! All sorts of animals migrate through this lead, every year for many thousands of years, this just beats the heck out of standing in line.. in a grocery store!! When have you ever .. .. had this much fun.. .. shopping for food ?? (chuckle).

Zacharia.jpg

David J. Eves

The bottoms of clouds always show you the area, where open water exists.

clouds.jpg

Wait & watch - all day long - the major work - is finished. Time to hunt ! & rest !

ww.jpg

Excitement is in the air - anything can happen at any time now.. .. ..

ww2.jpg

and it did.. the harpoon bomb piece of wood somehow broke, Zacharia, is the only one who knows how to fix this. He is the oldest elder on this crew, He is down here on Eugenes crew for one reason - He knows the ice, much better than anyone else. These currents change, and not necessarly in the same direction as the wind, there is much to learn and understand - if he imparts that information, in an understanding manner for us to share.

broken.jpg

David J. Eves

Eugene Brower & The Eves boys a.k.a. Ma j i k I ma j e (Isaiah is missing) he is in Point Hope !
MarkAndrew (left) Jesse & Khris (right)

EugeneBrower.jpg

I am the 'baker' for this crew !! Naqachii (mix dough). Cheese, Onion, Jalepeno biscuits, That combo is their favorite, But Eugenes wife,said .. .. " I want you to make me some of those Onion biscuits that I have heard so much about. Hmmmmm.. yummy ! I love to make bread and just give most of it away, We do our best to make a lot of people happy, I (we) love to give !!
One of the greatest 'promises' I have ever read.. .. .. says these words.. (basically) (Malachi chapter 2) ... TEST ME .. Prove me wrong. Give... and I will give back 3 times, 5 times, pressed down, running over !!
I have been practicing this for over 50 years,, and ya know what ?? It always works !!!

Can you see the animal.. in this image ???

dux.jpg

sg.jpg

wot.jpg

David J. Eves

A frozen, white world of nothing but ice !!! In every direction for many miles !!
onward.jpg

The land of the midnight sun !!
sunset.jpg

We have to cut a trail from the tent to the lead, we have to move, we have to move more ice !!
Notice the polar bear mittens, 'crossed' behind his back to keep them in place until needed !!!
moving.jpg

umiaq2.jpg

I want you to notice, the massive amount of ice, that was removed to create this site here at the lead opening !!
Remove it all, and throw it into the ocean !!

David J. Eves

Look .. .. .. watch this .. ..

umiaq3.jpg

lead3.jpg

What a life.. .. this is just the most exciting time of the year.
Now we wait, watch, look, listen.. .. .. .. did you see that ??

camp2.jpg

All of the action, takes place.. .. at the lead ! This is our new home.

lead4.jpg

David J. Eves

We are going to sit here and wait, for weeks, for the animals to arrive. !! 24/7 right here, right now !

lead5.jpg

What next ? Captain ??

wnc.jpg

Rest, where you can, & when you can !!

rest2.jpg

The avatakpak (float) is covered up,(because) the color is red, that is the only color forbidden at the lead opening. No machines down here, quiet.

avatakpak.jpg

David J. Eves

These exploding harpoons require a lot of work and great care.

harpoon.jpg

Last October, during fall whaling, two of these exploding bombs, went off, even though the safety was on. Lucky no one on the metal boat got hurt.

harpoon2.jpg

Calling home - " can you hear me now " ?

call-home.jpg

sit.jpg

What a view.. .. waiting.. .. for food !!

David J. Eves

Can I drive ??

canidrive.jpg

SITNWAIT.jpg

I am currently working as fast as possible HERE

Thank You all.. .. so much.. .. for taking the time !!!

Train up a child .. .. in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it! .. .. .. 'book' of Proverbs !!

teach.jpg

Lets play a game .. .. can you think or imagine what this is here for ??? what does it mean ???

cross2.jpg

David J. Eves

The reason for this is; that it is.. "your grave" meaning (anyone who goes near this spot). it is very thin, dangerously so. It is a warning in the simplest of terms. stay away !
This ice is 'tested' constantly by people walking around with 'pokes'. and this is just way to thin, stay away, notice the high marker ?? so it can be seen.. from great distances.
I dare speak the truth when I say, anyone can go down to the road on land and step out onto that ice. The only way to get out to any of the camp sites, you must be a member of a crew. People can't just jump on their machines and arrive and say hi ! Unless you are invited or have participated with that crew.

Behold the magnificent beauty and freedom of the Arctic !!

behold.jpg

No noise, no crowds or pests or bugs !! Incredible freedom that you loose, as soon as you enter the village, you can FEEL IT , the sudden loss.

behold2.jpg

Lets go hunting.. .. ..

hunt.jpg

ICE.jpg

David J. Eves

A shelter ( of sorts). It is marked with a flag, (red) when occupied !!

Our area was too flat, so the crew decided to build a shelter to get out of the wind - when necessary !!

MENSROOM.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks for popping your head in! What season is it as to hunting?

I am so pleased we will be able to catch up? BTW, do you folk use solar panels for power?

Wondering whether it is common or just not enough to be practical?

Asher

David J. Eves

Hunting season? That is year round non-stop

But we are getting into the "darkest days" of the year;

The shortest days of the year, There is light every day, "dusk" for about less than 2 hours.

that happens on the shortest day of the year, Dec 21st It won't get dusk until about noon time

if your outside you can read a newspaper barely -and in less than 2 hours back to total darkness then the days get longer, but it takes a few weeks to notice it and it rapidly accelerates

Why would one consider using solar panels in the Arctic . ?

In Anchorage and Fairbanks some homes and buisness have them.

Kotzebue is the place to use them because the electricity is so darn expensive - but with darkness - longer than light -@ this time of the year - It would not be practical for anything worth while.

There's always caribou around somewhere for meat, fish, seals and more.

but this is the time of year to lay back - kick back and enjoy being warm and toasty.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Dave,

Do you still have a camera? Have you closed your "wet" chemical darkroom? We have had no pictures for the past 6 years! Is there still snow there or has it all melted.

BTW, has anyone up there heard of Donald Trump or the other fellow with bilateral ptosis?

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
G'day, Dave.
I like ice in my whisky. Seems like you have enough to spare.

Warm and toasty! You're pulling my Aussie leg, right.

I live as close to the equator as you do to the pointy bit of the earth and I'll give you warm and toasty if you want.

Seems like a wild a woolly place in which you live. More fur than a cat's throat.

Asher drew my attention to the thread. Thanks for that Ash, although I did hear the word 'Eskimo'.
Is that politically correct?

We have thinks here in Oz we call 'Eskies'. We keep our beer cold in them. Although it wouldn't sound right to call it an 'Inuit', it always seemed a good idea to store beer in an Esky.
Please forgive our Aussie ways, Dave. We're a bit rough down here. Frontier country, like yours. Ash permits my presence for the 'X' factor he seems to think the site needs.
I can see you also have your own version of the 'X' factor: frozen as it may be.

I will continue to follow with interest.

Tom

David J. Eves

Dave,

Do you still have a camera? Have you closed your "wet" chemical darkroom? We have had no pictures for the past 6 years! Is there still snow there or has it all melted.

BTW, has anyone up there heard of Donald Trump or the other fellow with bilateral ptosis?

Asher

Donald Trump is going to win the nomination for Republican party

But I seriously doubt we will have elections - Obama is going to suspend the elections. So he can fix what is wrong with America, He won't leave office until this country is totally destroyed.

He claims he is a christian but he surrounds himself with Moslem cabinet members and czars that hate the United States.

David J. Eves

Wonderful.

We want to go there!

I seriously doubt you would be able to handle 50 below zero for more than 15 minutes

Have you ever been outside for any considerable length of time @ minus 50 below zero ???

Once you are out there on the ocean ice pack. There is no place to go to warm up.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Dave,

In any case, thanks so much for that wonderful photographic and verbal essay a few years ago, recently bumped to our attention.

I look forward to seeing further work from you.

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

Inspiring photography and an equally inspiring journey.

Now to your assertion of serious doubt that we would be able to handle 50 below zero for more than 15 minutes.

No, we can't. Not now.

But if asked 15/20 years ago....that would have been very different.

I am sure, it would have been different.

Why would I be this certain?

You see David, I too like inspiring photos and inspiring journeys.

And if you could it, I am certain...me and my wife could too. We have a long history of answering
the question..' Traveler, do you have. What it takes '.

You can do it, I could have too with certainty.
But it is a mute journey for me to undertake at my age and condition.

Thanks for sharing you journey and your thoughts.

I seriously doubt you would be able to handle 50 below zero for more than 15 minutes

Have you ever been outside for any considerable length of time @ minus 50 below zero ???

Once you are out there on the ocean ice pack. There is no place to go to warm up.

fahim mohammed

David, not withstanding my interest in your journey and diary, would you please care to expound your statement with some relevant and confirmed references.

And what is this all about ' Moslem cabinet '?

Donald Trump is going to win the nomination for Republican party

But I seriously doubt we will have elections - Obama is going to suspend the elections. So he can fix what is wrong with America, He won't leave office until this country is totally destroyed.

He claims he is a christian but he surrounds himself with Moslem cabinet members and czars that hate the United States.

Doug Kerr

My lack of reading retention is getting to be rather a bother. Just the other morning, I wanted to mention to Carla a matter I had learned of in Typographical Printing Surfaces, by Legros and Grant.

I had a terrible time bringing all the details to mind - took almost ten minutes before I had it all in hand.

And it wasn't all that long ago that I read that. I think it must have been in about 1965.

Best regards,

Doug