• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

D700 replacement!

I'm afraid that would be difficult TTEFKADAK since one of the pseudonyms, err, real names used here is banned at DPR for trolling.
Ohhh that was me! ...I am very proud of that! ...never changed my name though! ...and I had mods proven to be trolls and even force them to remove my comments! Thanks for spotting Cem... How come and you know this? ...I never spotted "Cem Usakligil" in DPR members.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Thedoros,
Ohhh that was me! ...I am very proud of that! ...never changed my name though! ...and I had mods proven to be trolls and even force them to remove my comments! Thanks for spotting Cem... How come and you know this? ...I never spotted "Cem Usakligil" in DPR members.

He is registered there as Kemal Atatürk.

Best regards,

Ghengis Khan, III

Hi, Thedoros,

He is registered there as Kemal Atatürk.

Best regards,

Ghengis Khan, III
You really have to decide on your Origin Ghengis... Asian, French, American, ...what's wrong with African? ...how about Nelson next time? ...and what's that with scientists and soldiers? ...what's wrong with musicians? ...How about "Fella Anikullapo Kutti"? ...he married more than 20 wives, all the same day! ...you'd love that ...no? ...check it out! ...it's true!

Doug Kerr

Hi, Theodoros,

A while ago in this thread (while we were still speaking of an expected new but not yet named camera from The Japan Optical Corporation, Asher asked:

What are the imagined advantages of such a camera? Can you explain to a Canon user, how this new body moves Nikon photography forward?​

You gave an extended discussion of what the new camera means to you. Would I be correct to synopsize your thoughts, in the frame of reference of Asher's question, thus:

• The new camera gives us the well respected sensor of the Nikon D4, which you feel offers the best overall image quality and performance in many respects of any digital SLR available today.

• The new camera promises a straightforward, "minimalist" user interface, attuned to the practices of experienced "traditional" photographers, unburdened by the need to support rarely-needed features, in the same vein as does the Nikon D700 but even more so.

• These advantages cannot be comprehended by Canon users.

Please straighten me out if and where I went wrong.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi, Theodoros,

A while ago in this thread (while we were still speaking of an expected new but not yet named camera from The Japan Optical Corporation, Asher asked:

What are the imagined advantages of such a camera? Can you explain to a Canon user, how this new body moves Nikon photography forward?​

You gave an extended discussion of what the new camera means to you. Would I be correct to synopsize your thoughts, in the frame of reference of Asher's question, thus:

• The new camera gives us the well respected sensor of the Nikon D4, which you feel offers the best overall image quality and performance in many respects of any digital SLR available today.

• The new camera promises a straightforward, "minimalist" user interface, attuned to the practices of experienced "traditional" photographers, unburdened by the need to support rarely-needed features, in the same vein as does the Nikon D700 but even more so.

• These advantages cannot be comprehended by Canon users.

Please straighten me out if and where I went wrong.

Best regards,

Doug
It is accurate as being my opinion for the first two of your points Doug, but not for the third... I never said (or meant) "cannot" for Canon users... I said (and meant) that Canon never had such a design approach on cameras and thus, traditional Canon users are not as familiar with that kind of cameras.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Theodoros,

You really have to decide on your Origin Ghengis... Asian, French, American, ...what's wrong with African?

Oh I am so confused by the mixing of nations and continents. Did you mean to leave out Cincinnati?

How about "Fella Anikullapo Kutti"?
Not his real name. We can't have that here (as you've heard from another Scot).

...he married more than 20 wives, all the same day! ...you'd love that ...no? ...check it out! ...it's true!
Most sources say it was 27.

"I can't understand why I failed - it went so well at the rehearsal."

20 of them, as photographed by Matussière eight years later, are all stunningly beautiful.

One of my favorites:

db_felaqueen31.jpg

Looks like a well-grounded girl.

Best regards,

Olufela Olusegun Oludotun Ransome-Kuti

Doug Kerr

Hi, Theodoros,

It is accurate as being my opinion for the first two of your points Doug, but not for the third... I never said (or meant) "cannot" for Canon users... I said (and meant) that Canon never had such a design approach on cameras and thus, traditional Canon users are not as familiar with that kind of cameras.
Ah, of course.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I still want to know if it comes in red.
You should come to Aus, Theo. There is a culture here for bettering the next bloke. We do it with cars, states, capital cities, BBQs, women (yeah, I know, very sexist) and dogs. We have a special one in Darwin for drinking.
In addition to that we'd probably give you a name that would stick in spite of any protest from you. In fact the bigger the protest the more it sticks. Our favourite passtime is slicing the heads off tall poppies.

I still want to know if it comes in red.
You should come to Aus, Theo. There is a culture here for bettering the next bloke. We do it with cars, states, capital cities, BBQs, women (yeah, I know, very sexist) and dogs. We have a special one in Darwin for drinking.
In addition to that we'd probably give you a name that would stick in spite of any protest from you. In fact the bigger the protest the more it sticks. Our favourite passtime is slicing the heads off tall poppies.
Please correct me if I understood your logic wrong Tom... You say: "In Darwin Aus, everybody is trying to be "taller" than the others (you call this your culture), then you get drunk (by trying to prove that you can withstand drinking better than your next...) and when you rest from trying all this, you are trying to make the "taller" ones look shorter... is that it? ...and all this should be a reason for me to come in Aus. in your opinion?
I've been to Aus Tom (in fact I let you know on the exact date I'll be there again next July for a project of mine - it will be in Adelaide, the opposite side of Darwin I believe...) and my impression of the culture there, is different than the (non very logical) one of yours, (I don't see how people can have a preference on becoming taller and shorter at the same time). OTOH, NR doesn't mention red..., but you better check with the dealers in Darwin... you never know!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Please correct me if I understood your logic wrong Tom... You say:..........

Theodoros,

Aussies don't have to be logical, that's the job of the traits of Greeks, Romans, Talmudic Scholars and the Philosophers of Germany and England especially. OTOH, Australians thrive at being whimsical, brash, friendly, ready to share a beer and a tale. Tom is part of this, although at the most Northern fringes where, perhaps there wasn't enough Artistotelian logic to reach everyone. They make it up in a harsh brand of depreciating humor! The more insulted you feel, the more the fellow likes you! Still, don't feel entirely safe and that's the paradox. They want to have everyone on edge so they can survive the desert, droughts, wildfires and sexually mature marsupials!

Asher

Theodoros,

Aussies don't have to be logical, that's the job of the traits of Greeks, Romans, Talmudic Scholars and the Philosophers of Germany and England especially. OTOH, Australians thrive at being whimsical, brash, friendly, ready to share a beer and a tale. Tom is part of this, although at the most Northern fringes where, perhaps there wasn't enough Artistotelian logic to reach everyone. They make it up in a harsh brand of depreciating humor! The more insulted you feel, the more the fellow likes you! Still, don't feel entirely safe and that's the paradox. They want to have everyone on edge so they can survive the desert, droughts, wildfires and sexually mature marsupials!

Asher
What all this has to do with discussing a new product (not a rumour) that may prove to be of major importance Asher?

Anyway... It seems that the specs of the product are a "well kept secret"... NR posted today an alternative spec list (from a different source they say), on which the common base with the previous one is that the sensor will be the one of the D4...
This spec list, claims that the sensor will have no AA filter... and that the name will be D4H at a 3K price!
I guess, (if it is true) that the name puts a "pro prestige and expectations" on the camera and that the absence of AA filter will further increase the (already superb) D4 resolution and micro contrast at base ISO to the limit of FF sensors...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This spec list, claims that the sensor will have no AA filter... and that the name will be D4H at a 3K price!
I guess, (if it is true) that the name puts a "pro prestige and expectations" on the camera and that the absence of AA filter will further increase the (already superb) D4 resolution and micro contrast at base ISO to the limit of FF sensors...

I'm looking forward to the new D700 replacement and hope it will be weather sealed and much lighter. I'd seriously consider one just for the superb 14-24 wide angle zoom, which seems stellar.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Ah! The Greek logic. Now there's the thing.
Theo, you will be most welcome in Adelaide. Drink some fine Oz wine from the Barrosa Valley, eat a hearty pie with sauce, and find a good looking Sheila to bonk. See, we do have culture. We can drink wine with the best of them. Straight from the cask, even.
You got it right, Theo. we encourage aspiration but when you get there we cut you down like wheat in a paddock. We are a classless society yet we recognize and dispose those who deem themselves classy. We ridicule people and expect them to laugh. When they do we call them pretentious pricks. You'll never know when we are serious and if you try getting serious with us we tell you you're a wanker so go **** yourself. It's all as a result of living upside down, they say. Anyway, keep it in mind when you come here. Deep down inside where we live we are pretty decent people ( for ex-convicts).
As for conversations losing direction. Get used to it. Any conversation is fare game to be turned around and pointed in another direction. My wife comes from a foreign land. She still can't understand how we all talk at once about anything at all and every conversation finishes in what appears as a fight. The we separate and the next day we are all the best of friends again patting each other on the back for having such a wonderful evening together.
Finally, a bit of trivia. Darwin has the highest % of Greeks living here than any place outside Greece itself. Of the 8 immediate neighbours I have 6 are from Kalimnos. Our sister city is in Greece somewhere. We celebrate everything Greek. Come and visit. You'll feel right at home.

I checked the camera store in town. They said " no red".

Suggestion. Change your name when you meet people socially. They will talk about you when you've gone. Most of them will abbreviate it to something like Dora, Theo, Fotsy or WTF.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Theodoros,

Yes, I recall when we reached the limit of digital transmission over a switched PSTN telephone connection.

2400 b/sec.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi, Jake,

You have concluded that a 43 mm sensor is the ideal size for your work? Is that influenced by the lenses in your arsenal, or does it come from something more fundamental - some kind of "sweet spot" as we balance camera size and weight against various image quality properties?

Or is it just the largest sensor size for which, from today's point of view, we could imagine a body for less than USD1000 in the foreseeable future?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Please give me an affordable, sub $1,000 8x10, digital back please!

Ah! The Greek logic. Now there's the thing.
Theo, you will be most welcome in Adelaide. Drink some fine Oz wine from the Barrosa Valley, eat a hearty pie with sauce, and find a good looking Sheila to bonk. See, we do have culture. We can drink wine with the best of them. Straight from the cask, even.
You got it right, Theo. we encourage aspiration but when you get there we cut you down like wheat in a paddock. We are a classless society yet we recognize and dispose those who deem themselves classy. We ridicule people and expect them to laugh. When they do we call them pretentious pricks. You'll never know when we are serious and if you try getting serious with us we tell you you're a wanker so go **** yourself. It's all as a result of living upside down, they say. Anyway, keep it in mind when you come here. Deep down inside where we live we are pretty decent people ( for ex-convicts).
As for conversations losing direction. Get used to it. Any conversation is fare game to be turned around and pointed in another direction. My wife comes from a foreign land. She still can't understand how we all talk at once about anything at all and every conversation finishes in what appears as a fight. The we separate and the next day we are all the best of friends again patting each other on the back for having such a wonderful evening together.
Finally, a bit of trivia. Darwin has the highest % of Greeks living here than any place outside Greece itself. Of the 8 immediate neighbours I have 6 are from Kalimnos. Our sister city is in Greece somewhere. We celebrate everything Greek. Come and visit. You'll feel right at home.

I checked the camera store in town. They said " no red".

Suggestion. Change your name when you meet people socially. They will talk about you when you've gone. Most of them will abbreviate it to something like Dora, Theo, Fotsy or WTF.
You can always call me Theo Tom... Fotometria is the name I choose for my studio (as people choose names in business trying to communicate best their work) when we started the research with painting reproduction and had to build our own profiles beyond what was available from profiles scientific information... Because the research for solutions went well, people "stuck" it to me, (in return to my 14 letters Surname) much as you stick names among each other when around some bottle of fine wine... Now, I am known with it, so it stays... Theo is still welcome by anybody, but you can't expect me to restart what is the result of my work as others appreciate it... Of course you didn't know that it was "stuck" to me without me having a choice.... which does explain your reaction. But I have to say... if you "google" "art reproduction" in Greece , "fotometria.gr" comes out first without me ever paying for advertisement, so ...it stays!

Doug Kerr

Hi, Theo,

I like your adopted surname. It is a noble discipline, about which I often write.

χρωματομετρία would have been good, too.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi, Theodoros,

Yes, I recall when we reached the limit of digital transmission over a switched PSTN telephone connection.

2400 b/sec.

Best regards,

Doug
By the way Doug... The best Multishot back I've ever come around is the older version of the Sinar 54H which had a fiber optical output (than the later firewire one) it was surely a PIN to use with all that conections involved and it did work only with G4 (and G5 with the appropriate PCI boards fitted) but there was a (just) noticeable difference with both the later version or my (identical sensor and technology) Imacon 528c... why (IYO and perhaps transmit knowledge) was that? ...if the (slower) data transfer with firewire is sufficient for the adaptation of it, performance should be the same... is there a chance that there is some "contamination" with firewire and (if there is) how can it be explained scientifically?

Please give me an affordable, sub $1,000 8x10, digital back please!

There is no lens that can satisfy such a back Jake (even if it ever existed)... believe me! You are (more) than better off if you choose 2x3 and digital with a small image circle lens, or (if you deal with still scenes or landscapes) to choose 4x5 image area and an inexpensive Chinese back fit that offers "automatic stitching positions" to cover the whole area... Try an inexpensive Fuji GX680 with a S/H older back of 36x48mm image area or more... you'll be surprised with how close the results can be to film 8x10 or digital 2x3 cameras with "digital lenses"... It seems that GX680 lenses where very close to what we now call "digital" view camera lenses! ...may be because of the "tighter" image circle, but it is the cheapest way to achieve impressive quality.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
You can always call me Theo Tom... Fotometria is the name I choose for my studio (as people choose names in business trying to communicate best their work) when we started the research with painting reproduction and had to build our own profiles beyond what was available from profiles scientific information... Because the research for solutions went well, people "stuck" it to me, (in return to my 14 letters Surname) much as you stick names among each other when around some bottle of fine wine... Now, I am known with it, so it stays... Theo is still welcome by anybody, but you can't expect me to restart what is the result of my work as others appreciate it... Of course you didn't know that it was "stuck" to me without me having a choice.... which does explain your reaction. But I have to say... if you "google" "art reproduction" in Greece , "fotometria.gr" comes out first without me ever paying for advertisement, so ...it stays!

I wasn't having a dig at you name, Theo. you can call yourself what you like. That becomes quite irrelevant in the Australian culture. People will call you what they think fits at the time. I was called Brutus until I was past my teens. Mate is always a goer but it doesn't always mean 'friend'. It's all in the tone of the voice. More mature women will call you Sweety, Darls, Honey, Dear, young women might call you Dad, Gramps or Old Fart, your best mate can call you a PRICK, DICKHEAD or WANKER and you just need to wear it. There's a habit of abbreviating names and adding a vowel at the end like Kelman to Kelsy or Usakligil to Kliggy. Sometimes the name is extended for no reason at all, like Smith to Smithy.
See! There's no logic in the antipodes. We're all un cultured criminals with no respect for anyone but ourselves.
And if you don't shout at the bar your socially dead in the water.

I wasn't having a dig at you name, Theo. you can call yourself what you like. That becomes quite irrelevant in the Australian culture. People will call you what they think fits at the time. I was called Brutus until I was past my teens. Mate is always a goer but it doesn't always mean 'friend'. It's all in the tone of the voice. More mature women will call you Sweety, Darls, Honey, Dear, young women might call you Dad, Gramps or Old Fart, your best mate can call you a PRICK, DICKHEAD or WANKER and you just need to wear it. There's a habit of abbreviating names and adding a vowel at the end like Kelman to Kelsy or Usakligil to Kliggy. Sometimes the name is extended for no reason at all, like Smith to Smithy.
See! There's no logic in the antipodes. We're all un cultured criminals with no respect for anyone but ourselves.
And if you don't shout at the bar your socially dead in the water.

Lets go back to the subject, shall we Tom?

NR just posted a fresh official video teaser for the new camera, published by Nikon... It shows a man visualising in front of a beautiful landscape scene, then setting the desired aperture and then the shutter without ever checking the light meter (obviously by moving dials) and then they let the sound of the shutter to be heart... I (obviously) like this tendency of makers to go "back to the roots"...I believe it may help photography gaining back its artistic prestige.

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/24/first-nikon-retro-camera-teaser-its-in-my-hands-again.aspx/

Tom dinning

Registrant*

NR just posted a fresh official video teaser for the new camera, published by Nikon... It shows a man visualising in front of a beautiful landscape scene, then setting the desired aperture and then the shutter without ever checking the light meter (obviously by moving dials) and then they let the sound of the shutter to be heart... I (obviously) like this tendency of makers to go "back to the roots"...I believe it may help photography gaining back its artistic prestige.

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/24/first-nikon-retro-camera-teaser-its-in-my-hands-again.aspx/

Who died and left you in charge, Theo? I was trying to bring some life into the thread based on the idea that something that has happened is far more interesting than that which might happen, or hasn't happened yet.
You go back to your predicting. I'll go on with what I have. Gee! There might even be a moral in there somewhere.
Let me know when they have a red one.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Theo,

NR just posted a fresh official video teaser for the new camera, published by Nikon... It shows a man visualising in front of a beautiful landscape scene, then setting the desired aperture and then the shutter without ever checking the light meter (obviously by moving dials) . .

Not sure I follow that. Are we saying that real photographers don't need no stinkin' exposure metering (Δεν φωτομετρία)?

[quote[ and then they let the sound of the shutter to be heart... I (obviously) like this tendency of makers to go "back to the roots"...I believe it may help photography gaining back its artistic prestige.

I sure hope that the shutter can be wound with one stroke of the lever and not two.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Theo,

NR just posted a fresh official video teaser for the new camera, published by Nikon... It shows a man . . . then setting the desired aperture and then the shutter . .

You have better eyes than I, old friend.

I think what he was probably setting was the volume of the simulated shutter sound.

The picture of the flash shoe was really exciting (like a glimpse of a lady's thigh on the subway).

Tomorrow for the true voyeurs: One of the neckstrap eyes (only one though).

Best regards,

Doug

Cem_Usakligil

Hi, Theo,

I sure hope that the shutter can be wound with one stroke of the lever and not two.

Best regards,

Doug
Wow, I'm very, very excited and hope that it is wound with one stroke of the lever. That would be the best camera, ever! But if it is two strokes, it will fail miserably. People will take out their torches and pitchforks to chase the idiots who have designed it.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

Wow, I'm very, very excited and hope that it is wound with one stroke of the lever. That would be the best camera, ever! But if it is two strokes, it will fail miserably. People will take out their torches and pitchforks to chase the idiots who have designed it.

And it is absolutely true, beyond a shadow of a doubt, accepted by all right-thinking people, being loyal citizens of their own nations, and recorded as such in the Big Book of Truth, that the best winding lever of all time (on cameras, at least) was that of the Yashica Lynx 5000. The thought of giving that a wind produces an absolute frisson in all camera enthusiasts (except of course those who died before the Lynx 5000 was introduced).

Note to the recording secretary: Alexander Graham Bell died and left me in charge of winding levers.

Note to the winding secretary: I am soo jealous!

Best regards,

Doug

Hi, Theo,

You have better eyes than I, old friend.

I think what he was probably setting was the volume of the simulated shutter sound.

The picture of the flash shoe was really exciting (like a glimpse of a lady's thigh on the subway).

Tomorrow for the true voyeurs: One of the neckstrap eyes (only one though).

Best regards,

Doug
I am also passioned with old straps mate, I have a selection of 8 ultra thin AN-4s, ..6 AN-4B (B=black) and 2 AN-4W (W=wine - it was for the F3) from the early 80s and whenever I have a new camera, the strap never comes out of the box... I only use the AN-4s. They are even thinner than the one shown in the video...