• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Planet Earth Collection:Your Best Landscape, River or Ocean and Major Land Features!

Roger Lambert

Here is a snowscape from Vermont, so we can enjoy the Autumn weather :D

41450976.jpg

Mary Bull

Roger Lambert said:
Here is a snowscape from Vermont, so we can enjoy the Autumn weather :D
< beautiful image reluctantly deleted by Mary to save thread space >
Oh, yes, Roger--with a high temperature back up in the 80s here in Middle Tennessee today, and lush green everywhere I turn my eye, this is a very welcome picture.

How fine your use of the two lines of fence posts is, and the trees with their coalesced blue shadow, the sense of undulation in the snowy drifts, the trees near the lingering gray that marks the horizon, and over everything the clouds and the sky, at the very top, as blue as any October could paint it.

October's bright blue weather.*

Mary

*Last line courtesy of poet Helen Hunt Jackson

Roger Lambert

Wow - thank you Mary. :)

Come around February, I will not be so happy to see snow anymore, though, I can promise you! :D

It seems the older I get, the longer Winter lasts. :)

Best regards,

Roger

Mary Bull

JimCollum said:
< image deleted by Mary to conserve thread space >
Bandon Beach, Or.
This is wonderful, Jim. I saw similar sea stacks off the coast of Oregon and also of Northern California, when we drove along a coast road near Gold Beach, OR. This was when we visited my aunt in 1989, my one trip to the U.S. Pacific coast.
Ice Flow #2, Portage Glacier, Alaska
< image deleted by Mary, to conserve thread space >
Equally magnificent!

Thank you so very much for these. Both are great to wake up to, on a potentially stormy day here in Tennessee.

Mary

Erik DeBill

This was somewhat depressing. I thought I had more good landscape pictures than this.

6643-long_trail_walker_blur.800x600.jpg

Late evening pause
Barton Creek Greenbelt, Austin, TX

261-6165-waterfall.800x600.jpg

Hidden falls
Pedernales Falls State Park, TX

313-1398-rocks_trees_streambed.800x600.jpg

Rocks, Trees, Streambed

Mary Bull

Erik DeBill said:
This was somewhat depressing. I thought I had more good landscape pictures than this.
These are most enjoyable, though, Erik. I'm particularly drawn to the second picture, "Hidden falls."
[
Late evening pause
Indeed, a pause is a nice way into the picture. Appeals to me particularly, since my mother lived in Austin for some years, as a child. But, to my sorrow, I haven't been there since I flew Southwest into the airport, on my way up to Belton for a college class reunion, in 1987.

The person so far down the path under the trees makes me want to follow him.
Hidden falls
Pedernales Falls State Park, TX
I love this one. It's magic.
Rocks, Trees, Streambed
Not the easiest hiking, huh?

Mary

Last edited:

Ron Morse

I don't do much with landscapes but since so many are showing water I thought that I would throw these in.

Taken about a year ago at Acadia Nat. park in Bar Harbor, Maine late in the day just as daylight was failing.

mg65231ul8.jpg

mg652501qf2.jpg

Joe Russo

Lower Falls Rainbow

Here is a photograph I took at the base of Lower Falls in Yellowstone National Park back in 2003.

I hope you enjoy it.

original.jpg

Mary Bull

Joe, are you selling prints of this?

I love it! The dramatic contrast of the bare trees and the rainbow--so much instant visual impact and so much potential symbolism in the image.

Mary

Joe Russo

Mary,

I've not sold any prints of this photograph. It is not because I don't think it would sell (it happens to be one of my favorites) but simply because I have not marketed it. At this point I have no idea of what to charge for a print of this. That is one of the thing I hope to learn about and get better at based on the experience and knowledge of the people in these forums.

Thanks for the kind words.

Mary Bull

Well, I'll wait until you know more.

But at some point I would really like to hang a small framed print of this--say around 8x10 inches--on my wall.

Mary

DLibrach

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted much here, but here is my contribution to the challenge....

Cheers,
Dave

70564448-L-9.jpg

Taken at Hell's Gate Waterfalls in the Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia (Canada)

David Robertson

What a great thread!

Here's my contribution, taken a few week ago. A simple combination of two exposures.

Dunstanburgh Castle, Northumberland, England. (Taken on one of my rare trips south of the border).

B1005029.jpg

Regards

Dave

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Dave,

This is wonderful! Sunrise or sunset? How taken: camera & settings?

I love the pools of water. I guess that means it was sunrise and the tide had just gone out?

Is there more? There's enough interest in this picture from this perspective that one can have a wider picture and various representations.

Did you take this in RAW?

Anyway it is a magnificent and awe inspiring site. How long was it like this?

Asher

Asher Kelman

That is beautiful! I love it. You might have forgotten that we already have it on the front page and we have one picture deidicated in homage to this picture. I'm going to have to lock up your Bordeaux!

You now must give us something new!!

Asher

David Robertson

Asher Kelman said:
Hi Dave,

This is wonderful! Sunrise or sunset? How taken: camera & settings?

I love the pools of water. I guess that means it was sunrise and the tide had just gone out?

Is there more? There's enough interest in this picture from this perspective that one can have a wider picture and various representations.

Did you take this in RAW?

Anyway it is a magnificent and awe inspiring site. How long was it like this?

Asher

Thanks Asher. You are right - sunrise with receeding tide. I settled on just the one composition, taking a series of images over 30 minutes or so. This was one of the last ones.

I always shoot in RAW (come to think of it, I have never shot a jpg). Canon 1Ds, 24-70mm @ 24mm. F22, 2.5secs for the beach and 2 stops less for the sky. Developed in LR.

If the tide is high the tide washes over an amazing beach of round boulders just a bit further along. It makes an amazing foreground to the ruined castle - its an image on my "to do" list.

Kind regards

Dave

Alain Briot

pro member
About The Image: Spiderock in Snowstorm
Spiderock-Snowstorm-CP2.jpg

This photograph was created when I lived in Chinle, at the mouth of Canyon de Chelly, on the Navajo reservation. A snowstorm had fell over the canyon the night before, and continued on in the morning. In the Southwest, especially in this period of drought (Arizona is on the 9th year of a drought), snow is uncommon, especially heavy snowstorms. I knew the opportunity was unique and could not be missed. I immediately got in my truck and drove towards Spiderock knowing that this location, being at the highest elevation in Canyon de Chelly, was getting the most snow.

The drive there was treacherous. The snow had frozen on the road during the night. The road had not been plowed and would not be plowed. It would get better when the snow melted. My truck did not have four wheel drive and I had to be extremely cautious. I nearly lost control on several occasions.

At Spiderock I set off to photograph in conditions which were nearly blizzard-like. I had to wait between gusts of wind-loaded snow to see what I was photographing. The snow was wet and heavy and clung to my clothing, soaking it.

The difficulty I had seeing Spiderock and Canyon de Chelly made me realize that on film it would be even harder to see the subject. With this awareness in mind I started looking for a foreground subject which would add contrast to the scene. I tried using different shrubs, trees and rock, but each of these elements was below me, and therefore could only fill the bottom part of the image. The sky remained empty and white.

I finally remembered a dead pine tree which I had often contemplated using as a foreground element but had not used so far. In this snowstorm it proved to be perfect. I placed myself and my camera so the tree would be above Spiderock, both framing it and filling the sky with its branches. I had to crawl in the snow to get low enough to create this composition.

I loved the resulting image so much that I returned to Spiderock and composed other photographs with this same tree. However, none has the balance, the softness and the intensity of my original vision. In 2000, during one more visit to Spiderock, I noticed the tree was gone. It had either fallen into Canyon de Chelly or had been hauled away to warm a Navajo Hogan. Either way my photograph was now a historical image, one that neither myself or anyone else could duplicate.

I would like to contribute a few. Hope these qualify

#1 What is a landscape? Does this qualify? Looks likes a travel snap of Plaza San Marco, but not many have this angle... (Canon D60 + 16-35L)
1328rsp_veniceATdawn_1638-01-med.jpg

#2 Did Asher mention the Grand Canyon? (Canon 20D + 16-35 L)
1328MG_0205-01_copy.jpg

#3 Jungfrau from Wengen (Canon 20D + 70-300 DO IS)
1328IMG_8065-01_copy-med.jpg

Don Ferguson Jr.

Black Balsom Knob ,Pisgah forest NC

Another one for amateurs
The sky was awesome that day .Why they are called Blue Ridge Mountains.

img20060609046601sk8.jpg

Asher Kelman

Nathanial, I love your pcitures. What's the story with the snow drift image?

The grand canyon is impressive. I wonder whether some local contrast sharpening might help it pop?

Don, that shot is very nicely layered. great landscsape.

Asher

Don Ferguson Jr.

Asher ,
thanks for the compliment .Compared to the pro pictures probably a different ballgame ,but I liked the results on how the sky and clouds looked that fine day.
Regards
Don

Last edited:
Asher,

That snow drift is part of the Jungfrau, one of the most famous peaks in the Bernese Oberland. Shot from the town square in Wengen, the photo was made as the early morning sun illuminated the mountains. The dark sky and the snow lends itself to monochrome, no?