• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Portraits of Children Series by Charlotte Thompson

Jim Galli

What a difference the catch lights in the eyes make. She is precious. We raised 3 girls, couldn't get a boy, and now we've got all grandsons, can't get a princess in the bunch. So far!

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Charlotte,

I have hesitated a long time which one I preferred, they are both good. But I think I agree with Jim, the first one with the catch light is indeed the better one.

Intriguing title BTW, why lamb?

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

I would love to know what size those portraits are and what they are made of. That is assuming the originals have physical existence and are not just electronic files organised for monitor display.

It used to be (still is?) a mistake in making photographs to get the size wrong and the classic error was the over-enlarged baby. Once a photograph of a baby or a small child nears a 1:1 repro ratio the results lean towards parody or the grotesque. Another problem in making big pictures of small faces is to drag the viewers into an uncomfortable sense of proximity and over intimacy. Strangers don't belong so close that they see faces so big.

If you look at thousands of photographic portraits one factor seems to repeat. Successful pictures tend to be taken at a distance of 1.2 to 1.5 metres. At this distance the perspective of the face, ears versus eyes versus noses, seems to read right. It is also the gap that people choose when they are being attentive, respectful, and engaged but loathe to invade personal space.

Curiously, the impact of big face close-ups seems much weaker with virtual pictures. An actor's face 5 metres high projected on a cinema screen is a familiar thing and few if any of the audience would recoil. The same goes with monitor images. They have retinal presence but not physical presence and don't impose themselves the same way a 16x20 inch gelatin-silver photograph would.

Charlotte Thompson

Jim
I understand I raised 2 boys and then my first 2 grandchildren were boys and now I have this delicious little tidbit! I am her paparazzi- thanks for your comment-I did these in sepia and for some reason the catch lights showed more in the sepia - I posted the bandw cause I need the study for portraits in bandw- I could post the sepia if you wish to see them-

Charlotte-

Cem
hi and thanks- in america I think we call our babys "lamb" soft sweet and innocent like a lamb"

Charlotte-

Doug

thank you -she is all of that and so much more-as I told Jim I did these in sepia and had more catch light but decided to do in bandw-which I need study in- the lens I use as I have told you in the Mac and cheese shot is very condusive to the kind of work I like to do which of course is close up head shots- the sepia is very very nice with these 2 shots-I have just finished a new series study yesterday of her- which I will try ti post today-for me head shots are" da bomb"
thank you again-so very appreciate your input-

Charlotte-

Maris

I use a nikon d40 with a 105vr macro lens- this lens is or has been very very good for my work which for me are close up head shots- which I am enamored with-
I use photo bucket to store my shots and choose around 800 pixels to show them in forum
yes I do digital work with Picasa- I am at a distance of about 2 to 3 feet standing hand held mostly when I shoot- I love the close up especially of children but adults do well too-
I don't believe I am ever intrusive as far as space goes because I usually will have conversations with the subject while shooting before and after so that I can find that all illusive uncontrived expression- I hope that helps in understanding and answering your questions-

Charlotte-

Charlotte Thompson

Communion

This was taken in early evening light-all are welcome for crit or comments-

DSC_0829-1.jpg

Charlotte Thompson

Rachel

tried to get out the white of the headband-grrrrrr couldnt do it but did one in sepia-still doesnt get out all the white- I need to recharge my flash- low light late evening- strange light really-strange me!

DSC_0829-2.jpg

this is her saying ok we got 3 shots-stop!

DSC_0860.jpg

Charlotte Thompson

Rachel

thanks-I have a whole slew of these "communion" shots- she is my fav subject- sometimes I bribe with gummy worms and play the game "dragon and cock-la-do with her to get some pictures-whatever works huh LOL- she is only 3 years old
thanks for coming to my thread and your thoughts are always appreciated and welcome

Charlotte-

Charlotte Thompson

Rachel
thank you so much- I think for these the sepia works best-gives it a heavenly feel to whats going on*

Asher
so far my friend and thank you for saying that about my work-I have miles to go but the journey is exciting*

Charlotte Thompson

Mother and Daughter-Candid Shot

just this evening 6:40 pm-natural light- dunno if the sun is too much? welcoming all crits and comments-

DSC_0897.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Warning: harsh comment!* see footnote

just this evening 6:40 pm-natural light- dunno if the sun is too much? welcoming all crits and comments-

Hi Charlotte,

Unless they had just left on a trans-galactic flight, I'd not give this any attention! You have done so much better and you know. Yes, of course, the humanity of it is there; a mother's nose squashed against her precious daughter, and all because of you! But, to that point we have a memento, a snapshot to treasure. Want a photograph? We want a minimum of compositional effort and technical competence.

You already know what's wrong, don't you? Of course the sky is blown, the squashed nose is not pretty and we are too close to enjoy the geometrics of the hug. So I'd not spend any time with this. The trouble is that you love them so dearly that you can't put this aside! Don't worry, we do love her! We already have pictures of the little munchkin that are so precious here. So why go backwards?

Asher

Now if you are new to OPF, please don't be alarmed by the horrible things I'm saying. We're kind until we get to know you, but we don't ever pretend something is wonderful photography when it is hardly worthwhile not deleting. That is not kind to anyone. We aim to nurture people on their pathways to creative excellence, not just to pander to good manners. We have enough credit with Charlotte that she wouldn't expect otherwise!

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

see- I knew it! yes I did- LOL- ok I am trying my hand at more into compostion with other beings and catching the shot
this truly isnt my best I know that-but it is a start at understanding what I most could do more-
I do so love your demonic sense of humor I can't stop laughing-bravo!!
but as I said a new area- a new challenge- I have so many ideas- thank you for you!

here is what Peyton thinks too-

DSC_0901.jpg

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Peyton!

The real child...in a mood of course...but this is one to cherish. Wish it were just a tad more in focus because the expression is delightful

Charlotte Thompson

Kathy-
yes a mood she can get into-she was mad cause I stopped shooting her and her mother together
the sun was wrong, the subjects moving very fast-I tried all positions I could get into that seems to be blur reason they couldn't be still
more with some blur grrrr-

DSC_0891.jpg

DSC_0903.jpg

Charlotte Thompson

all American boy

Title- Cheer up America I may be your future Prez. aka Parker James Thompson

inspired by Doug Anderson's 2 headed photo-on the elections"Election year Mood Swings"

DSC_0786.jpg

Charlotte Thompson

more over the top election dude

vote!!! for me!! more anti democratic and republican shots-
I belong to the skateboard dudes galactic of more-over the top- reasons to believe-

DSC_0792.jpg

and I almost promise-no taxes- but skateboards are another story-

DSC_0794.jpg

Clayton Lofgren

I like the happy face better than the more pensive ones, and it reminds me of me. As a Canadian born baby boomer, I have always felt fortunate about the time and place of my birth. I feel like I have lived through the best sixty years of history, and can only hope that youngsters like this experience something similar.

Charlotte Thompson

Clayton-

I totally understand what you mean, I am a Boomer too-
this child is one of the happiest children you could ever hope to know
and thank you so much for your thoughts-very appreciated! btw-his pensive mood very very sleepy and ready for bed after a long day of fun-

Charlotte-

Charlotte Thompson

Washing the Color of Water

I am learning the art of portrait- and all its color-
what I love most is humanity-
all comments and crits are welcome-

DSC_1404.jpg

DSC_1419.jpg

DSC_1416.jpg

DSC_1409-1.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Charlotte,

Number 3 is very special if you ask me.I am really enticed by it; the tenderness and fragility.
I can almost smell the shampoo and the bath oils. It takes me back to the period when our daughter was a toddler just like that. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Cem

I can imagine if you have the typical bathroom it wasn't easy shooting in the crammed space and with the lighting or should I say lack of lighting it provides.

I really like the 1st one and the brightness of it. I also the skin color and the monochromatic look of the whole shot.
The 2nd one is just the opposite, dark all around making the skin dull and showing the slightest imperfections.
The 3rd one is good and overall I like it, she does seem to be posed and waiting for the picture to be taken (but that could just be me) though.
The 4th just doesn't hold much interest for me (but that could just be me) and it's cut too close to her chin to look right proportionally.
So, yup, the 1st is definitely my favorite of the series.

My friend did a similar photoshoot with here daughter and between the two of you, you have me inspired! I may just try to capture the sweetness that is left after you remove all the cute clothes and hair bows and wash all stickies and muddies away, at our next bathtime.

Charlotte Thompson

Cem

yes you know what that's a fav of mine too- these were hard shots to get-
thank you for coming to my thread- I always appreciate what your insight shows me-
thanks again!

Trudy

I am trying to study the different tones of black and white, for some reason it is a bit harder than sepia or color so that's why some are stronger than others- yes it wasn't an easy shoot but doable- none of my portraits are posed as I am not so much into that kind of photography
she is a model with amazing expressions as with children they change and move constantly, you keep your fingers crossed and shoot-
Thank you for your valuable input and I hope you found some inspiration and do a shoot like this-I will love to see the shots! Thanks again!