• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

This strikes me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nill Toulme

...as fairly provocative (and the images are probably pretty interesting too):

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told ministry students at her former church that the United States sent troops to fight in the Iraq war on a "task that is from God."

In an address last June, the Republican vice presidential candidate also urged ministry students to pray for a plan to build a $30 billion natural gas pipeline in the state, calling it "God's will."
The section of the church's Web site where videos of past sermons were posted was shut down Wednesday, and a message was posted saying that the site "was never intended to handle the traffic it has received in the last few days."​
Complete AP story here.

Nill

Rhys Sage

pro member
It's politics guys...

Anything that'll get the job done...

Incidentally, on politics, I know a shed load of staunch Democrats that're going to vote for McCain because they dislike Barrack Hussein Osama so much.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nill,

...as fairly provocative (and the images are probably pretty interesting too):

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told ministry students at her former church that the United States sent troops to fight in the Iraq war on a "task that is from God." . . .​

The Republican party gurus think that for their ticket to win it must be seen overall as to the political-social right of Louis XIV and as overtly religious as Oral Roberts. So that makes Governor Palin a nice choice, especially when the second criterion was to try and sweep in disaffected Hillary Clinton supporters based on the theory that they would vote for any woman, regardless of her political outlook - in fact, maybe especially if she was the opponent of that accursed Barack Obama, who wouldn't even choose their hero as his running mate.

And Palin's speech the other night would certainly have won her the Senior Class presidency in a typical middle-class high school, or a grade of B+ in a middle school public speaking class.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nill,

Thanks for the links on, at best, religious exploitation of her electorate. I dislike the woman! Yes, even if these stories are not true! Unfortunately, I think she's not cynical. I'd wager she believes this: she understands the will of God!

I personally am against abortion. I think it's a sad way to treat ourselves. However, I'd not decide for your family. This woman wants to ban abortion even for rape and incest. There, the assault continues for the rest of a girl's life! Yes, the questions are hard and the feelings strong on abortion. But don't claim a monopoly of valuing of life! If that was a real concern why not fund care of runaways girls lost at bus stations? Why not care for unwed mothers? Why can HMO doctors kick patients out on fridays to save money over the weekend? Why hide the coffins of young men, the heros who "sacrificed" their lives for freedom? Conservatives limit their concerns to religious dogma and political self interest.

Asher

Nill Toulme

I'm sure that Jamie Lynn Spears is relieved to find that teen pregnancy has now been officially determined to be a Family Value. ;-)

I guess somebody will have to go back and erase all those Rush Limbaugh diatribes on that point though... but that's OK... more work for a small businessman.

Nill

Asher Kelman

I'm sure that Jamie Lynn Spears is relieved to find that teen pregnancy has now been officially determined to be a Family Value. ;-)

I guess somebody will have to go back and erase all those Rush Limbaugh diatribes on that point though... but that's OK... more work for a small businessman.

Nill
I miss the meaning on Rush Limbaugh diatribes relating to the girl!

Asher

Nill Toulme

BTW, it's kind of ironic that one of the points in Obama's acceptance speech (surely one of the great political speeches of our generation, completely wiped off the media map by Republican reality-TV central) was that surely, one of the things we can all agree on is that reducing teen pregnancy is a good and important goal. I guess not if it involves telling anybody about contraception...

Nill

Nill Toulme

I miss the meaning on Rush Limbaugh diatribes relating to the girl!

Asher

Rush ranted at length about the unseemly nature of Jamie's situation. E.g., here's the first link that comes up on a Google of Limbaugh + Spears. But then he used to rant against drug abusers too, didn't he...

This just landed in my e-mail:

====================================
Your Pocket Guide to Speaking Palin-guage (Vol. 1)

Up in the Twin Cities area folks are speaking a new language. Or, should I say Palinguage. It sounds sorta familiar because it's Latin based. But different from the plain English we're used to speaking, in Palinguage recognizable words take on new meanings. Won't you take a moment to learn some Palinguage so you can talk like a hypocritical conservative?

REPEAT THE FOLLOWING:

If you're a minority and you're selected for a job over more qualified candidates you're a "token hire." If you're a conservative and you're selected for a job over more qualified candidates you're a "game changer."

If you live in an Urban area and you get a girl pregnant you're a "baby daddy." If you're the same in Alaska you're a "teen father." (Actually, according to your own MySpace page you're an F'n redneck that don't want any kids, but that's too long a phrase for the evil liberal media to take out of context and flog morning noon and night).

Black teen pregnancies? A "crisis" in black America. White teen pregnancies? A "blessed event."

If you grow up in Hawaii you're "exotic." Grow up in Alaska eating mooseburgers, you're the quintessential "American story."

Similarly, if you name you kid Barack you're "unpatriotic." Name your kid Track, you're "colorful."

If you're a Democrat and you make a VP pick without fully vetting the individual you're "reckless." A Republican who doesn't fully vet is a "maverick."

If you say that for the "first time in my adult lifetime I'm really proud of my country" it makes you "unfit" to be First Lady. If you are a registered member of a fringe political group that advocates secession, that makes you "First Dude."

A DUI from twenty years ago is "old news." A speech given without proper citation from twenty years ago is "relevant information."

And, finally, if you're a man and you decide to run for office despite your wife's recurrence of cancer, you're a "questionable spouse." If you're a woman and you decide to run for office despite having five kids, including a newborn... Well, we don't know what that is 'cause THAT'S NOT A FAIR QUESTION TO ASK.
=========================

The source for that seems to be here.

Nill

Nill Toulme

...Incidentally, on politics, I know a shed load of staunch Democrats that're going to vote for McCain because they dislike Barrack Hussein Osama so much.

I'm really glad to hear that. I didn't know there were any Democrats in South Carolina. ;-)

"Barrack Hussein Osama" ... cute. Do these Democrats also send out those goofy e-mails claiming that Obama is a Muslim? Or are they in the anti-Christ camp?

Nill

Asher Kelman

I personally would prefer Obama was a Muslim or Buddhist but was consistent about it! As long as he doesn't make me go along for prayers, that's fine! I think he's Christian as much as he's an African American. Did he come here strapped to the deck of a slave ship? Except for extra melanin, he could have come from Norway! The rest is racist.

Blackness and Christian are terms of description that, in Obama's case, hardly tell just anything about the man. He's excelled hardly at all in legislative matters. What has he done beyond his own education and meteoric rise as a superstar? Frankly, I'd sooner vote for Madonna.

Asher

Nill Toulme

But you can't vote for her (unless you want to write her in). The real question is would you rather vote for a guy who finished 894 of 899 in his class at the Naval Academy, and who's changed his position on pretty much everything he's had a position on in order to appease the righter wing of his right wing party? (OK, with the possible exception of let's keep fighting in Iraq as long as we can...)

Nill

Nill Toulme

BTW, just by way of context, I used to really like and respect McCain. In fact, lifelong Democrat that I am, for a long time I was convinced that no Democrat could ever bring the country back together because of the polarization fomented by the Gingrich "revolution" and the rabidity of the antipathy of the right, and that only a (then, or at least so I thought) moderate Republican like McCain had any hope of doing it. But either he changed (I hope that's what it was), or he was pretending all along to be something he wasn't.

When he really lost me was when he caved to Bush and Cheney on torture. My chin is still on the floor over that one.

I want America back, and I want it without torture and secret prisons.

Nill

Rhys Sage

pro member
Speaking as an immigrant to the US and although married to a US citizen still (and I've been here 4 years) unable to vote as I'm still only a temprorary permanent resident; I would like to see the immigration system overhauled. What's happening is illegal immigrants come in and get permanent residence or even citizenship with no problems and the state pays for it all. I come in as a legitimate immigrant and end up being milked for more and more money. By the time I get my full permanent residence card we reckon we'll have been milked for about $10,000.

All this is being done in the name of anti-terrorism. It means nothing in terms of anti-terrorism and homeland security. Look at the example of Britain where the recent Islamic terrorists were born and brought up in Britain. Many were of immigrant parents but equally, some were born of families resident in Britain for generations.

Asher Kelman

Nill and Doug,

I'm down to trusting him more, however, his choice of Tammy Fay with shorter eyelashes and whip lash from popping out babies, has really tested my faith in the man. Still, as long as he can stay alive, I'd take the risk of the ride with him!

Obama is more like a campaign for Kellog's cornflakes*; high on empty calories. Obama's tax plans and ideas on health are naive to say the least.

I still would assign my intended vote for Hiliary to McCain. However, if he dies in office, I expect we'll be impeaching the new President.

Asher

*Also superheated CHO becomes polymerized to acrilamides. Hardly what we want to feed our kids. In both cases what is at first so appetizing has consequences that we don't want or need.

Doug Kerr

Nill and Doug,

However, if he dies in office, I expect we'll be impeaching the new President.

If McCain and Palin are elected, and McCain dies, Donald Sutherland will be all over Palin telling her she must deline elevation to the presidency or else.

Doug

Rhys Sage

pro member
Lol. I can't see the Democrats even have a snowball's chance of winning. There are too many problems with Obama. I expect him to be replaced fairly soon. In terms of Hilary - she was a liability given her husband's reputation. I do like McCain as I think he's got far more character than Obama. Once we start electing politicians based on factors other than character we're heading down the sewers - pretty much the way UK politics has gone. If McCain dies in office and his vice-President is impeached then we'll be in the same situation that existed when Nixon resigned and we'll have another non-elected President. I believe Gerald Ford did a really good job although he was never re-elected.

Hey guys, you're getting overheated, taking this too seriously. Think Karl Marx for a moment. If McCain wins then dies, Sarah becomes President, okay. The first Redneck, Working-Class, Comrade Sarah President in the Western world, with a Trade Union man as hubby to keep her in line if she steps out of it. And in America of all countries. It's too funny! Fidel must be laughing his socks off; Khrushchev's ghost grinning; Karl - in his Highgate Cemetery grave - on the brink of having his ideal resurrected. It's his destiny: Monty Python in real time. :)

With tongue in cheek,
Mike

Rhys Sage

pro member
Hey guys, you're getting overheated, taking this too seriously. Think Karl Marx for a moment. If McCain wins then dies, Sarah becomes President, okay. The first Redneck, Working-Class, Comrade Sarah President in the Western world, with a Trade Union man as hubby to keep her in line if she steps out of it. And in America of all countries. It's too funny! Fidel must be laughing his socks off; Khrushchev's ghost grinning; Karl - in his Highgate Cemetery grave - on the brink of having his ideal resurrected. It's his destiny: Monty Python in real time. :)

With tongue in cheek,
Mike

Wasn't lil Billy-bob the first redneck President?

Once we start electing politicians based on factors other than character we're heading down the sewers - pretty much the way UK politics has gone.

No, that's what happens when you start voting on media image, sorry "character", rather than policy. I give Obama credit for being the only US politician I have heard in the last 30 years to raise the possibility of winding the military back and looking for non military solutions (though Clinton generally did OK at avoiding military conflict).

I think the most fundamental mistake the US has made in the last 60 years was not winding the military back after 1945, as they had done after all previous wars. It's been a dead weight on US economic growth, partially concealed only because the starting point was so high (50% of world national income in 1950). I remember from my university days that from about 1950 to 1972, US economic growth was only 1% per annum in real terms. In the 80s with Reaganomics, the US went from being the world's biggest creditor nation to the world's biggest debtor nation in the space of a few years.

The US Presidency is essentially an 18th Century Monarch elected every four years (that's what the example was at the time of writing the constitution). Under George III (Washington, Bush, Bush) a conflict that was supposed to cost tens of billions has spun out to several trillions and counting - and maybe the Empire is crumbling.

The US dollar has revived a bit in the last month or two but it has been on a downward slide for many decades. It is not hard to imaging this could reach the point at some stage where international Banks and other countries come to ditch it - and because it is a world currency that must be a significant risk for the US itself.

Then there are any number of domestic issues. Personally I think that personal freedom without social equality is a delusion just as social equality without personal freedom is a delusion. I guess what I mean by social equality is equality of opportunity for all the society, particularly in terms of education and health, and particularly for the young. Even if the overall level of income is high, a country with a poor distribution of income and large barriers to opportunity will become more violent and criminal. Also, the restriction of opportunity to particular sectors of the society will in the end become a deadweight on economic growth, even if the appearance of inequality is disguised by social convention or institutional power.

Finally, there is Global warming and the environment. I don't know whether George III has porphyria but he often doesn't seem to see much outside his palace and that's set us back a decade (as also happened in Australia under the sadnonically-name "Honest John"). I don't think there's any questioning the size of the problem and the need for concerted strategic action - what are the candidates really going to do? "God wants oil pipelines" doesn't sound like a very credible response.

Supporting Sarah Palin on grounds of character may end up being equivalent to voting for Dan Quayle as President.

Status
Not open for further replies.