• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Expression in Photography Series by Charlotte Thompson

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Charlotte,

Of course the concept and the picture catches out attention. The title and introduction are helpful. This is about what an infant is and might become. The flowers being some sort of talisman , curtain, barrier and crystal bowl with all sorts of relationships to other places and times. The title says, "Dangerous" indicating perhaps that the girl might, like Maurice chevalier's "Thank Heaven for Little Girls", flash her eyes one day and send us "crashing through the ceiling".[http=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyBffCiGr8c]Cick here[/url] for video!

Thank heaven for little girls
for little girls get bigger every day!

they grow up in the most delightful way!

Those little eyes so helpless and appealing
one day will flash and send you crashin' thru the ceilin'

thank heaven for them all,
no matter where no matter who
for without them, what would little boys do?

Thank heaven... thank heaven...
Thank heaven for little girls!

All lyrics are property and copyright of their owners.
All lyrics provided for educational purposes only

Having said this, I find the execution so far just a beginning. The girls eyes are not sharp and the stems of the flowers to no obvious purpose are untidy over her face. I'd love to see more of this as it progresses. IOW, I like the concept and the sketch, but would demand more of you in the execution: composition, technical care with here face and so forth.

Keep it up, it's just my thoughts only!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well then, Charlotte, the first poster grabs me and will outlast the kids childhood. You did a great job. The two pictures of the lad work very well together in that composition. He's a cute child and you have placed the right hand image in a great position. He appears to be charming, independent and inquisitive. you might want to follow up with a new poster each year!

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

in the forum Photograhy as Art on the second page is a series I did titled "Collage Series"
the same idea basically-would you want to add those picture overlays in this thread especially there are a few I really love* I love my art LOL but god I do*
I will come back later and see what say you- thanks for knowing this part of my expression
and btw
I loved Chevalier

Charlotte-

Charlotte Thompson

a few more of my Dangerous Flower Children-they wear flower masks in a hidden garden-

collage87.jpg

collage174.jpg

Try as I might I cannot elicit any sense of danger from your flower children. Frankly, I'm bold enough to conjecture they're not dangerous even in a symbolic or metaphoric sense.

It looks like you are using the title to try to drive the picture where it does not want to go. Maybe I've been hanging around photographic galleries too long but I have become allergic to picture titles that "preach" or "explain" what the picture itself fails to convey. A title, if it is to be a guideline, could suggest which "mental machine" the viewer may care to engage but the picture has to do the rest.

As for the your images I see artifice and experiment rewarded with some nice formal effects in shape, line , tone, and colour. As for the connotations perhaps there is a sweet sad musing on the evanescence of flowers and childhood but I still think your pictures reward the eye more than the mind.

Charlotte Thompson

Maris

yes I do understand titles-I am a writer
what I find so interesting is the idea and title may or may not complete itself-
so have you
excellent- I am just another artist on a journey as are we all-
I am so very pleased to have your ideas on my work- as I am still learning where to go-
thank you so much-

Charlotte-

Charlotte Thompson

My Flower Children

I haven't done any more of my transparency overlays in a bit so I thought I would put a few new together-I missed my flower children* comments are welcome as are crits-

collage199.jpg

collage191.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Charlotte,

I actually like these although it is not my 'genre" as it is.

Just an idea for #1, maybe you can fade her mouth a little bit more so that it almost disappears leaving the heart of the flower more visible in that area of the picture. The darker patch at the LHS is something which can be cloned out easily.

The 2nd one is quite intriguing. The eye looks like the dark patch of the flower's petal. Neat!

Both are way too small for us to judge properly, can you not make them a bit bigger please?

Cheers,

Charlotte Thompson

Cem

these are as large as I can get them because of the cropping done sorry-I have tried but can't seem to make any larger-thank you for your input-I miss my little urchin flower children__ I'll see to try to not crop so deeply in my next flurry of these little sweet munchkins"

collage199-3.jpg

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Charlotte

I do enjoy your flower fairies and nymphs, nice to see both your development of this work and something so different, I would always be able to say if I saw one of these "that has to be Charlotte's"

I'm fascinated by the second one you posted very small with the pansies, any chance of posting that one a bit larger?

I also like the third one with her peeping through the mesh with her lovely mischievious eyes, looks like a forest fairy, very well done....

Cem_Usakligil

...these are as large as I can get them because of the cropping done sorry-I have tried but can't seem to make any larger-thank you for your input-I miss my little urchin flower children__ I'll see to try to not crop so deeply in my next flurry of these little sweet munchkins"

...I'm fascinated by the second one you posted very small with the pansies, any chance of posting that one a bit larger?
Hi Jan,

As Charlotte has answered this request before, I'm afraid a larger version is not possible for this one.

Cheers,

Charlotte Thompson

Janet

how nice to see you again- and I remember from your own beautiful flower photos how much you enjoy flowers and thank you for coming to my thread
I am so sorry but the image you wanted larger I can't enlarge because of the tight cropping I did-
I did send a few more and one copy of the one you liked so much-it's not exactly because they are almost imosssible to duplicate-

collage193.jpg

collage16.jpg

our little halloween pixie-

collage11.jpg

janet Smith

pro member
I am so sorry but the image you wanted larger I can't enlarge because of the tight cropping I did- I did send a few more and one copy of the one you liked so much-it's not exactly because they are almost imosssible to duplicate-

Hi Charlotte

Thanks for your comments, yes I have several obsessions in life, one of which is flowers, particularly small, delicate, preferably wild flowers, and I do like your theme of flower fairies....

Of the one's you've just posted I think the second one is enchanting, thanks for your trouble in re-posting these. BTW what do the children in your photographs think about the resulting fairy images?

Ivan Garcia

Hi Charlotte.
Like Asher, I have an ongoing interest in the arch of intent, and the creative processes. Do you begin with an specific idea/vision and work on it?
I have many questions, as I just can't figure out what it is that you are trying to convey here, and consequently I can't make up my mind as to their purpose.
For now I'll just enjoy looking at them... Thank you for sharing

Charlotte Thompson

Ivan

in creating these Flower Children or Children of the flowers my intent is to give another look (portrait) of what I think children really are- little hidden scamps of the forrest- I love flowers and children, I try to take great portraits shots first with excellent expression in the eyes and combine them with flowers or vines etc. an idea much like Anne Geddes but a different turn in my work- sort of another voice/signature-
hope this helps in your understanding-these overlays are difficult and cannot be reproduced as they are one of a kind each-

Charlotte-

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Charlotte,
After reading many of your comments and looking at your images over time I recommend that make an effort to look at the work of Sheila Metzner. You'll find a brief video on her (and many other photographers) at PixChannel and a simple Google search will reveal many other references. Her philosophy, and perhaps even her background, might ring as somewhat congruous with yours.

Charlotte Thompson

Ken

hi and thank you for coming to my thread-
I did look up your link and how uncanny this woman and I are-her way about her-silver bracelets and cigs-sunglasses and even her hair and age match-
I did see me alot-
and her ideas on the mystical way to look is uncompromising IMO-
much again the same way- you are extremely intuitive my friend-
I must admit I didnt know of her work but gives me such insipiration!!!-I thank you for that!
I am into costume-mystical and colors out of the norm-
I did read everything I could- she is something indeed!
whatever tendencies I have that even come close to such a talent I am humbled-
I try to follow my own beauty as did she- thank you again so very much- there is much still to learn-

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

Hi Charlotte,

Before one shows a selection to the world ask "Is there a unity of each picture and of the series." We shouldn't make it hard for the viewer to get into your world. Don't provide two different styles or themes as one series.

The first two belong together. The third does not make it beyond a snap shot and the 4th should be dealt with on its own as a separate study. S we have two subjects, the first two and then the last. For now, just the 2 sepia pictures.

DSC_1471.jpg
DSC_1472.jpg

This would make a good idea for a vertical triptych. The transparent plastic and sense of exploration projects the idea of learning about the world. This holds our intention and we want to explore the contents and find out about the girl and what she is doing. A 3rd carefully chosen image from this series would complete the idea.

The last image could be examined later. It's to difficult to discuss different topics in the same thread. So let's work for now on the first two related images. Would that be O.K?

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

I love the look of sepia and have been using this tone lately in much of my work-the warm tones speak to me-"comfort"comes to mind
a child grows through many stages in their lives- fantasy play is a big part Tinker Belle was and still is a favorite of mine as well as Peter Pan-the whole idea is so very wonderful- never growing up*

Charlotte-

this is the other shot that may or may not go with the others-hard to catch Tink-she was running all over the place-

DSC_1466.jpg

did Pearl join just to advertise her skate store? .... that's not really a question.

Charlotte,

Nice posters. I really like the second one. It has an edgy-ness to it that goes well with skateboarding. I would even like to see the second one grunged up a bit more with some inky edges and ink spots splattered tastefully on it.... using the back of the skateboard as inspiration.

Cem_Usakligil

did Pearl join just to advertise her skate store? .... that's not really a question.
Hi,

I have soft deleted Pearl's message until we can verify her intentions. As it was, it contained a repetition of URLs and keywords which makes the message an advert as well as spam which targeted the search engines.

Cheers,

Charlotte Thompson

Trudy
thank you for your feeedback- but I think the boy has too much of an all american clean cut look to grunge it up- the poster is a definite him! thats what I was aiming for-

Pearl
hmmmmmmmm well guess I should say thank you though I can't see your reply-