• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Expression in Photography Series by Charlotte Thompson

Charlotte Thompson

Brahms Lullaby

these shots so reminded me of Brahms Lullaby- the innocent sweet baby and the music within each child in repose photshop for an art look and balaned in the right crop colors showing for the art look- like for a book cover or pictures inside a childs story or for poetry-

DSC_1117.jpg

DSC_1118.jpg

Charlotte Thompson

also I must say that I am working with a publisher on poetry shots/visuals for a poetry book to come out in the Winter 2008- sorry forgot that detail- whoopsee-
oh and not just these-

Charlotte-

Charlotte Thompson

Art portrait tinker Belle Series

This idea I have done before with ps and after looking up Loretta Lux and also I found this incredible artist Peter G Balazsy who seems to have similar ideas of art photography that I also love to do- I again went back to this again- because I so love the seduction of the color of the subect- Asher thank you for the Lux info- amazing art! all coments are welcome as crits-this is from the Tinker Belle series-

DSC_1468-1.jpg

DSC_1471-1.jpg

like most all of your work charlotte, i love it!!! it does seem a bit bright on the first look, but i think that would be totally different with a black frame.... the background of the forum here is pretty light, so i think that adds to the brightness of the picture...

like i said, a thick black frame and it would be PERFECT hanging on a wall.... i absolutely love it!!!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
like most all of your work charlotte, i love it!!! it does seem a bit bright on the first look, but i think that would be totally different with a black frame.... the background of the forum here is pretty light, so i think that adds to the brightness of the picture...

like i said, a thick black frame and it would be PERFECT hanging on a wall.... i absolutely love it!!!
Kassandra,

I like the fact that you have an opinion so strong. However, a thick black frame would be set how? Close to the print?

Asher

no, what i am picturing, (and i dont know if i can describe it perfectly....) are these boxy type frames ive seen used by photographers at what we call riverboat days here in the town i live in... (it is a festival where people bring their art/craft for sale and display)

the photo would be matted and then framed in this frame.... the edge of the frame is about 3/4 - 1 inch... and that is what the black would be....

does that make sense?

maybe what you thought i was talking about was a frame in ps? that is not what i was refering too... (maybe i should try to be a little clearer... sorry)

Charlotte Thompson

Kasandra
thank you so much for your kindness to my work, makes me believe that all the hard work is paying off-I like the idea of the black frame-it certainly would set the picture off- I do this kind of art from time to time and love it** I am going to put up more of this only in much lighter shades which I like the look of because for me" it has a fine art painting look to it-
I'll do that on Monday ok- would love your opinion- thats again always lovely to see you in my thread- and would love to see your work as well!

Charlotte-

Charlotte Thompson

The Desire of Life

Ok I know most will back off of this kind of photography/art- but I have been working on a certain artistic style-painting/photography
these are original shots enhanced in my own way of seeing them- a kind of exploration of what might be/what else could be- I love this-I do very well understand most may not see a painting but I do- I do welcome all thoughts very much! and trust me as an artist will respect whatever you see- I am learning the art of this- welcome-

DSC_1195.jpg

DSC_1188.jpg

DSC_1190.jpg

DSC_1208.jpg

I see lots of pictures put up on web sites attended by questions like "Are these good or what?" Do the seekers of critiques know how formal criticism of photography, and indeed art, actually works?

It's been twenty years since I used to write critiques, reviews, commentaries, cultural analyses, and outright polemics on photography. I'm not going back to it because actually making photographs has become much more fulfilling. But I have some original notes and working patterns that Charlotte Thompson and maybe other viewers might find interesting, challenging, or objectionable. Who knows?

1. The success of a photograph does not depend on what it is of or what it looks like. One would like to think the photographer has chosen the subject matter appropriately and made the photograph so it has come out exactly how they want. The purpose of critical review is to discover the detail of this.

2. Pictures from beginners, experimenters, students, or dilettantes should not be reviewed. A photographer unwilling to personally commit themselves to the worth of their photograph should not expect a reviewer to go to the personal effort of a critical response.

3. What is being critiqued? Is it a photograph; what medium, what size? Or is it an illustration of an actual photograph being displayed on a monitor? Or is it just a display of an electronic file? A bare picture of unknown substance is a shallow thing to critique.

4. Does the picture presenter offer themselves as an artist. If so, the stakes are high, the critique is severe, success is meritorious, failure is abysmal.

5. Does the picture show an affection for the photographic medium or a struggle against it? Trivial examples include positively accepting real grain as inherently photographic or conversely rushing to bleach or hand colouring because straight photography does not deliver. Hand work on photographs might be simultaneously successful art and photographic failure.

6. Is the photograph illustrative rather than being a conscious art object? Quite a bit of photography is concerned with recording the surface appearance of art executed in other media.

7. Is the photograph a plain one showing a "good" subject or a "good" photograph showing a plain subject? Good subjects do not guarantee good photographs. Ugly photographs of beautiful faces, beautiful photographs of ugly faces are both common tropes to attract attention.

8. Looking at a photograph can uncover evidence of the picture maker's thought process. For example:
Is there a projection of a mood?
Is the photographer making an Equivalent (Stieglitz style) of a spiritual experience?
Is making the photograph therapy for a troubled mind?
Maybe the photograph is a journey into enlightenment...photographic Zen.
Perhaps the photograph is evidence for irrational obsession...a photogeist.
Does the photographer celebrate beauty for its own sake?
Is the photograph intended for activism, propaganda, or social engineering?
Is the photographer an egotist seeking acclaim from a duped audience?
Does the photograph serve to memorialise a worthy idea?

9. Does the photograph incorporate enigmatic elements? If so, is this because the photographer wants to give the spectator's imagination scope for free play in the picture space? Or is it because the photograph is not fully thought through by the maker?

10. Is the photograph about the photographer; a biography in pictorial form?

11. Should the photograph be praised for technical competence or is this to be assumed as a basic minimum standard for any picture shown in public? Is technical virtuosity relevant in an art context? Is the photograph just a certificate that a praiseworthy conceptual journey has been taken?

12. Spectators give up a little bit of their lives, time that they do not get over, to look at photographs. Does the photographer, via their photograph, acknowledge an obligation to the viewer for calling attention to themselves and their work? Or is it all about the picture maker and the audience can shift for themselves as best they can?

13. In the end, does the photograph create something new? Does it open doors of perception previously closed? Is it a well-spring of new appreciations or new vision? In the very old world of visual art an evocative idea is most precious and worth sincere praise.

Anyway, that is the sort of interrogation I used to give a photograph or a photographer (hopefully both) before writing a critical article. It would have been a privilege years ago to do the same with Charlotte Thompson's "The Desire of Life" pictures at the front of this thread but my commitment to this process is over.

I though I would post this screed in an attempt to show that there is lot lot more to be wrung from a photograph than merely what it looks like under casual inspection.

Charlotte Thompson

Thank you Maris-
your note is well recieved indeed- myself and others will gain insight from so much information-
what I work on in these pieces is indeed art for me= its a fairly new process and I am still working on it-
I love the pale colors of the skin contrast with hair and eyes-each has its on details
each its own Life" sort of a Blow up of life-Explosion of color and energy in the palest tints of "delicate" just as Life is"
as life is a Desire to be More"

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Anyway, that is the sort of interrogation I used to give a photograph or a photographer (hopefully both) before writing a critical article. It would have been a privilege years ago to do the same with Charlotte Thompson's "The Desire of Life" pictures at the front of this thread but my commitment to this process is over.

I though I would post this screed in an attempt to show that there is lot lot more to be wrung from a photograph than merely what it looks like under casual inspection.

Maris,

Your post is one to be bookmarked! Yes, it is an interrogation!

The picture is likely not to get enlightenment or to overthrow a government of get closer to God. Likely it's a dream to make some child's look last long enough to get some connection with eternity. That might be an essence of art.

If charlotte would say it means this or should do that, then she gives me a ruler by which to take measurements. To me, I am not concerned as to where the colors or shadows come from, rather whether it says something of the artist or provides me something to say.

As an observer or critic, I must look to the title and then "What's there?" and "How it's made?" and "Does it evoke anything at all and why? I then can go back and look at the artwork, its edges and shapes, balances and contradictions. Since only then is form important. If I have nor been brought into the work, it's not important to me anyway.

When it does work, one can dissect and say why? When it fails, one might find there was no controlling idea to start with.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

I have indeed bookmarked Maris's critique form-hopefully not an interrogation-
since this is a new process for me and very experimental- but I adore as I have said the delicate and fine look of a painting of a photograph- now that said:

in my response to Maris regarding thoughts of the work- "

I love the pale colors of the skin contrast with hair and eyes-each has its on details
each its own Life" sort of a Blow up of life-Explosion of color and energy in the palest tints of "delicate" just as Life is"
as life is a Desire to be More"

Charlotte-

maybe better said "The very delicate Nature of Life" shown in its most translucent of beings "children"

since this idea is very new to me and so in the exploration I dig and find more of myself
I know there is more to be found-more to understand in the many layers
so I take my tools and dig some more-the finding out of something new isn't easy to uncover
but this explanation so far is my understanding so I give it up to others to see-

Charlotte-

Daniel Buck

to me, the odd green cast looks a bit strange. I think these might work better as monotone/B&W, particularly the first shot, great expression on that shot!

Charlotte Thompson

Peter

thank you- yes it does look fairy like- but this child has that quality inside-it's something new I am trying and I like a lot-thanks again for coming in with your comment, appreciated!
Charlotte-

Daniel

Oh defintely these could go b and w with no problem- I am experimenting with the light scale in ps- I have a new one just installed it's- NX2 ps made for Nikon- as soon as I can learn it the light will be a better light I have no doubt! thank you for your comments on this experimental thing, she does have the looks doesn't she- I love shooting her-my little diva*

Charlotte-

Dear Charlotte,

The president of magnum photography, Stuart Franklin, once told me that it is Magnums view that photographers can be categorized by the way they perfrom photography. One of these categories was "The obsessive Photographer".

I believe, by the very best possible meaning, you belong into this category.

To my perception, your choice of blowing out highlights where you might feel the information is not needed, or in my understanding, the reduction to certain aspects of the human expression appears to be part of your current style.

Charlotte Thompson

Georg
thank you for your insight into this exploration series- life can be told through many mediums as I see it- this is one medium- I am passionate about art and life and discover every day its beauty
its changes- I would so love to understand what" obsessive photographer" in Stuart Franlin's idea of defining a photographer actually means- it seems to me to be part of a "passion" that's what I understand from what you are saying- I hope that you come back and help me understand-thank you again -

Charlotte-

Hi Charlotte,

simply the case of a person being drawn to photograph the same or similiar subjects over and over again.

Personally, I did not bother too much with his attempt to categorise photographers.

Your choice of a title is interesting. I intend to think that a title is narrowing down or extending the meaning of a picture for the possible observer.

Different people will see pictures with different eyes, as we all are individuals, so is our perception. In my view a title leads the observer to a certain interpretation, in some cases the intend of the photographer. Then of course, there is psychology at play at the same time.

Charlotte Thompson

Heaven Waits for You

This is a shot I took at Halloween of a young woman who seemed to me exceptional in beauty- some how some way the shot got botched up very strangely- so I took another look today and tried to make something out of the botch-an experiment-in ps work but I love the look of it-it has a strange art look to it-as the title" heaven waits for you" -She seems to be saying to me as I redid the photo to find its life-

DSC_1142-3.jpg

DSC_1142-4.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

This thread has been created on behalf of Charlotte Thompson. Recently, we have realized that her Expression in Photography threads can better be consolidated into one main topic so that we can follow the progress of Charlotte without searching back and forth between various threads. So now, we have combined all her previous threads into this one to make a longer term record of her body of work. This consolidation of related threads is imperfect but should still to allow the reader to follow progress of one artist-photographer on a chosen art-form style of expression in their on going work. This therefore will cover related but not identical subjects and ideas as the project develops.

All the original threads are still present and can be read (for historical and linking purposes) but it is not possible to react to them from their original locations any longer. All new discussions should be conducted here in this thread.
http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7860

Eerie Piano Music

Wickedly composed! You don't see the knife, but you know its there. The title sets the mood perfectly but you still sense some sort of evil warmth in this character...probably the warmth of your own spilling blood.. (grins) But seriously this is jolly macabre well done!

Charlotte Thompson

Rachel
you are very kind-thank you* I love doings this kind of thing

Blackford
only you and you alone know me and my work better than I do!
this was a play around thing on a tooooooo cold day to be out but to my surprise it looked pretty cool
another way to look at Cold

Charlotte Thompson

The Distortions of Life

I have come up with an idea for a series on the title "The Distortions of Life or may be "The Distortations of A Life"
in either case I think it may present some interesting ideas-the idea of blur and distortaions have always interested me in photography as well as overlays- and to find the right shots for the series with "everyday life" in mind will be a challenge for me
the first photo is a self portrait I deliberately did last Summer with this idea but of course like any thing else the idea lost itself inside my mind but has resurfaced again
I moved the camera as I shot to get the distortion and blur -I was working at the time and smoking a cig-blurred smoke from the lips when the sense of the idea came to mind so I quickly took hold and tried to get with the thought-

DSC_06302.jpg

Ken Tanaka

pro member
... I was working at the time and smoking a cig-blurred smoke from the lips when the sense of the idea came to mind so I quickly took hold and tried to get with the thought-

Perhaps "The Destruction of Life" might be a more fitting title.

With the very recent premature death of a cousin from lung cancer this is all that came to my mind for "critique".

doug anderson

Charlotte: I like this very much, especially the smokey quality. It doesn't seem to be a gimmick at all.

Below is one of my own. I like rear curtain flash, as long as I can make it original.

343695949_GRVqF-L.jpg

Last edited:

Charlotte Thompson

Ken

First of may I send you my sincere condolences-

I wanted this to be a crit on the idea and the certain aspects of the shot
I do realize many have opinions of smoking eating drinking drugs etc etc...
however this was not my intent for the series and photography

Charlotte-

Doug

You and that dog are so handsome
I love the movement and strength shown- like Being One" hope thats not too cliched-
neato! and thank you for understanding and seeing my efforts
into that Great Unknown/Photography experimenting brings about a new life and energy
doesn't it!

Charlotte-