• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Flowers By The Wayside: Leaf with complex veins (ie not tulips, orchids, grass etc)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I assume the white projections are male female body parts.

The adapter m42 to EOS is from KAWA. They like you, are located in California. This lense is as sharp as any of my L glass. It will focus up to about 3 inches. I can only guess what you would have to pay for this lense if it were made today. I got it from Budapest Hungary from a guy named Attila. Very trustworthy and honest seller. Took 9 days to get it.
I haver some of those lenses but no adapters as yet. Just I guess "lensus interuptous" when one buys lenses and then the project changes and one forgets!

Interesting "Hungary from a guy named Attila" that's hilarious! You bought it from Attila the Hun!

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
This flowers only come this time of the year, that is what Yoriko, my wife said, and commissioned an image of them, really lovely, will find out the name and more about them...

Hello Leonardo

Lovely shot, I love the the softness, the flowers in question are Peonies, just about to flower in my garden too, so I should have some to photograph later this week or early next week. I think of them as very feminine flowers, IMHO your shot brings out their soft femininity perfectly. Thank you for showing this...

Ken Jackson

Here's A Weed

This is the creeper that is called the bashful plant. It creeps along the ground hidden in the grass and climbs the various shrubbery. If you are barefooted, the thorns will make you wish you weren't. The plant will fold its leaves if touched, and also the short branches will fold back against the main stem. The flowers are beautiful to photograph though...

79015634_khAJ3-L.jpg

This shot is of the common water lilly that grows prolifically in our drainage ditches alongside the roads at home. There are many beautiful flowers from plants that have been imported to our islands by the various people who came to tahiti and brought some plants from their homelands. I will post more later if anyone might be interested

79017534_9ruak-L.jpg

On our recent trip to North Carolina we visited the Tryon Palace. This is where the first Royal Governor of the North Carolina colony lived. It was unfortunately almost completely destroyed by fire when someone had the brilliant idea of storing hay down in the cellar. The palace is now a rebuilt replica of the original. There are still original remnants such as the stables and parts of the kitchen building and the palace itself is still a very interesting historical site that I was very glad to see. The gardens were magnificent and as we strolled through the grounds it was a wonderful feeling just trying to imagine what life there must have been like over 250 some odd years ago and how it must have been to be dancing in the room with President George Washington. Our country, compared to some of those of our international OPF members is still in its infancy, but to me, it is still a magical walk back in time discovering some of these things about her. These two images were taken in the gardens around the palace. I have also given a link to the Palace's website, the gardens in particular, for those who might be interested in learning a little more. The image at the top of their site is almost from the same spot that I took mine from. I guess I was there at the wrong time as far as colors go.

http://www.tryonpalace.org/garden.html

_DSC6291.jpg

0505_NorthCarolina_3044.jpg

Asher Kelman

James,

It's hard to miss acknowledging everyone's work, so I'm picking yours only because the contrast I see beween thge very wide view and the cclose up. someone said don't do internediate views! Well that's what you seen to follow. The green of the stately formal garden is impressive. I wonder who would have been invited. The close up of the flower is packed with beauty. Makes me think of all the layers of silks that fine dresses one would have seen wandering in these gardens 2 centuries ago.

Asher

Jim Galli

Jim,

What did you take this with and do you have a blowup of the flowers? Are they near you and still in bloom?

Asher

Flattered by the interest Asher. Here are a few more from the same day.

Globemallow2s.jpg

globemallow2

Globemallow3s.jpg

globemallow3

HeliotropeBlurreds.jpg

heliotrope blurred

I used a Nikon D200 with 300mm f4AF for all of these. I used the 2 exposure on one frame set-up for the blurred heliotrope. First exposure focused perfectly, second just slightly de-focused. Combined in camera in a single file.

And you thought I wasn't a digital guy :)

Asher Kelman

Jim,

Could you achieve the same sharp + soft focus effect using an add-on lens that adds the OOF light from the periphery?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Rapid framing with a walk-around lens: you do or you don't? What is your stratagem?

I realized that I had not posted the orginal uncropped shot! So I now have the honest truth! When one is moving fast with others, taking pictures can be annoying for everyone. So how does one not lose the shot and one's companions who want to move and not loiter at every flower or rusted lock! My solution is to frame wide and shoot fast. Sometimes merely aiming as one passes!

I just caught a wasp visiting some flowers as I was walking by. Framing as one strolls is always a challenge, especially with a single walk-around 50mm lens!

_MG_9340_Flowers_uncropped.jpg

Canon 5D 50 1.2L f4.5 1/800 sec

I tried two crops. First a central vertical crop to get a sense of movement.

Flower_and_wasp_portrait.jpg

Canon 5D 50 1.2L

Then a portion of that and in horizontal format, that's supposed to be more peaceful:

Flower_and_wasp_600_pixels.jpg

However in the end, the original vertical crop idea seems best as it gives more height of flowers for the wasp to have wandered in from. I had the feeling that the wasp had actually worked it's way up and that seemed more active. The horizontal picture seemed too static.

Mike Shimwell

Janet, I love the poppy - I've been watching those i our garden and wondering how to capture the papery quality of the petals. Great stuff.

Jim and Michael, nothing to add really - nice work!

Asher, I prefer the vertical rop - it has sufficient space for the wasp and sufficient concentration to draw me in. I think you commented elsewhere, it also has more 'movement' than the horizontals.

My own contribution below - these alstromeria have sat on our window for (probably) a bit too long for phtos:) But, they have all turned towards the light in an attitude that struck me as being one of worship - so I stood on a chair and our 6 year old daughter tried to hold a piece of matboard behind them.

I've included the crop as this was shot at iso1600 and then pushed 0.8 stops with not too much other processing, and very quick.

Mike

2532797358_eb8bf96251_o.jpg

2532797660_aa92a6a84c_o.jpg

Mike Shimwell

There's some wonderful work here, but I just grabbed these in passing on my way in from a run. New life and all, with a bit of rain.

Mike

2546294638_14246c4462_o.jpg

Rachel Foster

Mine were taken yesterday during a class break (I'm at a five day workshop on wedding photography; I've no interest in weddings, but it will transfer to portraits).

064.jpg

b3.jpg

lake033.jpg

Apologies in advance if there are focus issues. I'm on my laptop....nuff said! (Or, rather, I can't really spot focus problems on the small screen.)

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
The wayside of Stockholm....

We were strolling in the Gamla Stan area of Stockholm, on The Queen's Way when I spotted these Agapanthus (also known as Lily of the Nile)....taken with the Canon 5d and the new Tamron 28-300 vr

320202021_J2E6B-S.jpg

(c) Kathy Rappaport 2008

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Color and Contrast

Hi Gary!

Nice to see you here! Love #3's color and contrast and how you isolated the flower!

Hope to see you more around here, Hope all is well.

Rachel Foster

I've been working on getting the lighting right on this in edit, but for now this is as good as it gets. As my editing skills improve, you can bet I'll come back to this one!

beeee-1.jpg

ISO 400, f/11.0, 60mm, 1/1250, -2 step. (Had my macro on the Rebel when I spotted this little fellow.)

Asher Kelman

Hi Rachel,

Everything is already in your picture. Just select and darken the necessary areas and then brighten and optimize the parts that are interesting. Selective interest is needed. Here is a 20 second adjustment using Shadow Highlight on PS. Use this as a general concept.

beeee-1 copy.jpg

Just a quick idea!

Asher

Rachel Foster

The difficulty I have in editing is getting a precise selection. Even with the magnetic lasso (especially with fine elements) it never looks quite right. But I'm hanging in there!

Ron Morse

I love that yellow, Ron! What flower is that? I notice there is a sphere of water on the stamen. I wonder if there is any reflection in it? Have you looked? Superior gives vivid colors and is perfect for this. Are you processing this yourself.

Asher

Hi Asher,

Thank you.

Yes I looked but no reflection. I believe this is a daylily. I take the film into wallyworld and get it developed for negatives, then scan it into lightroom and then cs3. I can't make my mind up, I might like kodac gold better. I intend to get some slide film for the fine grain and colors and then scan the transparencies even though it is less forgiving.

I gave away all my darkroom stuff many years ago. I wish I had it back now.

Rachel Foster

Ok, this one I like! Don't know if y'all will, but I'm open to hearing how it can be improved. Still...this one I like (today anyway).

iso 400, 250mm, f/5.6, 1/500.

hfwmpn.jpg

Asher Kelman

Hi Rachel,

You've been working with good results! This picture is technically a great improvement and the design is pleasing. However, and this is perplexing, life is missing. By rendering the entire b.g. black in this way and the lighting flat, the plant becomes a graphic element divorced of emotion.

Now, I'm not saying that making the b.g. black is wrong. It can be perfectly correct. However, the life of the subject must be preserved. See the Philadelphia Mallet Rule!

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Well after spending the day cutting the hedge I'm now enjoying a nice glass of Bordeaux and thought I'd share a couple of pics taken between hedge cutting this afternoon. Daisies and Hosta (I think - Sue would know) in the garden. Quickly run through Lightroom and all shot with a Canon 100 macro at between f4 and 5.6.

Mike

2664794683_d057092d1a_o.jpg

2665641902_2a5bfb84cc_o.jpg

2665616930_7a240d853b_o.jpg

2664793489_1dfcf07da2_o.jpg