• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Flowers By The Wayside: Leaf with complex veins (ie not tulips, orchids, grass etc)

Cem_Usakligil

The context (i.e. the wayside) emphasized

I have been wanting to post some pictures of flowers by the wayside with a little bit of a twist. Most of the flower pictures posted here are close ups which makes a lot of sense since it allows us to focus on the beauty of them. But since the title of the thread mentions the wayside as the context, I gave myself the assignment to picture some flowers by the wayside whereby the environment and not only the flower is the major element of the picture. Also, I've decided to shoot all pictures at a fixed focal length of 17mm, the widest lens I have. And finally, I have concentrated on creating unconventional compositions if possible. After a brief walk around the town, these are what I came home with. So please tell me, have I accomplished these goals or should I keep on trying? Any other suggestions? Thanks for you comments.

flowersbytheway3.jpg

flowersbytheway1.jpg

flowersbytheway4.jpg

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cem,

Immediately, my response is that you have advanced our way of visualizing immensely. Thanks so much! What lens did you use? More comment to follow!

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
And finally, I have concentrated on creating unconventional compositions if possible. After a brief walk around the town, these are what I came home with. So please tell me, have I accomplished these goals or should I keep on trying?

Hi Cem

Mission accomplished I would say, I like the idea - and the resulting photographs! My preferences are No's 1 & 3, wish I had a 17mm!

I have been wanting to post some pictures of flowers by the wayside with a little bit of a twist. Most of the flower pictures posted here are close ups which makes a lot of sense since it allows us to focus on the beauty of them. But since the title of the thread mentions the wayside as the context, I gave myself the assignment to picture some flowers by the wayside whereby the environment and not only the flower is the major element of the picture.

Hi Cem,

Mission accomplished, indeed.

# 1 & 3 are my favorites. I especially like the first one:

I creates a mysterious atmosphere, with the superposition of the backlit leaves in the foreground on top of the tree in the background, it almost looks like a composite, which it's not. The repeating red/orange also ties the fore and background together. You have a good eye for these things.

Number 3 is one the most literal expressions of the thread's title I've seen.

Cheers,
Bart

Cem_Usakligil

....I creates a mysterious atmosphere, with the superposition of the backlit leaves in the foreground on top of the tree in the background, it almost looks like a composite, which it's not. The repeating red/orange also ties the fore and background together. You have a good eye for these things.
Thanks, I try :). I assume that you have noticed the statue of the horseman to the left? The horse prances along with the same V shape created by the building and the tilt of the camera.

..Number 3 is one the most literal expressions of the thread's title I've seen.
It is indeed. One doesn't get closer to the wayside than this ;-).

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Cem, you did great. Now how does number 1 work - I still haven't worked out how everything fits together?

Mike
Hi Mike,

This is a long, overhanging branch of a rose plant. The main trunk is behind my back, I have crouched under the branch with a single rose at the end of it to shoot upwards. The branch leading from the top is hidden behind the leaves, and you can't see it enter the frame which creates a strange impression. You can see a partial shadow of it if you look carefully. It was very windy and the branch was shaking wildly. So I had to take a few shots before I could get this one right.

Cheers,

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi,
just by the wayside but small and down at the ground: Anemone nemorosa
PS: this is a very little spring flower in the broad-leaved forests here in Austria, Switzerland, Germany ... it covers wide areas with its tender white blossoms.

p662753453-4.jpg

Wolfgang Plattner : Anemone nemorosa

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom,

This is beautiful and intriguing. It'd very abstract and evocative. What flower is it and how does it look uncropped.

Asher

It just looks like a flower, Asher. I'm not big on flower pictures so I have to push myself to find the bit that interests me. This usually results in an almost abstract image. Photographing them is a bit like meditation: converting an unpleasant though into a pleasant one.

20110920_3676 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

_D309700 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

purple-flower by tom.dinning, on Flickr

Asher Kelman

It just looks like a flower, Asher. I'm not big on flower pictures so I have to push myself to find the bit that interests me. This usually results in an almost abstract image. Photographing them is a bit like meditation: converting an unpleasant though into a pleasant one.

20110920_3676 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

_D309700 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

purple-flower by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

Yes, indeed, Tom,

These are so abstract that origin and taxonomy fades to irrelevance. I enjoy your imaging with such destructive yet creative lens work. We should have a separate section for "Abstractions from Flowers".

Asher

Asher Kelman

Back to strolls around Beverly Hills CA partly due to dog-sitting while my son is away!

344A1624-1A9F-46DC-820B-71D029C010A8.jpeg

Asher Kelman: “Tropical Mikweed”

These Flowers of the tropical milkweed plant - Asclepias curassavica are so attractive to insects and especially monarch butterflies, that those which flower in the winter too confuse and stop migration of monarch butterflies!

Asher

Back to strolls around Beverly Hills CA partly due to dog-sitting while my son is away!

View attachment 11595

Asher Kelman: “Tropical Mikweed”

These Flowers of the tropical milkweed plant - Asclepias curassavica are so attractive to insects and especially monarch butterflies, that those which flower in the winter too confuse and stop migration of monarch butterflies!

Asher
fun to see the diverse types of flowers and plants you have your way. We here still have snow... but it's disappearing but I'm anxious to have flowers growing outside too