• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Flowers By The Wayside: Leaf with complex veins (ie not tulips, orchids, grass etc)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mike,

Good subjects! However I find those little bees tough to image on a large yellow pollinating platform. One thing I would point out is that the use of totally black backgrounds, as in the first may not be as effective. In your second picture, putting aside the subject, the background is far more gentle. too much black and the picture gets robbed of some life.

All in all the first picture, despite the central placement is the one I like best becasue it is obviously a complete statement and has no distracting elements. Still, if the b.g. would have some remnants of life, it would, to me at least, be better!

Thanks for sharing,

Asher

Gary Ayala

One from the front yard

28692303_Xdtwt-L.jpg

Hi Gary,

I like #1 and this last one the best. #1 seems so clean and sharp, with nothing to distract, as Asher stated.
The last one, the backlight illuminating the pods is really cool, along with the hairs along the edge. Very sharp, crisp and not blown out at all.

Glad that you had fun doing yard work!!

Marshall

Gary Ayala

Hi Gary,

I like #1 and this last one the best. #1 seems so clean and sharp, with nothing to distract, as Asher stated.
The last one, the backlight illuminating the pods is really cool, along with the hairs along the edge. Very sharp, crisp and not blown out at all.

Marshall

Thanks Marshall ... I rather take snaps than mow.

Gary

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Gary,

Marshall
Hi Gary.

I wholeheartedly agree with Marshall. The last one with the pods is very, very good.
Thanks for sharing :)

Cheers,

Mike Shimwell

Gary, the pod is great. Lovely backlighting.

Asher, I've lightened the background on this one and included another with a fairly dark (but actually still lightened) background.

Mike

2669169936_941b73e9db_o.jpg

2668350711_2a930d100a_o.jpg

Tried to find a place for this, and this looks like it :) Hope some enjoy this New Mexico Wildflower.

Hi Allen,

You've made excellent use of complementary colors in your composition. The image could IMHO only be really improved by using a more back-lit flower (but that's not always available outdoors).

In the absence of different light, you could try a curves adjustment on the petals to enhance their structure a bit. Just a suggestion to augment the visual impact.

Bart

Charlotte Thompson

Gary
well good to see these beautiful morning glorys-I really like them have them growing on a fence- the colors you have enhanced very nicely- I am not sure about the abstract others but will come back to see what say you-

Charlotte

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Gary -

I have seen other images you and Cookie have made and I totally respect your photography so just a couple quick notes since I am procrastinating here at OPF while I am supposed to be crunching numbers.

The first image has a big white area above the flower that draws my eye. It think the image would be much stronger without it. The 2nd flower is much better since it's missing that whilte blob.

Ron Morse

Very nice Chris. The first really catchs my eye what with it getting ready to open up. I love the third one and the last shot reminds me of my own yard.

If I remember right the last one is a day lily, I constantly have to ask my wife. Even though we have had morning in the low 20's for a while they keep hanging in their. I looked this morning before my walk and I guess they have had it now.

Daniel Buck

I under exposed the velvia shots, knowing that the flowers were so super saturated. I should have done the same with the digital shot in the middle. I did take a velvia shot of that scene, but I don't know why I didn't scan it. I'll look and grab the slide to scan it tonight :)

velvia_01.jpg

poppies_01.jpg

velvia_02.jpg

Asher Kelman

Daniel,

These are superb! When and where were these taken? In the first 4x5, what lens was used and at what aperture? Did you tilt the lens?

The 35mm format looks great too, though for prints, the 4x5 goes beyond anything the 35mm could yield at that price! It would seem that one uses the 35mm as a Polaroid to get the composition!

Asher

Asher

Daniel Buck

These are superb! When and where were these taken? In the first 4x5, what lens was used and at what aperture? Did you tilt the lens?

The 35mm format looks great too, though for prints, the 4x5 goes beyond anything the 35mm could yield at that price! It would seem that one uses the 35mm as a Polaroid to get the composition!

These were taken near Lancaster i believe, at the poppy reserves. I guess it was in the spring time? i can't remember exactly.

The first 4x5 I believe was either 180mm or 240mm, at f22 if I remember correctly. Judging from the slightly un-pleasing background blur, I'm going to say it was the 240. I don't believe I used any movement for this shot.

For the 2nd 4x5, This was on the 240mm as well, I believe. With some back tilt to make the front flowers slight larger, and move my focus plane to be flat with the ground. I tried to leave the shutter open for as long as possible (f45 I believe) to get a blur of color in the flowers, but it didn't really work, the flowers weren't moving enough to really accomplish what I was hoping for, and it was to bright to have really long exposures.

Asher Kelman

Steve,

Glad to have Pentax images. Could you tell us more about the flowers? I'd love to know the names. The first picture is difficult to make out hte petal structure. could you show a flower at 100%

Asher

Steve Robinson

The flowers are Indian Paintbrush, Geranium, Columbine and Bluebells. My focus on the 1st one is not as sharp as I would have liked but here is a tighter crop. I applied some sharpening and NR.

437191876_JuUS3-O.jpg

I ought to have used a tripod but these were were on a fairly steep slope and it was hard to keep my footing and I may have moved a little.

Mike Shimwell

A quickie from a 10 minute slot in the gaarden last week. The flowers are really at the end of their life now, but I liked this enough to shoot a few different shots. 1Ds3 100 macro at f8 focused using live view.

Mike

3131519369_76052c3ac1_o.jpg

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
AT Asher's Request

This is a Magnolia from the Huntington Museum taken about 2 years ago...I've printed it on metallic paper and changed the color slightly when I did that. Only I liked it that way around here and now that I've revisited the image, I agree. Funny what we do to our work.

73930162.nBiasdFg.jpg

Asher Kelman

As you might notice, we now have two threads for "Flowers by the wayside". If the flowers comes from something whose leaves have parallel veins like grasses and lilies or orchids or palms, then they belong in the other thread, here.

Here post everything else like foxglove, primrose, deadly nightshade, roses, daisies, apple blossom, peonies, clematis and the like!

Check to see I didn't make any mistakes in sorting the original collection.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

As you might notice, we now have two threads for "Flowers by the wayside". If the flowers comes from something whose leaves have parallel veins like grasses and lilies or orchids or palms, then they belong in the other thread, here.

Here post everything else like foxglove, primrose, deadly nightshade, roses, daisies, apple blossom, peonies, clematis and the like!

Check to see I didn't make any mistakes in sorting the original collection.

Asher
Hi Asher,

You never cease to amaze me. I am quite curious as to why you felt the need to create this division actually. Not that I disagree with you but I don't necessarily agree either. For sure, it shall create some confusion initially. Please help me understand better :)

Cheers,