• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Follow along on my 31 day challenge - Day 1&2

Day 5: Today's challenge was silverware.

I decided to shoot a spoon. I printed out Yummy Good Food in white on black and the flipped the text so that the bottom of the spoon would reflect the words the right way.

day5silverware.jpg

James Lemon

I decided to shoot a spoon. I printed out Yummy Good Food in white on black and the flipped the text so that the bottom of the spoon would reflect the words the right way.

day5silverware.jpg

Hello Maggie

This is a cool image...love the reflection!

James

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

day5silverware.jpg

I love the composition with words! Very well done and to me, pretty unique! What led you to this simple measure?

Asher

day5silverware.jpg

I love the composition with words! Very well done and to me, pretty unique! What led you to this simple measure?

Asher
Thank you, Asher. I did several shots of different things but I had an idea knocking around my brain bout something reflected on the bottom. Realizing that if I flipped it, they would display properly on the underside, I simply created the black with white text in PS, printed it out and placed the spoon appropriately. I did some compositions with 3 spoons, or a spoon from the side, but I liked the very plain one the best.
:)

Day 6: Circles

Today was difficult. I couldn't come up with a good idea and shot many different things, including the interiors of Matryoshka dolls, xmas balls in a round wire basket, silver jumper rings, and finally, this last thing - just a simple bobbin of thread as I liked how besides the outer circular rings, there was also a set of rings in the inside.

day6circles.jpg

James Lemon

Today was difficult. I couldn't come up with a good idea and shot many different things, including the interiors of Matryoshka dolls, xmas balls in a round wire basket, silver jumper rings, and finally, this last thing - just a simple bobbin of thread as I liked how besides the outer circular rings, there was also a set of rings in the inside.

day6circles.jpg

Hello Maggie

This is good! You made the right choice here and the loose strand of thread completes the composition IMHO.

James

Hello Maggie

This is good! You made the right choice here and the loose strand of thread completes the composition IMHO.

James

Thank you, James. I also thought it was a good idea to have a bit of thread coming off the spool. Just enough that it didn't look messy but not very need which would look cold and contrived.

Maggie

Day 7 - Candles

Today, the challenge was candles and I just did what I normally do. Drop tea lights into fancy glasses and left them reflect the light. I used my Xmas tree as a backdrop for the circular bokeh before taken it down. I like it as it creates a very festive mood.

day7candles.jpg

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi Maggie,

great work! Besides the pic with the cat I like them all, they are so sophisticated, philosophical ... wonder what comes next...

Hi Maggie,

great work! Besides the pic with the cat I like them all, they are so sophisticated, philosophical ... wonder what comes next...

Thank you Wolfgang. The funniest thing is that the cat was simply to show how annoying she could be but now that everyone thinks it's part of my challenge, I would like to take it off but the edit button has disappeared. It's also nice to know that you are watching! :)

Day 8:

Today's challenge was candy. I love black licorice. I know people either love or hate it but we used to have both cigars and pipes with tiny red beads to indicate the hot smoking end. That was real licorice. These twists are what I consider the watered down version as they are all shiny and made with extract. I still like them though. Ha!

day8candy.jpg

For all of you that have left comments, I truly appreciate it as it feels good to know someone is looking! :)

Chris Calohan

Love black licorice, especially Dutch drop. If it's not made with real treacle, licorice root and just a touch of blackstrap molasses, it's not the real thing. I like the shot and that it made my mouth water for a taste is proof positive it is a success.

Asher Kelman

day6circles.jpg

I like the picture, Maggie but am troubled by the "One frame fits all" solution to presentation. The thread is a delicate element that gets overpowered by the harsh frame. Black is an error for this one. It needs to breathe, in my opinion with a white matte! Just my cantankerous viewpoint. not necessarily correct, LOL!

Asher

Love black licorice, especially Dutch drop. If it's not made with real treacle, licorice root and just a touch of blackstrap molasses, it's not the real thing. I like the shot and that it made my mouth water for a taste is proof positive it is a success.

Thanks, Chris. I do believe there is nothing to compare to the real thing. So yummy! :)

I like the picture, Maggie but am troubled by the "One frame fits all" solution to presentation. The thread is a delicate element that gets overpowered by the harsh frame. Black is an error for this one. It needs to breathe, in my opinion with a white matte! Just my cantankerous viewpoint. not necessarily correct, LOL!

Asher

You are absolutely right, Asher, but I think all of them will have a black border since I'm adding them one a day to a special gallery and to my blog and it needs to all look good together as I also post other photos taken on the same day all with the same border It's all very matchy - poo poo but probably not the best solution but I'm quite busy so I just post it here as is. If I were to actually print this out, it would have no border at all, but I don't think this image is good enough to print.
Thanks for stopping by and I hope you find them at the very least fun to look at.
Maggie

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi Maggie,

the challenge is well done by you ...
@ the cat: I guess, the pic would have been more interesting by taking it in front of the cat. I think the cat's eyes in the grey face would have been gorgeous with the red fruit

Chris Calohan

I'm not sure on this one, Maggie. Perhaps if it was a 1/2 book higher??? Or, it may be the slight chromatic abberation (haloing) on the edges of the white pages...something is nagging at me that it's nor quite right...but I do like the composition.

I'm not sure on this one, Maggie. Perhaps if it was a 1/2 book higher??? Or, it may be the slight chromatic abberation (haloing) on the edges of the white pages...something is nagging at me that it's nor quite right...but I do like the composition.

You may be right, Chris. I was rushed and this was not the idea that I wanted to do, but I needed a small prop that I just couldn't find. I may crop it down a bit to the books are higher up in the frame. At the moment, it is exactly as framed in-camera. Won't have time to fix the haloing but I could certainly do a crop.
Maggie

Okay, done - I agree that it looks better

Day 10 - Shoe Laces.

I started off with real shoe laces but was quickly bored. There are a gazillion or more images of old boots with the shoe laces undone out there and I wanted to do something different. The shoes I wear either have buckles or zippers but not a shoe lace in sight, so these shoe laces are painted on a wooden doll that my dad brought home from Europe when I was just a kid. I have a male counterpart but his boots don't have laces at all. :p

day10shoelaces.jpg

Asher Kelman

Day 10 - Shoe Laces.

I started off with real shoe laces but was quickly bored. There are a gazillion or more images of old boots with the shoe laces undone out there and I wanted to do something different. The shoes I wear either have buckles or zippers but not a shoe lace in sight, so these shoe laces are painted on a wooden doll that my dad brought home from Europe when I was just a kid. I have a male counterpart but his boots don't have laces at all. :p

day10shoelaces.jpg

Yes, the pose is just so perfect as if she is looking at her smart shiny red boots. I love the intense atmosphere of the presentation which is thoughtful and engaging.

Asher

day 11 of the 31 day challenge.

Today the challenge was a metal container.

At first I did a metal teapot that I have and the photo turned out very well, but I also did this shoot with photo from my family all taken before I was born. I created a scene with a small tin box, a pair of my son's old glasses that I keep as a prop, and some pressed flowers. The photo that is the main focus is of my mom and sister when they were small children. My mom is the younger girl. I miss her and that is why I chose this particular image.

day11metalcontainer.jpg

Asher Kelman

day 11 of the 31 day challenge.

Today the challenge was a metal container.

At first I did a metal teapot that I have and the photo turned out very well, but I also did this shoot with photo from my family all taken before I was born. I created a scene with a small tin box, a pair of my son's old glasses that I keep as a prop, and some pressed flowers. The photo that is the main focus is of my mom and sister when they were small children. My mom is the younger girl. I miss her and that is why I chose this particular image.

day11metalcontainer.jpg

I like this pulling on our heart strings. The included wire spectacles, is another useful guide to the venerable age of the treasured metal box.

Here you have given us a photograph of photographs! Each picture is a memory of a collections of memories going way back and relating to so many handed out stories and memories. Normally, the memento picture, like the perfect sunset or the Eiffel Tower lit up at night is good just for that. Here, your composition transcends the merely sentimental and makes us think of the passage of time and our own mortality.

Great job for thinking both inside and outside of the metal box, so to speak!

Asher

I like this pulling on our heart strings. The included wire spectacles, is another useful guide to the venerable age of the treasured metal box.

Here you have given us a photograph of photographs! Each picture is a memory of a collections of memories going way back and relating to so many handed out stories and memories. Normally, the memento picture, like the perfect sunset or the Eiffel Tower lit up at night is good just for that. Here, your composition transcends the merely sentimental and makes us think of the passage of time and our own mortality.

Great job for thinking both inside and outside of the metal box, so to speak!

Asher

My mom died when I was in my mid-20s and these photos are very precious to me as they are my only link to my family that I have never met except for my aunt, who is now also deceased. I regret that when I was young, not being interested enough to want to know all the stories about them all. I had never met my grandparents on either side and the only family I had here, was our little family. What I wouldn't give today to be able to go back and sit at her side and listen to our family's history. It's not to be. I was young and foolish and never realized that I would so crave for it today. :sigh: