• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Follow along on my 31 day challenge - Day 1&2

Day 12 of the 31 day challenge: Leaf.

Some of you may have seen a few months ago, several posts I did with leaves. When I saw today's challenge I was a little concerned that I would not be able to come up with anything else original as I had done so many versions but I did really like this one; I hope you will too!

day12lleafsmall.jpg

Day 13 of the 31 day challenge

Today was liquid.

I decided I would do a soap bubble. It is liquid but extremely hard to shoot. For anyone that thinks this would be easy, I beg you to try and get back to me! :-D anyways, I hope you like it.

day13liquid.jpg

Oh my oh my ... what a phantastic bubble, that is gorgous!!!
Did you use special lightsettings?

Thank you Wolfgang.

The shot was made as follows:
Shot with Window light at an angle
as I placed a foam core to the left and right to create a type of tent. light flowed in from the back
black background beneath
the water was in a small metal container, 1 1/2"high and 1"high (3.8cm high x 2.5cm wide). This was after experimenting as bigger containers caused the bubble to drift and it is already very hard to focus as the color drifts on the top of the bubble and you have to adjust manually all the time.
soap is dish soap with a bit of light pancake syrup ( just to give it a bit of thickness so the bubble doesn't break too easily.
bubble blown with a straw
Shot with a 105mm macro 2.8 but shot at F22
ISO 1250 ( I had to reduce noise, but I couldn't go lower)
1/160 sec. You can't go slower as the colors drift very quickly and slower makes for blurry colors

I will add this took a very long time to achieve.
I'm glad you like it :)
Maggie

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Today was liquid.

I decided I would do a soap bubble. It is liquid but extremely hard to shoot. For anyone that thinks this would be easy, I beg you to try and get back to me! :-D anyways, I hope you like it.

day13liquid.jpg

This is what it looked before the Big Bang, Maggie! Now I know what caused it - adding syrup to soap suds and the rest is relativity and the cosmos!

Asher

Today was liquid.

Hi Maggie,

Great result, and a creative interpretation of the 'liquid' subject. Well done!

I've enjoyed each image so far, and I am looking forward to the upcoming daily challenges.

Cheers,
Bart

Hi Maggie,

Great result, and a creative interpretation of the 'liquid' subject. Well done!

I've enjoyed each image so far, and I am looking forward to the upcoming daily challenges.

Cheers,
Bart
Thank you, Bart. Each day really is a challenge and it feels good to know people like you are watching and enjoying my interpretations.
Maggie

The 31 day challenge

Day 14 is Bottle.

Here is my interpretation. I've made several paper boats today to get it in the boat still looking like a boat. ha! How to make sure a boat gets across the ocean when the weather is stormy? Put it in a bottle, of course! :-D

day14bottle.jpg

Asher Kelman

The 31 day challenge

Day 14 is Bottle.

Here is my interpretation. I've made several paper boats today to get it in the boat still looking like a boat. ha! How to make sure a boat gets across the ocean when the weather is stormy? Put it in a bottle, of course! :-D

day14bottle.jpg

Yes, it's quite tricky to get the boats in bottles. Some of them are replete with complex sails and rigging. The masts go in bent and then are made upright with a hook.

A paper book is no less daunting.

Good brain! Your ingenuity makes me feel that perhaps women after all developed the big brains and men just inherited them!

Asher

day14bottle.jpg

Yes, it's quite tricky to get the boats in bottles. Some of them are replete with complex sails and rigging. The masts go in bent and then are made upright with a hook.

A paper book is no less daunting.

Good brain! Your ingenuity makes me feel that perhaps women after all developed the big brains and men just inherited them!

Asher

Ha! It's always good to know that you think I have a good brain. Probably why I sometimes over think things! :-D

Day 15 of the 31 day challenge was fruit on the outside

This first image is just for fun (not my photo of the day) but because of how the list was made, instead of saying fruit with skin attached, the outside meant I could take the shot out of doors. Now, where I live, it is snowing, and pears don't even grow here, but I thought it might be fun to string one up. I used a crochet hook ( at trick from a friend in Europe who hangs out her stale oliebollen after the holidays for the birds) to string it up. It was very cold and freezing out.

here is that shot:
day15fruitoutsideA.jpg

Then I took many, many different shots and had a hard time deciding which to use as my shot for the day, but decided on this one:
day15fruitoutside.jpg

Hope you are enjoying my adventure! :)

Asher Kelman

I am enjoying your latest pictures very much and try to also look to see what I can learn from these riches, as you are original and have a unique talent to make things crisply harmonious!

Asher

Day 20 of the challenge was vegetable(s)

I have always wanted to shoot an artichoke, so here was the perfect reason to

I hope you like it; I find it looks a bit like it was made out of wood.

day20veggoes.jpg

Day 21 of 31 - Basket

I'm really unhappy with my shot today. I did it earlier and only checked out my shots after supper and it's too late to redo my shoot tonight. I don't like the clementine that is right under one in the basket as I think it ruins the composition. I did another shoot with a very large basket filled with wine and cheese, wine glasses, fruit etc., but the basket is so huge that having that many items in it makes it just too busy. Putting less items in the basket makes it feel empty. Oh, well -- sigh -- there are going to be off days. :p

day21basketalt1.jpg