• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: SNS-HDR v1.3.8 to SNS-HDR v1.4.19

This is what I meant:

Ah, the OK and Cancel buttons don't fit. Do you know what PPI your display is set to? A common default is 96 PPI, but it can be different.

I also notice that you haven't set your monitor profile yet (monitor icon at the top will turn green if a profile is selected). I don't know if SNS-HDR defaults to sRGB if nothing is selected, but it might help if you don't have a colorspace profile for your display.

Cheers,
Bart

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Thanks Bart for your pointers in both the above and this. My DPI is set to 120 indeed but it's not been a problem in any other program I've ever used.

My screen is calibrated with a Spyder, where would I find the profile it uses with it's startup?

Thanks Bart for your pointers in both the above and this. My DPI is set to 120 indeed but it's not been a problem in any other program I've ever used.

I'll leave that one for Sebastian. I'd have thought that 120 would be okay, since the fonts are smaller. Probably something deeper under the hood.

My screen is calibrated with a Spyder, where would I find the profile it uses with it's startup?

Depends on the Windows version. Mine (Win 7) are in:
C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color

Cheers,
Bart

SNS-HDR v1.3.10

I released version 1.3.10 of the SNS-HDR.
1. Fixed reading of the some color profiles.
2. Fixed reading of the setup of thumbnails.

Last edited by a moderator:
SNS-HDR v1.3.11

I released version 1.3.11 of the SNS-HDR Pro/Home/Lite
1. Updated dcraw to version 0.9.7
2. Added Serbian, Dutch and Portuguese language interface.

SNS-HDR v1.3.12

I released version 1.3.12 of the SNS-HDR Pro/Home/Lite
1. Improved color mapping.
2. Added image orientation parameter and GPS data to metadata.

SNS-HDR v1.3.13

I released version 1.3.13 of the SNS-HDR Pro/Home
1. Fixes a bug that prevented the processing of Radiance HDR files in batch processing module.
2. Added Bulgarian language interface.

I may have found a bug.

I've just purchased SNS-HDR Pro and couldn't get batch processing to work.

I've been copying files to temporary directories to try SNS-HDR Pro Batch. I've tried copying as NEF, DNG, TIFF, JGP and as ProFoto, aRGB and sRGB. In each case the [Start] button was disabled.

The dialogue allows you to select the same directory as your output directory. However, it was not until I selected a different directory that the [Start] button became enabled and I could initiate a batch process.

If relevant, I have a win7-64 PC with 12GB RAM.

I may have found a bug.

I've just purchased SNS-HDR Pro and couldn't get batch processing to work.

I've been copying files to temporary directories to try SNS-HDR Pro Batch. I've tried copying as NEF, DNG, TIFF, JGP and as ProFoto, aRGB and sRGB. In each case the [Start] button was disabled.

The dialogue allows you to select the same directory as your output directory. However, it was not until I selected a different directory that the [Start] button became enabled and I could initiate a batch process.

If relevant, I have a win7-64 PC with 12GB RAM.

Hi Murray,

Strange, I have no problem activating the Batch Start button, even if I would select the same directory for the output (there's even a button to do that with one click, so it must be possible). I suppose it's best to send Sebastian a direct email (button at the bottom right of the SNS application screen), maybe he can figure out what's specific in your setup that could explain such behavior. My guess, it could have something to do with the GPU acceleration, so also mention your graphics card make and model to him.

Cheers,
Bart

Mark Hampton

hi,hi,

I joined the crew and got this software - simple to use - better than the cs5 hdr plug-in - only change i would ask for is on the batch side if you could specify a hdr template to apply (this may be there but I haven’t found it yet) to the whole folder.

the software does save time - well worth a look..

cheers

hi,hi,

I joined the crew and got this software - simple to use - better than the cs5 hdr plug-in - only change i would ask for is on the batch side if you could specify a hdr template to apply (this may be there but I haven’t found it yet) to the whole folder.

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the club ;-)

It uses the preset/settings you had selected last before creating the batch. When you save as an SNS filetype you can also revise the settings at a later stage.

the software does save time - well worth a look..

Indeed, very fast after the initial preprocessing (which can take a while depending on the hardware). It can also be used for very simple things like lighting up shadows, when you start from "Neutral" which is 'just' a basic blending of the exposures. It also works fine with a single e.g. JPG or TIFF file as input, but that may of course result in visible artifacts (noise) if pushed too far. I prefer using it with multiple TIFF input files, because it takes over the colorspace of the TIFFs, and I can do e.g. CA corrections in the Raw converter of choice. That way it also allows me to e.g. preprocess the shadow file with a slightly warmer colorbalance before blending in SNS.

Cheers,
Bart

Mark Hampton

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the club ;-)

It uses the preset/settings you had selected last before creating the batch. When you save as an SNS filetype you can also revise the settings at a later stage.

Indeed, very fast after the initial preprocessing (which can take a while depending on the hardware). It can also be used for very simple things like lighting up shadows, when you start from "Neutral" which is 'just' a basic blending of the exposures. It also works fine with a single e.g. JPG or TIFF file as input, but that may of course result in visible artifacts (noise) if pushed too far. I prefer using it with multiple TIFF input files, because it takes over the colorspace of the TIFFs, and I can do e.g. CA corrections in the Raw converter of choice. That way it also allows me to e.g. preprocess the shadow file with a slightly warmer colorbalance before blending in SNS.

Cheers,
Bart

Bart / Murray,

cheers for the info -

Bart - is your workflow - RAW (colour /ca /exposure corrections (etc) convert to tiff) > SNS > photoshop (or whaterver) ?

seems cool - i was using RAW / SNS without the tiff converstion in between. will give it a crack the otherway round (its like my still video workflow)

cheers

Bart - is your workflow - RAW (colour /ca /exposure corrections (etc) convert to tiff) > SNS > photoshop (or whatever) ?

Hi Mark,

Correct, although exposure corrections would be minimal (if any when bracketing), because it allows to use the best tools for the particular task, and to dictate the colorspace. With a direct Raw conversion we, sofar, have no control over the colorspace that SNS-HDR uses for the Raw conversions (although I believe the DCRaw engine is used). Currently it seems to default to sRGB, or the colorspace of the input files.

SNS-HDR is not the type of program to boost saturation through the roof (unles one chooses to do so), so most images will still be pretty good with a direct from Raw workflow to sRGB, but I like to keep my options open till the final output choice when we can still dumb down to fit the output gamut.

As mentioned, doing it via the more convoluted Raw to TIFF path, we also gain nifty possibilities to tweak the individual exposure brackets (e.g. colorbalance, or clone in/out a passing bird in one of the images, or a dust bunny we overlooked, etc.) before they are blended together.

Cheers,
Bart

I had noticed that it only takes the RAW files and not the sidecar files. As one who has a Lightroom-based workflow, I've thought it would be great if it were to pick up the sidecar files as well.

Then again, especially since I'm exporting to temporary directories to more easily process by the HDR bracket numbers, exporting as a TIFF makes a lot of sense and is just as easy.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Quick tip I've noticed, the program sharpens when using the 'micro contrast' sliders, set them to zero if you don't want any sharpening done, it was annoying me rather.

Mark Hampton

Quick tip I've noticed, the program sharpens when using the 'micro contrast' sliders, set them to zero if you don't want any sharpening done, it was annoying me rather.

I thought that was true for all programms where you can increase MC - always good to be reminded tho - some many programms and such a small mind to keep track ov them !

cheers

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Sebastian,

Hi,

I released version 1.4 of the SNS-HDR.

Regards,
Sebastian
Great news, thank you very much. Just the other day I was telling Bart that it has been a while since we have last seen a new version. :)

I just had a quick play with the new version. I like the masks obviously, as they add immense value by providing local adjustments. But I don't know how the brush is supposed to behave when the intelligent selection button is pressed; is it color range based perhaps? How do we change the size of the mask brush by the way? Or is it fixed?

Re. the sharpening slider, I would like to know more in detail what it does and how please.

Thanks again, great job.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It would be great if folk would give examples of how the treasures they like in SNS-HDR work. That way, others could learn to use it easier!

asher