• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: SNS-HDR v1.3.8 to SNS-HDR v1.4.19

Well I got the trial going as you will see form the watermark. Can't wait to have some extra cash and pick up this software!

6687484617_de8c51c790_z.jpg

SNS-HDR v1.4.10

Hi,

SNS-HDR v1.4.10 has been released.

1. Improved dynamic range compression.
2. Added "Highlights" parameter.
3. Improved "Black" parameter.
4. Modified presets.

Regards,
Sebastian

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi,

4. Modified presets.

Regards,
Sebastian
Kudos, Sebastian,

It's so impressive how you work so diligently to keep improving the software!

Asher

Hi,

4. Modified presets.

Regards,
Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for your continued effort, it's much appreciated.

Could you explain the function of the Highlights parameter? Am I correct in assuming that SNS-HDR in principle does not clip or shift shadows and highlights after reading the input file(s), it squeezes all the tonality that's present in the input files in the data we will modify with SNS-HDR.

However, if the lightest frame is light gray at the most, and/or the darkest frame is dark gray, then the Highlights and Black controls do allow to move that maximum/minimum tonality separately (towards or away from the limits), much as the Contrast control does for both at the same time?

I (and I know I'm not alone) would still love to have a visual feedback (preferably on the preview) when clipping occurs, especially useful now that we can easily modify the highlight position on the tonescale ...

Cheers,
Bart

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for your continued effort, it's much appreciated.

Could you explain the function of the Highlights parameter? Am I correct in assuming that SNS-HDR in principle does not clip or shift shadows and highlights after reading the input file(s), it squeezes all the tonality that's present in the input files in the data we will modify with SNS-HDR.

However, if the lightest frame is light gray at the most, and/or the darkest frame is dark gray, then the Highlights and Black controls do allow to move that maximum/minimum tonality separately (towards or away from the limits), much as the Contrast control does for both at the same time?

I (and I know I'm not alone) would still love to have a visual feedback (preferably on the preview) when clipping occurs, especially useful now that we can easily modify the highlight position on the tonescale ...

Cheers,
Bart
Fully agreed. These areas need to be "highlighted" (pun intended) for us to use the product to the best of our abilities.

Could you explain the function of the Highlights parameter?
Highlights parameter is equivalent to the Shadows parameter but this parameter is responsible for the bright areas. You can darken the sky by using this parameter.

Am I correct in assuming that SNS-HDR in principle does not clip or shift shadows and highlights after reading the input file(s), it squeezes all the tonality that's present in the input files in the data we will modify with SNS-HDR.

Yes, SNS-HDR never cut shadows and lights. SNS-HDR always operates on the curves.

I wonder what criteria to adopt.

Regards,
Sebastian

Highlights parameter is equivalent to the Shadows parameter but this parameter is responsible for the bright areas. You can darken the sky by using this parameter.

Ah, thanks. That's a bit different than I thought, now I can use it easier to achieve a specific goal.

Yes, SNS-HDR never cut shadows and lights. SNS-HDR always operates on the curves.

That also explains why you seemed a bit reluctant to implement e.g. a Highlight clipping indicator. According to some criteria one could say that SNS-HDR never clips any data, however ....

I wonder what criteria to adopt.

Here things get interesting (and with an opportunity to again do better than the rest of the industry). Traditional clipping is often seen simply as pixel values that exceed a certain limit (an upper or lower threshold, either fixed or user selectable). For example, one could say any pixel value above 254 in 8-bit in one color channel is considered clipped. But that isn't necessarily so, because perhaps that pixel was originally indeed 255, a little bit brighter than 254.

What I would consider to be clipping, is when I increase the exposure a little, and a pixel that was 254 now becomes 255, thus losing the difference with the real 255. Information gets lost, and I'd like a warning that that is the result of my editing. Maybe that's not a problem for the rest of the image, because there are now more pixel values for the other tones to use, but that's up to the judgement of the photographer. Sometimes it is no problem to clip a few specular highlights (losing the color and turning white), but sometimes it is important to keep the original subtle color differences (e.g. the colors of stars).

I understand that that is not easy to implement, because it requires comparing 2 exposure levels and histograms in at least 3 color channels, that's why traditionally the simple approach is taken (anything that's 255, or some other value, is considered clipped). It would be wonderful if you could implement a more revolutionary type of indicator than traditionally is done.

I used 255 as an 8-bit example, but there are also good arguments for setting an upper limit a bit lower (e.g. 253), because that will allow to avoid issues with featureless whites in inkjet prints where the dithering will be almost absent. Allowing the user to determine that limit would be perfect, but it adds a bit complexity to the user interface I understand that. A similar line of thought applies to the shadow end of the image, where printing on matte paper may lose some shadow detail, so one would like to avoid losses due to processing as much as possible and hope that the printer profile is good in keeping the detail that's there.

Cheers,
Bart

Editor tips:
  • Images can be dragged to the SNS-HDR directly from Windows Explorer.
  • Base image can be viewed by right-clicking on the image or hold down key N.
  • Left-click on the image to toggles the size of the image preview (fix/native).
  • Mouse wheel changes the zoom level.
  • Right-click on the slider to set the default value of the parameter (depending of the current profile).
  • Double-click left mouse button on the parameter slider to reset the parameter value.
  • Left-click on the parameter value to ​​activate numeric field of the parameter.
  • Can be set the parameter value from the keyboard if the numeric field is not active. Set the mouse cursor on the parameter slider.
  • The [H] buttons allow access to the parameters that operate only in lights areas.
  • Left-click in the curves field to add node to curve. Right-click to remove the node.
  • Use mouse wheel to change the range of the selected node of the curve.
  • Use left mouse button to paint area of the layer mask. Use right mouse button to erasing paint.
  • Brush size is dependent on the zoom level. If the zoom is high, the brush is small and vice versa.
  • Can be move the enlarged image when edit the mask. Hold the spacebar.
  • Can be change panels location. Press and hold the left mouse button on the panel header and drag the panel to anywhere.
  • Batch processing module uses the current set of parameters. Recommended: load one image into SNS-HDR Pro, set image parameters, run the batch processing.
  • Images saved in the SNS format can be re-edited in the SNS-HDR. This format stores the image, masks and parameters.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Extremely helpful! A few I'd already worked out or were obvious but this is a very good tutorial for how to access options and features, thanks!

Here things get interesting (and with an opportunity to again do better than the rest of the industry). Traditional clipping is often seen simply as pixel values that exceed a certain limit (an upper or lower threshold, either fixed or user selectable). For example, one could say any pixel value above 254 in 8-bit in one color channel is considered clipped. But that isn't necessarily so, because perhaps that pixel was originally indeed 255, a little bit brighter than 254.

What I would consider to be clipping, is when I increase the exposure a little, and a pixel that was 254 now becomes 255, thus losing the difference with the real 255. Information gets lost, and I'd like a warning that that is the result of my editing. Maybe that's not a problem for the rest of the image, because there are now more pixel values for the other tones to use, but that's up to the judgement of the photographer. Sometimes it is no problem to clip a few specular highlights (losing the color and turning white), but sometimes it is important to keep the original subtle color differences (e.g. the colors of stars).

I understand that that is not easy to implement, because it requires comparing 2 exposure levels and histograms in at least 3 color channels, that's why traditionally the simple approach is taken (anything that's 255, or some other value, is considered clipped). It would be wonderful if you could implement a more revolutionary type of indicator than traditionally is done.

I used 255 as an 8-bit example, but there are also good arguments for setting an upper limit a bit lower (e.g. 253), because that will allow to avoid issues with featureless whites in inkjet prints where the dithering will be almost absent. Allowing the user to determine that limit would be perfect, but it adds a bit complexity to the user interface I understand that. A similar line of thought applies to the shadow end of the image, where printing on matte paper may lose some shadow detail, so one would like to avoid losses due to processing as much as possible and hope that the printer profile is good in keeping the detail that's there.
Thanks Bart for your advice, I will think about this.

Regards,
Sebastian

Hi,

SNS-HDR v1.4.11 has been released.

1. Improved support for color profiles.
2. Fixed copying EXIF ​​data.
3. Fixed controls scaling (if use large fonts in the operating system).

Regards,
Sebastian

Hi,

SNS-HDR v1.4.12 has been released.

1. Improved support for monitor color profiles.
2. Fixed white balance tool.
3. Fixed the sharpening parameter.
4. Reduced halo effect.

Regards,
Sebastian

Hi,

SNS-HDR v1.4.14 has been released.

1. Modified white balance tool.
2. RGB parameters replaced by a graphical tool.
3. Added ability to specify a color profile for the source images stored in Radiance HDR and OpenEXR formats.
4. Fixed reading of grayscale images.
5. Fixed saving of images on the desktop.

Regards,
Sebastian

Cem_Usakligil

Hi,

SNS-HDR v1.4.14 has been released.

1. Modified white balance tool.
2. RGB parameters replaced by a graphical tool.
3. Added ability to specify a color profile for the source images stored in Radiance HDR and OpenEXR formats.
4. Fixed reading of grayscale images.
5. Fixed saving of images on the desktop.

Regards,
Sebastian
Thanks Sebastian, I have downloaded it and it looks good as usual. However: in my humble opinion not everything gui is better. I actually liked being able to change the RGB parameters numerically. The new tool is too rough and one can only make adjustments visually without knowing how much of what is being adjusted. This also makes repeating the same adjustment for another picture impossible unless one saves the adjustment as a preset. Just my 0.02 cents. :)

Thanks Sebastian, I have downloaded it and it looks good as usual. However: in my humble opinion not everything gui is better. I actually liked being able to change the RGB parameters numerically. The new tool is too rough and one can only make adjustments visually without knowing how much of what is being adjusted. This also makes repeating the same adjustment for another picture impossible unless one saves the adjustment as a preset. Just my 0.02 cents. :)
Ok, I would add the possibility to switch the view - graphics field / sliders.

You are too generous Sebastian and I appreciate it. However, you need not change it purely on my account. Let's wait and see if some other users shall also comment on that aspect.

I agree, having both options would be best. Even a compromise (to avoid a cluttered screen) without sliders, just 3 input boxes that show the actual RGB offset values below the graphic presentation and which can be edited (when the mouse is hovering over the box, or clicked) like the other controls, would be enough.

Even better than three R/G/B controls, would be a color temperature and tint control when we are changing the color balance. It's a more natural way of thinking for a photographer, even if the actual controls are implemented as R/G/B in the program code.

Cheers,
Bart

Hi,

SNS-HDR v1.4.16 has been released.

1. Improved works with the tablet.
2. Improved color reproduction.
3. Fixed auto-rotate images.
4. Accelerated the process of image analysis.

Regards,
Sebastian

Hi,

SNS-HDR v1.4.17 has been released.

1. Improved protection of lights.
2. Added ability to import and export individual presets.
3. Added notification about updates.
4. Added ability to specify output file name in SNS-HDR Lite.

Regards,
Sebastian

Sebastian, an enhancement request:

Currently when you define a mask and then click one of the presets (with the mask active), the underlying image changes according to the preset. I think it would be useful, fast and powerful if only the masked area changed to match the preset.